Re: [FH] cranberry and urinary tract infections?

  • savionna@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 2, 2005
      Hi Tanya,

      In a message dated 11/2/05 10:44:49 PM, elderta_2001@... writes:

      << I'm in the process of

      changing Zanzibar's food from MaxCat to something better, like

      PetGuard or Wellness. >>

      Excellent. Good for you for taking nutrition seriously.

      << But I read earlier that Welness has cranberries

      in it and that can lead to urinary tract infections if a cat is prone

      to them? Did I understand that correctly? >>

      No, you did not. It's just the opposite. Cranberry (along with blueberry and
      other members of the Vaccinium genus) contains compounds that help prevent and
      inhibit bacterial infections in the urinary tract. They work by inhibiting
      the bacteria's ability to adhere to the urinary tract lining's walls.

      The problem referred to in the earlier post was the cranberry may (repeat:
      may) acidify the urine, which, along with concentrated urine, is a risk factor
      for calcium oxalate crystals in some cats (which is a separate issue from
      bacterial infection). But that is a complicated issue. Whether cranberry will lower
      the urinary pH is individual (in cats and humans)...and depends in part on
      the concentration of certain compounds in the plant (which depends on how the
      plant was raised and processed), the amt of cranberry ingested, the cat's diet,
      and interaction between the compounds, the diet, and the cat. It's also
      important to consider how much cranberry is in the product when evaluating its
      nutritional profile. In Wellness flavors, cranberry is around ingredient #12...and
      in Nature's Variety, it's around ingredient #20.

      << Zanzi's had two infections

      in her lifetime, both pretty painful. Should I not feed her food with

      cranberries? >>

      Bacterial infections? (As opposed to struvite or cal oxalate crystals, or
      sterile cystitis.) If the cat ever has another bacterial infection, cranberry
      extract is an option for reducing the bacterial load.

      << She hates the vitamin paste >>

      What vitamin paste?

      << She's been constipated, so I gave her some psyllium husks tonight

      until I can go and buy something else. >>

      Some other options incl adding a small amt of soluble plant fiber to the
      canned food, something like 1/4-1/2 tsp pure pumpkin or grated zucchini or winter
      squash. Another is to add about 5-10 drops as needed of pure aloe vera
      inner-leaf juice (no sodium benzoate, no aloin, no emodin; see
      www.lilyofthedesert.com). // Rosemary
    • Sue B
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 3, 2005
        Tanya,

        Cranberry helps to heal urinary tract infections since it's a natural
        antibiotic. It's a good thing!

        Sue