Re: [feline-heart] Trembling in back leg

  • Voula Augerinos
    Message 1 of 16 , Mar 22, 2001
      Hi Helen and Cynthia,
      I will ask the vet about the potassium question. I won't give any
      potassium without knowing if Pebbles' current level warrants it. The range
      on Pebbles' blood test results for potassium seems a little different to
      ranges I have seen quoted. 4.6 is the top of the range. 4.7 would be
      considered higher than the normal range. So Pebbles' potassium was not
      middle of normal range, it was high normal.
      As you say Cynthia this may have changed with the extra fluids lately.
      But I think we need to do a blood test to find this out. Too much potassium
      can be dangerous for the heart. When Pebbles had the cystitis a couple of
      weeks ago, her potassium was over normal and she was getting twitching in
      her back. The vet said high potassium can cause heart failure. So I want to
      be really careful with this. I do feel intuitively that this is a back
      problem causing the leg problem. But I will speak to the vet today about
      everything. Meanwhile Pebbles' leg seems a little improved today. When she
      get off the bed she is definitely protecting her left leg.

      http://www.geocities.com/vaugerinos/
      (Sachie's tribute page, and photos of Sachie and Pebbles.)