Re: supplements

  • howdeeeyall@aol.com
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 30, 2005
      Why not put the Q10 in her food? I always do. It's virtually tasteless. I
      don't find the capsules large, either. I give 100 mg or 120 mg caps (for
      two cats).

      If you get the kind that's already dissolved in oil, you can pierce the cap
      and squeeze the contents onto food and mix it in. If you get the dry form,
      you can dissolve it in slightly warmed oil or butter (I sent directions for
      doing that a month ago or so) and mix that into the food. Dissolving it that
      way makes it easier to absorb, and from what I've read, makes it much more
      effective. That's why the oil-based Q10 is more expensive than the dry form.

      My cats never seem to notice it at all, except that they enjoy the butter.
      It only takes a tiny bit of butter/oil to dissolve the Q10. You want it
      slightly warmer than body temp, but not at all hot.

      Q10 is already expensive, and compounding might make it more so.

      Judith in NC

      i forgot to add in post:
      has anyone had cq10 compounded? i have a feeling the capsules are huge--and
      putting itin
      her food is not an option
      thanks
      andrea and elsa

    • andrea meyers
      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 30, 2005
        hi judith
        trust me-i would LOVE it if i could put the pill(s) in
        her food.
        the problem is that she is already VERY finicky when
        it comes to ANY wet food (i have tried and still try
        to sneak in the best quality food-into the few whe
        will eat-and sparingly at that...but-it doesnt work)
        she has only 3 -out of countless brands and types of
        food out there...and they are all fish.-and i really
        dont want to risk her snubbing those 3. she does eat
        high quality dry food (again-i wish this were not the
        case-i would rather she ate more wet and some dry-not
        the other way around) but-it is not her case.
        also-i need to watch out for anorexia-especially if
        this hcm causes more troubles with time. (for
        example-i know when some cats are anorexic-sometimes
        they can be enticed by a treat or fresh fish or
        similar foods. but not elsa. she really is extremely
        finicky-and i need to weigh that into the whole
        picture...and so-for her- i need to try other
        alternatives-first- to sneaking pills in food and/or
        treats.
        i now know the cq10 needs fat to affectively absorb
        into her system-so-i will do all i can to figure out
        the best way to deal with this...and talk with my
        vet.
        what you do for your cats is great. i wish -very
        much-that i could do the same for elsa.
        while none of this is set in stone--and at some point
        i may try this/or similar methods-right now i just
        need to consider other options
        i know compounding is VERY pricy-and i am in the
        process of looking for a pharmacy that will give me a
        better "deal" (i pay 50 to get the atenolol compounded
        into small capsules which i know is a leap from 14 for
        30 tablets that get quartered)
        i basically am upset that many pills are so large.
        ...or too small-in the case of atenolol-which-these
        labs know that the pill is often split 2-4 ways...
        anyway-it was good to read about how you prepare the
        cq10. i am new here-and have only gotten back a short
        ways in the posts so far...
        andrea and elsa

        --- howdeeeyall@... wrote:

        > Why not put the Q10 in her food? I always do. It's
        > virtually tasteless. I
        > don't find the capsules large, either. I give 100
        > mg or 120 mg caps (for
        > two cats).
        >
        > If you get the kind that's already dissolved in oil,
        > you can pierce the cap
        > and squeeze the contents onto food and mix it in.
        > If you get the dry form,
        > you can dissolve it in slightly warmed oil or butter
        > (I sent directions for
        > doing that a month ago or so) and mix that into the
        > food. Dissolving it that
        > way makes it easier to absorb, and from what I've
        > read, makes it much more
        > effective. That's why the oil-based Q10 is more
        > expensive than the dry form.
        >
        > My cats never seem to notice it at all, except that
        > they enjoy the butter.
        > It only takes a tiny bit of butter/oil to dissolve
        > the Q10. You want it
        > slightly warmer than body temp, but not at all hot.
        >
        > Q10 is already expensive, and compounding might make
        > it more so.
        >
        > Judith in NC

        __________________________________
        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Susan
        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 30, 2005
          Andrea,

          since she is on atenolol which is small and tasteless,
          why not try straight pilling. Rudy is 8 lbs and is on
          1/2 atenolol which I pill using the pill/treat
          technique. I realize you said you had a hard time
          cutting quarters. I noticed that the other brand of
          atenolol (I get Mylan brand from Walgreens, Target had
          the other brand) was more crumbly. See the photos
          section for a picture demo of how I pill on the back
          of a chair.

          Susan

          __________________________________
          http://farechase.yahoo.com
        • Aimee Collins
          Message 4 of 14 , Nov 25, 2005
            I go back to the vet next week with Gizmo. She had given me a 2 month prognoisis. I am wondering if I should start all these supplements. I just feel like I am giveing him so much medicine. He is eating again and i just dont want to mess it all up. I am almost scared to go to the vet. !0 days ago she put him on Spiro and he seems to be doing better. Eating alot again. She wanted to do another x ray to see how the fluid is doing. It is cold and winter here in chicago. I wonder if the cold effects them

          • Cannon,Kimberly
            Message 5 of 14 , Jul 19, 2006
              I have q-tip on
              1. Grizzly Oils
              2. Coenzyme 10
              3. L-lysine which has the l-cartine included in it.
              4. Cardio strength
              5.Nattokinese
              6. Tabby tabs liquid
              Does she need any other supplements for best health
            • Laura Leonard
              Message 6 of 14 , Jul 20, 2007
                When asking a supplement question earlier I put the wrong letters down.I was asking about COQ10 not hcq10. Sorry, these terms are all new to me.

              • Amy
                Message 7 of 14 , Nov 18, 2009
                  hi,
                  i have read about the supplements and the dosage. can i use the same that i use for myself
                  i.e. countrylife coq10 30mg. just break open cap and give?
                  thanks.

                  amy and smokey
                • Carol R.
                  Message 8 of 14 , Nov 18, 2009
                    hi Amy,

                    Yes, that's perfectly fine. I give Snowball 30mg once a day. I used to give my angel Sweetie 30mg twice a day.

                    Just mix it in with some wet food. The CoQ10 is a fat soluble enzyme, so giving it with some canned food, the fat in the food helps with assimilation and absorption. Start out with maybe half a capsule to see how he is with it. Then after a couple of days you can give him the whole thing. I always like to start with a little bit to see if they're going to throw it up or not. Snowball has a hard time with vomiting, so I have to be more careful with her. I used to use Jarrow CoQ10 and she always threw that up, but when I started using the Natural Factors one, it's in little softgels and I squeeze the liquid out into her food, she doesn't throw it up anymore. Just something about the Jarrow brand she didn't like.

                    Carol & Snowball & the gang

                    i have read about the supplements and the dosage. can i use the same that i use for myself i.e. countrylife coq10 30mg. just break open cap and give?
                    thanks.

                    amy and smokey

                  • Westgold

                      Message 10 of 14 , Nov 19, 2009
                        I think you will always get the response from doctors that supplements are unnecessary since they haven't been tested and recommended by the AMA or AVA, but I have seen a very good response in Max from CQ10 (I believe.) The main place that I see it is in the muscles in his rear haunches which were withering and which have returned, and in his general strength. I recently read that CQ10 is good for anyone with any kind of heart ailment including high cholesterol or hypertension and now my husband and I are taking it too. I think there's no definitive scinece here but observances for many people who are using it support it...

                        Judi and Max

                        To: carolroars@...; feline-heart@yahoogroups.com
                        From: westgold@...
                        Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2009 22:51:56 -0500

                        Message 11 of 14 , Nov 19, 2009
                          We started giving Snowball the CoQ10, DMG and taurine when she was diagnosed with her HCM and heart murmur two years ago. We haven't started any nattokinase for clots yet, because her HCM is in the very, very early stages and the cardiologist doesn't think she needs any blood thinners yet.

                          It won't hurt to give the CoQ10 to your other kitties who are on the atenolol. In fact, it can only help. It's been shown in studies that beta blockers, of which atenolol is one, deplete CoQ10 in the body, so supplementing with CoQ10 is advisable for anyone taking beta blockers. Here's more info from an article in Vitality Magazine last April about beta blockers and CoQ10.
                          http://tinyurl.com/y8ma63q

                          CoQ10 helps the cell mitochondria to better utilize energy, reducing the load on the heart. Here's some info on human studies done with CoQ10 and how many in the study improved with supplementation.
                          http://www.md-phc.com/nutrition/useful.html

                          Remember though, you cannot just stop CoQ10 cold turkey. If you're going to stop supplmenting CoQ10, you must do it slowly, because adverse effects have been seen after stopping CoQ10 suddenly. This is a paragraph from a member's post about stopping CoQ10.

                          One final note on CoQ10: A study was done on a small group of heart failure patients who had all been stabilized on their heart med's, and who had shown a positive response to long-term ( 3- 8 months) supplementation of CoQ10. Within 2 -3 weeks of stopping CoQ10, 5/9 patients experienced deterioration severe enough to require hospitalization and two patients died of, respectively, pulmonary embolism and myocardial infarction. Those who relapsed after COQ10 withdrawal, recovered after the supplementation was reinitiated. The researchers concluded that," withdrawal may be dangerous, especially in Class III-IV failure... that COQ10 is a lifetime therapy, and
                          probably lifesparing therapy, particularly for potential heart transplant candidates." [Mortensen, SA, et al.]

                          So, I would give CoQ10 to any of my heart kitties.

                          Carol and Snowball and the gang