Re: [FH] CoQ-10 and L-Carnitine dosages

  • Sue B
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 31, 2005
      Tanya,

      Good to hear that she's doing well.

      The normal dose for l-carnitine is 250mg per day. As for CoQ10, it varies
      but 30mg should be the minimum. My vet recommended that I give my girl
      Pepper 120mg daily. She's a fairly large cat and weighed 18 pounds when
      that recommendation was made (she's now down to 15 pounds).

      I've seen a definite improvement from both supplements. L-carnitine may
      work for dogs, but it also works for cats & people too!

      I've also seen improvements from DMG and omega-3, but start with the other
      two.

      Sue

      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 31, 2005
        Sue, I saw in your post to Tanya that your Pepper has lost weight. How did
        you do it? My Bud is 16 lbs and the vet says that is TOO MUCH - in fact, he
        is what she calls "pre-diabetic". My poor boy, the echo today showed his
        heart has not changed since July 2004 (good news) but the bad news was the
        high sugar. She says she has seen cats lose weight and stay on one of the
        prescription diets and get rid of the diabetes so I need to find a good way
        to help him lose a couple of pounds. Any suggestions will be appreciated.
        Gwen and the 3 cats in Phoenix
      • Deena
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 1, 2005
          --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "g minnier" <paragem@h...>
          wrote:
          My Bud is 16 lbs and the vet says that is TOO MUCH - in fact, he is
          what she calls "pre-diabetic".

          The easiest way I have found to lose weight in a cat is:
          1. Remove all carbs from diet. Cats need MEAT
          2. Feed small frequent meals
          This is the way cats are biologically designed to eat and it will
          also help his elevated sugar level.

          Wellness and Nature's Variety make canned cat food with no grains.
          Adding real meat is also helpful: either raw or lightly cooked.
          Kibble is THE biggest contributor to obesity and diabetes in my
          eyes. There are no carb free kibbles as it's physically impossible
          to form kibble without carbs to hold it together. So if you feed
          kibble, go lightly.

          Clara was a kibble addict when I adopted her and could have been
          described as a football with a tail. A meat-only diet had her
          trimmed down in no time. It was painless for both of us.
          This summer, I left her with my outlaws while on vacation. I
          returned to a *basketball* with a tail who literally doubled in size
          in 10 days. I left her food, but they chose to feed her kibble. A
          month later, she was once again a lean, mean, fighting machine, once
          I replaced her candy with a species appropriate diet.

          I have not seen prescription diets work for weight loss. Actually,
          I feel they perpetuate the problem. They are full of fiber and will
          add greatly to deposits in your litter box. You are much better off
          with a species appropriate diet, to reduce intake, and increase
          frequency of meals. This boosts metabolism, stabilizes blood sugar,
          and maximizes the immune system so Bud can better handle the other
          things that are going on.

          Good Luck,

          Deena
        • howdeeeyall@aol.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 2, 2006
            Fish oil should not taste bad. If it has a bitter taste, or a bad feel on
            the tongue, it's rancid and should not be used. Rancid oil will do damage
            instead of helping.

            Fish oil should always be in the frig! In fact, I won't buy it at a store
            if it's not refrigerated in the store. Whole Foods and places like that have
            a cooler for fish oil, flaxseed oil, etc.

            I taste the fish oil pretty often to make sure it's not getting rancid. Any
            yucky, sticky feeling on the tongue and it's in the trash.

            Judith

            In a message dated 6/2/2006 5:41:50 PM Eastern Standard Time,
            feline-heart@yahoogroups.com writes:

            The bottles are big and a bit difficult to use. I pour a bit into an empty
            baby food jar. It's easy to fill the syringe from that, plus you have a lid
            so it doesn't pick up smells in the fridge. (Keep it refrigerated - it
            lasts longer & doesn't taste quite as bad.)