Gizmo

  • Aimee Collins
    Message 1 of 23 , Dec 5, 2005
      Gizmo has also thrown up a few more times throughout the nite. I dont know what to do. Poor guy!! Could he be sick or is this a symptom of something??

    • millefont1
      Message 2 of 23 , Dec 5, 2005
        It's always something, isn't it...?! Poor kitties and poor humans,
        too. It's especially hard to figure out what to do about vomiting
        since it can be caused by so many different conditions. Not sure if
        what I'm about to suggest will be much help to Gizmo, but at least
        it can't hurt. Pease has both HCM and IBD, and of late, her main
        remaining symptom of the IBD is vomiting bile in the mornings. We've
        started adding 3/4 tsp. off Lactobacillus reuteri to her regimen,
        and she's only vomited once in the last 5 days---a record, for her.
        Not a sure cure, but it does seem to have helped significantly.
        Good luck.
        Susan and Peaseblossom

        --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, Aimee Collins
        <aimeecollins@s...> wrote:

        > Gizmo has also thrown up a few more times throughout the nite. I
        dont know what to do. Poor guy!! Could he be sick or is this a
        symptom of something??

      • protectanimals
        Message 3 of 23 , Dec 5, 2005
          Aimee, I'm wondering if Gizmo ate something that was toxic to him.
          Any possibility that he got into some plant matter or something else?
          Any new plants like poinsetta or mistletoe in the house? Any evidence
          of plant matter or anything else coming up with the vomit?

          Keep us posted....Meredith with Monkey

          Message 4 of 23 , Dec 7, 2005
            Well I called the cardiologist and spoke to her 3 times. She said that this was not due to the heart problem. She thinks that maybe it could be a hairball situation. But I am wondering why he would throw up. I am going to see how he is doing tonite thru the nit and if he still does it then I will take him to the regular vet in the morning. Wow, its never ending. Well I am opng that he is just better here at home. I have been with him al day and he has been sleeping. Although this am I had to give him more lasix due to his labored breathing. He did barf twice today. I am feeling overwhelmed. Thats the update on him. Thanks for listening.

          • millefont1
            Message 5 of 23 , Dec 7, 2005
              Geez, Aimee! This is a true case of pouring when it rains....You
              must be exhausted. And poor Gizmo, too. We're pulling for no more
              nausea and a peaceful night for you both.

              Message 6 of 23 , Dec 11, 2005
                Well the weirdest thing happened this morning. Gizmo was laying down and we were playing with him. He looked almost like he could not move and let out a big wail. When I treied to go near him, he let out a big serious hiss at me and puffed his tail. I am wondering if he was throwing a clot??? Also then he was fine and I waited to see if he could walk and he was fine. Later he started that coughing thing again and his breathing became labored. I gave him an extra dose of Lasix and now he is breathing better and just laying on the floor. Anyon seen this ever hapen???-Aimee

              • millefont1
                Message 7 of 23 , Dec 12, 2005
                  Hi, Aimee---just wondering how Gizmo's doing...
                  Susan and Peaseblossom
                • Aimee Collins
                  Message 8 of 23 , Dec 22, 2005
                    The vet just called me and they have Gizmos ashes, I feel sick. I told them that I would like to wait until next week to pick them up. I think that I will freak out a bit knowing that it is him in there. ..Aimee

                  • TMack_inOhio
                    Message 9 of 23 , Dec 22, 2005
                      Aimee,
                      I too had to resolve myself when I picked up Caspar's ashes a couple
                      weeks ago. Remember though, it's only his remains that are in there.
                      His spirit crossed the bridge when he left this world. Let your
                      loving memories of Gizmo help you through this trying time. It sounds
                      like he had a wonderful life with you. Concentrate on the great times
                      you had together. It's not easy, I know having recently been there
                      myself.

                      On a somewhat related note, right around the day Caspar passed away,
                      our next door neighbor took in a pregnant stray and she delivered 4
                      healthy kittens! I didn't think we'd get another cat so soon, but
                      this seems almost too karmic. They're going to keep mom and 2 of her
                      offspring, and it looks like we'll be bringing the other two into our
                      home. Lucky, lucky kitties, just like Gizmo, Caspar and all the
                      others mentioned on this board.

                      TMcG

                      wrote:

                      > The vet just called me and they have Gizmos ashes, I feel sick. I
                      told them that I would like to wait until next week to pick them up. I
                      think that I will freak out a bit knowing that it is him in
                      there. ..Aimee

                    • plplat2003
                      Message 10 of 23 , Dec 22, 2005
                        Aimee, when I collected the ashes of my Justin (who died in 2002 of
                        oral squamous cell cancer) and of my Kallie (who died of asthma this
                        past June), it was hard, so hard. But some comfort DID come just
                        knowing that they were home and safe. I kept Justin's and Kallie's
                        ashes physically close to me for a while; now both are in the den
                        where I can see them.

                        I agree that going alone isn't a great idea. A friend to give you
                        emotional support will make the difficult task easier.

                        May 2006 bring you peace!

                        Paula

                        wrote:

                        > The vet just called me and they have Gizmos ashes, I feel sick. I
                        told them that I would like to wait until next week to pick them up. I
                        think that I will freak out a bit knowing that it is him in there. ..Aimee

                      • Lisa Clarizia
                        Message 11 of 23 , Dec 22, 2005
                          The hardest part of picking up Baby Boy's ashes was seeing all the vet techs
                          because we all started crying again. They usually send a sympathy card
                          whenever a patient passes away, but the one they sent me had some really
                          wonderful personal messages from nearly everyone on the staff to me about
                          Baby Boy (who they knew by his real name, Rebound Kitty). We spent a lot of
                          time up there and they knew him very well. I got a thank you card for them,
                          wrote a message about how much I appreciated all their help and many acts of
                          kindness (like only charging me for maybe half of all the work they actually
                          did) and I included two pictures of Baby Boy taken well into his illness,
                          showing what looked like a happy, healthy cat. They did an awful lot to
                          help us, and I know they loved him too.

                          Lisa

                          --
                          Many have forgotten this truth but you must not forget it. We remain
                          responsible forever, for what we have tamed.

                          Antoine de Saint-Exupery.