Re: [FH] So my baby boys have heart murmurs too

  • Sue B
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 2, 2005
      Lisa,

      I never heard of TMG and would love to hear what other people have to say.

      I was feeding Missing Link but someone here (Rosemary or Lisa?) mentioned
      that it's really not appropriately formulated for cats. The Kelp contains
      something that may actually be harmful and there's too many carbohydrates.

      My girl is a Maine Coon - I absolutely love her personality -
      http://www.magdrl-nj.com/Pepper.html

      Sue

      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 2, 2005
        Sue (and Lisa),

        It wasn't me ... Rosemary's the nutrional guru :)

        Baby Boy gets DMG (dimethylglycine) and TMG (trimethylglycine) -- they are
        different, aside from the number of methyl groups, they do different things.

        DMG serves as an oxygen transport molecule and methyl donor in the
        respiratory cycle of cells. It is dervived from TMG in the body, which in
        turn is derived from choline. I give this because Baby Boy's heart has the
        elasticity of a sandwich baggie and I figure he needs all the help with
        oxygenation he can get.

        TMG, on the other hand, methylates and detoxifies homocysteine (which is
        harmful) to form methionine (an amino acid). It's debatable how much good
        the elimination of homocysteine will actually do for a cat with a
        cardiomyopathy, since homocysteine is implicated in coronary artery disease,
        not cardiomyopathy -- but I give it on the theory that if it helps protect
        the integrity of the blood vessel linings, it can't hurt and may have a
        *slight* benefit in terms of preventing clot formation.

        Basically, if you were to give just one (and with so many cats getting
        buckets of supplements, you might want to do this) I'd give TMG, since you
        will end up with DMG as a breakdown product of TMG.

        Lisa

        --
        Lisa Clarizia
        lclarizia@...

      • Sue B
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 2, 2005
          Lisa,

          Interesting.... What form do you use and how much? I'm current giving Pepper .5 ml twice daily of the liquid DMG from US Animal Nutritionals.

          Where do you get yours?

          Sue

          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 2, 2005
            Sue, your girl is beautiful! I always said the only way I'd get
            another cat was if a Maine Coon rescue fell in my lap like my last
            guy - he was such a love. But Dexter is so much like one that I am
            seriously tempted to keep him (though am a bit leery of having foster
            kids who may have major issues around him). Thanks for the tip on
            Missing Link - I will stay away!

            Anyone know of any other good powdered supplement that I could mix my
            taurine, TMG, and carnitine in to simplify life a bit?

            Lisa, I guess I need to find out more about how efficiently TMG is
            converted into DMG since it seems to be the more important
            supplement. I had TMG already since I take it to keep my own
            homocysteine levels down and ward off depression. Thanks for the
            explanation - I didn't realize DMG had a function beyond methyl
            donation.

            Thank you for your help!

            Lisa

            --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, Lisa Clarizia <lclarizia@g...>
            wrote:

            > Sue (and Lisa),
            >
            > It wasn't me ... Rosemary's the nutrional guru :)
            >
            > Baby Boy gets DMG (dimethylglycine) and TMG (trimethylglycine) --
            they are
            > different, aside from the number of methyl groups, they do
            different things.

            > DMG serves as an oxygen transport molecule and methyl donor in the
            > respiratory cycle of cells. It is dervived from TMG in the body,
            which in
            > turn is derived from choline. I give this because Baby Boy's heart
            has the
            > elasticity of a sandwich baggie and I figure he needs all the help
            with
            > oxygenation he can get.
            >
            > TMG, on the other hand, methylates and detoxifies homocysteine
            (which is
            > harmful) to form methionine (an amino acid). It's debatable how
            much good
            > the elimination of homocysteine will actually do for a cat with a
            > cardiomyopathy, since homocysteine is implicated in coronary artery
            disease,
            > not cardiomyopathy -- but I give it on the theory that if it helps
            protect
            > the integrity of the blood vessel linings, it can't hurt and may
            have a
            > *slight* benefit in terms of preventing clot formation.
            >
            > Basically, if you were to give just one (and with so many cats
            getting
            > buckets of supplements, you might want to do this) I'd give TMG,
            since you
            > will end up with DMG as a breakdown product of TMG.
            >
            > Lisa
            >
            > On 11/2/05, Sue B <rockii@o...> wrote:
            > >
            > > Lisa,
            > >
            > > I never heard of TMG and would love to hear what other people
            have to say.

            > > I was feeding Missing Link but someone here (Rosemary or Lisa?)
            mentioned
            > > that it's really not appropriately formulated for cats. The Kelp
            contains
            > > something that may actually be harmful and there's too many
            carbohydrates.

            > > My girl is a Maine Coon - I absolutely love her personality -
            > > http://www.magdrl-nj.com/Pepper.html
            > >

            > > Sue

          • MJ Johnson
            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 2, 2005
              Tinytim is so cute! Where do you live? Michigan?
              [She asked hopefully?]

              I have two older kitties, one with both HCM and CRF,
              but it wouldn't preclude adoption of a new fur baby,
              or at least help finding a home for him : )

              And our furry family commends you for being such a
              good kitty mom to look after your little ones.

              Sending you great kitty karma and wishes for homes for
              your babies,
              MJ & Rupert & Bimmer
              >^..^<

              __________________________________
              http://farechase.yahoo.com
            • taloah2000
              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 2, 2005
                Sorry - I am in Metro DC. But yeah, he is utterly adorable. :) And I
                really couldn't have done anything else - I am glad to have the chance
                to get them started on a good life. I do so hope their little hearts
                are ok so that they will be easy to place.

                I dunno what it is with me and pets I have fostered/adopted - the
                first cat I got from the animal shelter had a double heart murmur
                (she's with my mom now as she likes to go outside and I won't let her
                here - 7 yrs old and going strong), my foster dog had a heart murmur
                and arrhythmia , though not serious, and now three out of four foster
                kitties have heart murmurs!!

                Thank you for the good wishes for my little guys. :)

              • savionna@aol.com
                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 2, 2005
                  Hi Lisa,

                  In a message dated 11/2/05 11:29:07 AM, lisabee@... writes:

                  << And is anyone using the supplement "Missing Link?" >>

                  No.

                  << Any thoughts

                  on whether this stuff is truly useful or not? >>

                  It is not the slightest bit useful to anyone other than the mfr, which
                  profits from our ignorance.

                  These are the primary ingredients in the product: flax seed, blackstrap
                  molasses, rice bran, primary dried yeast, freeze dried liver, sunflower seed,
                  dehydrated alfalfa, dried carrot, freeze dried bone, dried fish meal, freeze dried
                  oyster, sprouted green barley, dried kelp, lecithin, garlic, and yucca
                  schidigera extract.

                  With the exception of liver and bone (and we don't know from which species),
                  none of those ingredients bears any resemblance to any food that cats have
                  eaten thruout their evolutionary history, nor do they have a nutritional profile
                  that compares with any food in the cat's evolutionary diet. There is no valid
                  nutritional reason to feed a cat any of those ingredients...nor to use the
                  product, not least of all b/c there is no information on what nutrients those
                  ingredients contain and in what amts. If a cat really needs the nutrients in a
                  carrot (and it doesn't), why not feed a carrot? Further, many of the ingredients
                  are potentially problematic. Just a few examples: alfalfa contains cavanine,
                  which can block arginine, an essential amino acid for cats; kelp can affect
                  thyroid function; and garlic is a risk factor for a type of anemia.

                  If the cat truly needs nutritional support, there is a good multisupplement
                  available called NuCat (www.vetriscience.com), also sold as Tabby Tabs by a
                  sister company (www.usanimalnutritionals.com). And there are quality human brand
                  supplements available for many individual nutrients. // Rosemary