Questions about Spencer's condition

  • luanne.pelletier@servicecanada.gc.ca
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 29, 2005
      Hi guys,

      I was speaking to my vet today and now I understand Spencer's condition much better.

      I still have a few questions tho so I was hoping someone here might have experience or advice to offer. Spencer has bradycardia and 3rd degree blockage (which I now know means that there is a problem with the conduction in his heart (as Jen explained) and Spencer's problem is between the sinus and AV node).

      I'm at home and unfortunately I do not have the Internet at home. I only have access to my work email so I'm not able to look anything up and everything I have printed out at home has to do with HOCM etc. I'm wondering which meds are indicated for Spencer's condition. I know that alot of them are contra-indicated when there's a heart block so how do we treat a cat like Spencer?

      His heart rate is extremely slow tonight and it sounds really awful. It's only approx 42 bpm, but he's still acting perfectly fine. I'll check it again before bed. I'm keeping track of it so when we go to the vet on Saturday we'll have a good picture of his resting heart rate w/o the stress from the vet visit.

      I really don't think he should be taking atenolol now. I realize why they put him on it initially because he had the opposite problems, PVCs, hypertension, pulse deficit, fast heart rate etc so it seemed ok but now that his PVCs are under control, it's obvious that he has the 3rd degree blockage and now bradycardia due to the atenolol.

      What's worse tho? PVCs (and his were very bad), hypertension etc or bradycardia? I'm not sure how we should handle his case at this point. Now I know why the doctor who interpretted the ECG wrote "Good luck on the management of this challenging case."

      Any thoughts?

      Thanks,

      Luanne