Buttons Update

  • Angela Pippi
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 5, 2005
      Well, we had our third cardio appt yesterday (another 6 hour appt) and it was very disappointing again. The fluid was still around his lungs and he had to be drained for a third time - this time on both sides plus he had to have blood taken to check his kidneys. The bottom line is the pills aren't working so now they put him on two new pills: one for thyroid - tapazole (1/2 pill twice a day) and another diuretic - spironolact 25 mg – ¼ of tablet every 12 hours . We also increased the lasix to 60 mg a day. This is our last attempt at stopping this I think. Even the cardiologist said that she was disappointed and they we can try a chest tap one more time but we shouldn't put him through that over and over again. I am heart broken and trying not to give up hope. The vet said she still had hope that these new meds would work. He has to go back again on Nov. 16th. The only good news is that his kidneys are still fine.

      I am hanging on to the hope that all of this new stuff will work. Otherwise, I just don't know.....when the vet even tells you that if we can't stop the fluid from coming, that there is nothing else we can do, it is not good.

      Buttons is not acting himself anymore. Everytime I come near him he runs under the bed because he is afraid we are going to the vet again!! It is terrible. I hope he snaps out of it! I feel horrible.

      Any suggestions. What do you all think?

      Angela and Buttons

      test'; " type=text/css>

    • Lisa Clarizia
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 5, 2005
        Hey Angela,

        I know that wasn't the best news to get, but there is some reason to hope
        still.

        Button's HCM is quite possibly caused, or if present before, aggravated by
        the hyper-T. I'm sure the cardiologist told you that if the hyper-T is
        treated the HCM has a good chance of reversing. That alone is an excellent
        reason to try and treat this aggressively -- unlike many heart kitties
        (where you do want to question whether or not it's worth aggressive
        treatment, especially in the latter stages), he has at least a chance of
        getting better.

        Chest taps are no fun (I've been through about 14 of them with my cat) but
        occasionally necessary, and hopefully the addition of the spironolactone
        will help him a great deal -- it really helped my Baby Boy. The hiding, the
        not acting like himself are also no fun ... but, this has to be put into
        context of whether or not his feeling bad right now is worth it, given that
        Buttons could possibly recover wholly or in part.

        Baby Boy went through repeated chest taps last year -- he'd have a week
        where he had a tap every day or every other day, do fine for a couple of
        weeks, then more chest taps ... and it did look like we were getting to the
        end. I started him on supplements, and he bounded back. This isn't the same
        thing as Buttons, Baby Boy has DCM not HCM, he has no chance of being cured,
        and his 'recovery' is quite unusual, so I don't want to pretend that's what
        ALWAYS happens when you start giving your cat vitamins. I mention it because
        ... if I hadn't put him through all those taps, when my own dear vet thought
        I was nuts for doing so, he wouldn't have had a year of feeling good. The
        worst part about this stupid disease is that what you should do is rarely
        obvious or clear-cut.

        I don't know how helpful that is for you ... I guess you should just
        evaluate what you're willing to do in light of his chances of
        recovery/control from/of the hypert-T. If he has a good chance of recovery
        from that, or controlling it, he may regain significant heart function and
        in that instance, it might be worth putting him through repeated taps until
        he recovers enough that the fluid isn't an issue.

        Lisa

        --
        Lisa Clarizia
        lclarizia@...

      • Angela Pippi
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 16, 2005
          Hello everyone. Buttons had another cardiologist appointment today and good news! - It looks like the fluid he had a problem with is under control. Although there was still a small bit of fluid around his lungs, it was not enough to be dangerous or to require another chest tap. Now, I am just waiting for kidney test results when the vet calls me tonight. If his kidneys are still okay, the cardio might adjust some of his medication doses. Other that that, we are in the clear for now. He still needs to have his thyroid, liver and white blood count checked in a couple of weeks. At least this appointment was only a couple hours today versus the 6-8 hours they usually are!

          Ang and Buttons

          Angela and Buttons