Re: [FH] Thanks, one more question

  • Sue at MAGDRL
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 1, 2005
      Vickie,

      One comment on the potassium. Do NOT give your cat potassium supplements
      without your vet's approval. High levels of potassium can kill a cat and
      cats don't always lose potassium the way people do when they're taking
      diuretics. The only way to tell is with a blood test. If you kitty is
      weak, talk to your vet and request a blood test.

      Sue

      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 1, 2005
        You can buy potassium gluconate OTC, and for much less than vets charge. I
        bought 3 pounds (yes, pounds) of NOW pure potassium gluconate powder for
        less than $20. http://members.verizon.net/~vze2r6qt/supplies/potassium.htm

        But don't supplement without knowing that your cat's
        potassium is low.

        Mittens was on potassium supplements (for CRF) before he started Lasix and
        Enalapril. Even though the Lasix drains potassium, the Enalapril conserves
        it so well that he no longer needed potassium. Never assume that the cat
        needs potassium without blood work.

        Linda