Re: [FH] So my baby boys have heart murmurs too

  • taloah2000
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 2, 2005
      Sue, your girl is beautiful! I always said the only way I'd get
      another cat was if a Maine Coon rescue fell in my lap like my last
      guy - he was such a love. But Dexter is so much like one that I am
      seriously tempted to keep him (though am a bit leery of having foster
      kids who may have major issues around him). Thanks for the tip on
      Missing Link - I will stay away!

      Anyone know of any other good powdered supplement that I could mix my
      taurine, TMG, and carnitine in to simplify life a bit?

      Lisa, I guess I need to find out more about how efficiently TMG is
      converted into DMG since it seems to be the more important
      supplement. I had TMG already since I take it to keep my own
      homocysteine levels down and ward off depression. Thanks for the
      explanation - I didn't realize DMG had a function beyond methyl
      donation.

      Thank you for your help!

      Lisa

      --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, Lisa Clarizia <lclarizia@g...>
      wrote:

      > Sue (and Lisa),
      >
      > It wasn't me ... Rosemary's the nutrional guru :)
      >
      > Baby Boy gets DMG (dimethylglycine) and TMG (trimethylglycine) --
      they are
      > different, aside from the number of methyl groups, they do
      different things.

      > DMG serves as an oxygen transport molecule and methyl donor in the
      > respiratory cycle of cells. It is dervived from TMG in the body,
      which in
      > turn is derived from choline. I give this because Baby Boy's heart
      has the
      > elasticity of a sandwich baggie and I figure he needs all the help
      with
      > oxygenation he can get.
      >
      > TMG, on the other hand, methylates and detoxifies homocysteine
      (which is
      > harmful) to form methionine (an amino acid). It's debatable how
      much good
      > the elimination of homocysteine will actually do for a cat with a
      > cardiomyopathy, since homocysteine is implicated in coronary artery
      disease,
      > not cardiomyopathy -- but I give it on the theory that if it helps
      protect
      > the integrity of the blood vessel linings, it can't hurt and may
      have a
      > *slight* benefit in terms of preventing clot formation.
      >
      > Basically, if you were to give just one (and with so many cats
      getting
      > buckets of supplements, you might want to do this) I'd give TMG,
      since you
      > will end up with DMG as a breakdown product of TMG.
      >
      > Lisa
      >
      > On 11/2/05, Sue B <rockii@o...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Lisa,
      > >
      > > I never heard of TMG and would love to hear what other people
      have to say.

      > > I was feeding Missing Link but someone here (Rosemary or Lisa?)
      mentioned
      > > that it's really not appropriately formulated for cats. The Kelp
      contains
      > > something that may actually be harmful and there's too many
      carbohydrates.

      > > My girl is a Maine Coon - I absolutely love her personality -
      > > http://www.magdrl-nj.com/Pepper.html
      > >

      > > Sue

      Link?"
      > > > I was thinking it might be easier to mix a proportionate amount
      of
      > > > each of the powdered supplements in with it rather than having
      > > > mash up a new Carnitine (and potentially TMG) every day. Any
      thoughts
      > > > on whether this stuff is truly useful or not?
      > > >
      > > > Thanks!
      > > >
      > > > Lisa (and foster kitties Dexter, Tinytim, and Cameron, and
      forever
      > > > kitty Gracie)

      > > > this group

      > > > affect
      > > > her rabies
      > > > was the

    • MJ Johnson
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 2, 2005
        Tinytim is so cute! Where do you live? Michigan?
        [She asked hopefully?]

        I have two older kitties, one with both HCM and CRF,
        but it wouldn't preclude adoption of a new fur baby,
        or at least help finding a home for him : )

        And our furry family commends you for being such a
        good kitty mom to look after your little ones.

        Sending you great kitty karma and wishes for homes for
        your babies,
        MJ & Rupert & Bimmer
        >^..^<

        __________________________________
        http://farechase.yahoo.com
      • taloah2000
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 2, 2005
          Sorry - I am in Metro DC. But yeah, he is utterly adorable. :) And I
          really couldn't have done anything else - I am glad to have the chance
          to get them started on a good life. I do so hope their little hearts
          are ok so that they will be easy to place.

          I dunno what it is with me and pets I have fostered/adopted - the
          first cat I got from the animal shelter had a double heart murmur
          (she's with my mom now as she likes to go outside and I won't let her
          here - 7 yrs old and going strong), my foster dog had a heart murmur
          and arrhythmia , though not serious, and now three out of four foster
          kitties have heart murmurs!!

          Thank you for the good wishes for my little guys. :)

        • savionna@aol.com
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 2, 2005
            Hi Lisa,

            In a message dated 11/2/05 11:29:07 AM, lisabee@... writes:

            << And is anyone using the supplement "Missing Link?" >>

            No.

            << Any thoughts

            on whether this stuff is truly useful or not? >>

            It is not the slightest bit useful to anyone other than the mfr, which
            profits from our ignorance.

            These are the primary ingredients in the product: flax seed, blackstrap
            molasses, rice bran, primary dried yeast, freeze dried liver, sunflower seed,
            dehydrated alfalfa, dried carrot, freeze dried bone, dried fish meal, freeze dried
            oyster, sprouted green barley, dried kelp, lecithin, garlic, and yucca
            schidigera extract.

            With the exception of liver and bone (and we don't know from which species),
            none of those ingredients bears any resemblance to any food that cats have
            eaten thruout their evolutionary history, nor do they have a nutritional profile
            that compares with any food in the cat's evolutionary diet. There is no valid
            nutritional reason to feed a cat any of those ingredients...nor to use the
            product, not least of all b/c there is no information on what nutrients those
            ingredients contain and in what amts. If a cat really needs the nutrients in a
            carrot (and it doesn't), why not feed a carrot? Further, many of the ingredients
            are potentially problematic. Just a few examples: alfalfa contains cavanine,
            which can block arginine, an essential amino acid for cats; kelp can affect
            thyroid function; and garlic is a risk factor for a type of anemia.

            If the cat truly needs nutritional support, there is a good multisupplement
            available called NuCat (www.vetriscience.com), also sold as Tabby Tabs by a
            sister company (www.usanimalnutritionals.com). And there are quality human brand
            supplements available for many individual nutrients. // Rosemary