Re: [FH] update on Baby

  • Sue B
    Message 1 of 16 , Oct 7, 2005
      Vickie,

      It sounds like you're getting it under control. Good that the cardio is
      following through.

      My girl gets a 20mg tablet of lasix 3 times daily. She's around 15 pounds.

      Plus you get to have fun with the vet himself!

      Sue

      Message 2 of 16 , Dec 19, 2005
        Well I can't sleep. It's 345 am. I called Baby is still on O2. They say his resp. rate is about 30, down from 80 when he was
        brought in.

        The cardio vet went to digital imaging. So I took the CD to the ER, they claim they can't look at it, cause they don't have
        digital. I would think that since it's a CD that they can still look at the image?

        I'm told he hasn't sleep since I brought him in at 6pm on Sun. The tech told me he keep crying he wants attn. But she can't
        give it to him cause the 02 will decrease if she opens the cage.

        Dr will come in and do rounds at about 9 am. They do not have a cardio vet. I don't know what to do. I don't know if this would
        have happened to Baby with or without the long drive to the cardio vet. But his breathing did start up by the time we got the cardio.
        The drive is just to much for him I think. I don't know if it's wroth going to the cardio vet if he is going to stress out. Maybe all I
        can do is trust one of my other vets who seems to be a bit more hip on cardio, then my other reg vet.

        This can cost me 1000, - 1400. All this money being spent, do to a car ride? Thank god they take care credit. I better find out
        what my cr. limit is. I just put 1200, on it the other week when he was hospitalized.

        The Cardio vet took Baby of Atenolo, and add back Sprio. 1/4. She said she was taking him of the Atenolo do to it my be decreasing
        his heart to do what it needs to do, to get rid of his fluid. She said it might be possible that Baby may need to be on about 3 different
        diuretics. Any in put on that?

        Thanks for the support

        Vickie
        In memory of Angel ONYX 12/27/02 and Smudge 5/01/04
        Beware of Feline Diabetes !!!

      • Sue at MAGDRL
        Message 3 of 16 , Dec 19, 2005
          Vickie,

          It's a really good sign that his respiration rate is back down to normal.

          As for the CD, they probably need a certain type of software to look at it.
          Can the cardiologist print out some images & fax them to the ER?

          They say that he hasn't slept but they're not watching him every minute.
          I'm sure he's taken a few quick naps along the way. This is the least of
          your worries.

          If he was breathing heavy by the time he got to the vet, he was probably
          already working up to that so it's good you took him in when you did.

          I don't know about all the diuretics. I didn't know there were that many
          that were given to cats. Is the ER working with your cardio vet on this?

          It sounds like he's definitely improving and all the stress is just from
          worry and separation. Try to stay calm so Baby doesn't pick up on your
          stress. Keep us posted.

          Sue

          > Well I can't sleep. It's 345 am. I called Baby is still on O2. They say
          his resp. rate is about 30, down from 80 when he was
          > brought in.
          >
          > The cardio vet went to digital imaging. So I took the CD to the ER, they
          claim they can't look at it, cause they don't have
          > digital. I would think that since it's a CD that they can still look at
          the image?

          > I'm told he hasn't sleep since I brought him in at 6pm on Sun. The tech
          told me he keep crying he wants attn. But she can't
          > give it to him cause the 02 will decrease if she opens the cage.
          >
          > Dr will come in and do rounds at about 9 am. They do not have a cardio
          vet. I don't know what to do. I don't know if this would
          > have happened to Baby with or without the long drive to the cardio vet.
          But his breathing did start up by the time we got the cardio.
          > The drive is just to much for him I think. I don't know if it's wroth
          going to the cardio vet if he is going to stress out. Maybe all I
          > can do is trust one of my other vets who seems to be a bit more hip on
          cardio, then my other reg vet.

          > This can cost me 1000, - 1400. All this money being spent, do to a car
          ride? Thank god they take care credit. I better find out
          > what my cr. limit is. I just put 1200, on it the other week when he was
          hospitalized.

          > The Cardio vet took Baby of Atenolo, and add back Sprio. 1/4. She said she
          was taking him of the Atenolo do to it my be decreasing
          > his heart to do what it needs to do, to get rid of his fluid. She said it
          might be possible that Baby may need to be on about 3 different
          > diuretics. Any in put on that?
          >
          > Thanks for the support
          >
          > Vickie
          > Beware of ISS/VAS cancer that kills cats! www.vas-awareness.org
          > Don't give shots in the SCRUFF. www.catshots.com
          > In memory of Angel ONYX 12/27/02 and Smudge 5/01/04
          > Beware of Feline Diabetes !!!

        • vickie
          Message 4 of 16 , Dec 21, 2005
            Well fingers crossed but his breathing look pretty good to me. It's much slower then it has been in a long time.
            Hopefully this time him in the ER might have helped. I hope his breathing stays this way, or slows down a bit
            more.

            I'm suppose to take him to my local vet to listen to his lungs. What do you guys think. I really don't want to put
            Baby though the stress of a car ride. If his breathing is still slow, you think it would be ok to skip? I really hate
            for him to get work up, and end up in the ER again at night. I just can't tell you the THOUSANDS I have spent
            in the last two months alone.

            They took Baby of Atenolol. Maybe that is allowing him to recover better as well.

            I really don't even want to have to take Baby to the Cardio vet anymore, it's not worth it to me if he has to end up in
            the ER everytime now.

            Thanks for all the input
            Vickie
            In memory of Angel ONYX 12/27/02 and Smudge 5/01/04
            Beware of Feline Diabetes !!!

          • protectanimals
            Message 5 of 16 , Dec 22, 2005
              Vickie,

              I'm "breathing" a sigh of relief for Baby right now. If I neglected to
              express my concern to you earlier, it is because I'm wrapped up in
              Monkey's new problems, for which I apologize.

              I'm no expert on the lung issues, cause Monkey hasn't had breathing
              problems, but I wondered if you might have a mobile vet in your area?
              Might be just the thing for a cat that gets that upset about having to
              go to the vet.

              Even if you don't want to change regular vets, for something as simple
              as listening to the lungs....you might just want to get someone else.

              If you don't want to switch vets but just want a mobile vet for
              supplementary things....well, there's some juggling involved about
              getting different opinions and I think it helps to have one vet be
              primary that you run everything thru....

              Ok, really gotta run to work.....please keep us posted. I really care
              about Baby even if I haven't written recently!

              Meredith with Monkey

              Message 6 of 16 , Dec 22, 2005
                Vickie,

                Why don't you call your local vet and talk to them about the situation.
                Explain that Baby gets extremely stressed and can they come to your house?
                How far is the vet? Would it help to arrange the appointment so you don't
                have to wait at all?

                I understand about the expenses. I'm up over 5 digits since Pepper got
                sick. But I think she's worth it.

                Sue

                > Well fingers crossed but his breathing look pretty good to me. It's much
                slower then it has been in a long time.
                > Hopefully this time him in the ER might have helped. I hope his breathing
                stays this way, or slows down a bit
                > more.
                >
                > I'm suppose to take him to my local vet to listen to his lungs. What do
                you guys think. I really don't want to put
                > Baby though the stress of a car ride. If his breathing is still slow, you
                think it would be ok to skip? I really hate
                > for him to get work up, and end up in the ER again at night. I just can't
                tell you the THOUSANDS I have spent
                > in the last two months alone.
                >
                > They took Baby of Atenolol. Maybe that is allowing him to recover better
                as well.

                > I really don't even want to have to take Baby to the Cardio vet anymore,
                it's not worth it to me if he has to end up in
                > the ER everytime now.
                >
                > Thanks for all the input
                > Vickie
                > Beware of ISS/VAS cancer that kills cats! www.vas-awareness.org
                > Don't give shots in the SCRUFF. www.catshots.com
                > In memory of Angel ONYX 12/27/02 and Smudge 5/01/04
                > Beware of Feline Diabetes !!!

              • Susan Burns
                Message 7 of 16 , Dec 22, 2005
                  hi vickie....i don't want to mislead you here, so am
                  hoping that others will chime in with their
                  views....my understanding from roger rag's *team* of
                  doctors (2 internists, 2 cardiologists) who saw him
                  over the 10 month period from diagnosis until his
                  death last month, is that listening with a stethescope
                  doesn't really give a true picture of what's going on
                  with fluid, be it around the heart (pericardial
                  effusion), in the chest cavity (pleural effusion) or
                  in the lungs themselves (pulmonary edema)....roger had
                  all three types at one point or another, and the
                  reason we had so many x-rays taken was because just
                  listening didn't do the trick for someone with severe
                  chf, and i learned very quickly what sounded/looked
                  right to me and got him to the vet
                  accordingly.....lasix is extremely effective for
                  pulmonary edema, less so for the other two, but
                  certainly necessary in all cases.....i was told over
                  and over to familiarize myself with his breathing
                  patterns, and if the pattern caused any kind of
                  concern to get in quickly for an x-ray so that the
                  lasix could be upped if need be, or a chest tap done
                  to physically drain fluid from chest cavity.....i also
                  had injectible lasix at home and found it very
                  reassuring to be able to give a quick sub-q dose if
                  necessary.....getting to know the *new* normal and
                  develop enough confidence to judge a very nuanced
                  condition will be helpful for both of you, and it will
                  certainly keep baby from those stressful car rides
                  that can, in and of their own, cause that fluid to
                  back up quickly due to stress.....take care, susan

                  > I'm suppose to take him to my local vet to listen to
                  > his lungs. What do you guys think. I really don't
                  > want to put
                  > Baby though the stress of a car ride. If his
                  > breathing is still slow, you think it would be ok to
                  > skip?

                  __________________________________
                • Vickie
                  Message 8 of 16 , Oct 14, 2006
                    Well it's been about 18 months now that Baby was Dx w/RCM/CHF

                    He had his 4th echo, w/the his new cardio vet Dr Zimmerman.and all is still
                    the same.
                    So he's been stable.

                    The good is I think it was one of his Values went from 19 to 15. So that
                    was a plus.
                    She wasn't to keep Baby on all the same meds.

                    I won't know about his blood work untill Monday. There doing a full work up
                    on
                    him, so they have to send it out. I told her notice he doing some of that
                    head
                    jerking, and caught him licking the back of my reclyner, and licking the
                    inside of
                    one of my cats ears. I know that not odd, but it is, these two don't like
                    each other?

                    He's not a happy camper right now, this wasn't a good trip. He cried there
                    and mostly
                    back, and wanted out of his cage bad when we were there. Sometimes he stress
                    so
                    bad, after the trip to the cardio we end up in the ER.

                    There was a lady that had a kitten about a month old. How cute, the lady
                    let me hold
                    the kitten, then they brought Baby out, I put the kitten back in the shoe
                    box it was sitting
                    in, and the kittens eye were just glued to Baby. The vet saw, she told Baby
                    you use to be
                    that small. I told the kitten that's how big she going to get.

                    O' the temptation of a little one. Sometimes I wonder if Baby would like a
                    little one or not, then
                    kittens are so playful, that even though it's a good thing, I can't let Baby
                    get worked up or over play.
                    Vickie
                    Message 9 of 16 , May 26, 2007
                      Well it's been since 4-12-05 that Baby was Dx w/HCM,CHF then to RCM/CHF

                      He had an echo today, and all is good. His heart wall went up a 1, but that
                      wasn't
                      much to worry about she feels. His highest were at one time 20 and 18. So
                      he
                      has gotten better in a small way.

                      His BUN/CEA number were down today too, and his BG # was good as well, and
                      he
                      hadn't had his insulin yet. I think the PZI is a better insulin for Baby.
                      So Baby will
                      stay on all the same meds. We are going to push for a 6mo f/up. This will
                      be the
                      first time to try that.

                      I asked her how many cats do they have that go past 12 mo like Baby, she
                      said he is
                      out of the norm, she said the cat before Baby was 2 1/2 yr, she said there
                      are only
                      few cases.

                      I asked if stress could make the heart wall measure different at, she said
                      she didn't
                      know of that but was a good question, and maybe something they could study
                      on.
                      The only why to do that would to put the pet under. Which I wouldn't want
                      to do.

                      I also asked if she thought Baby was really about 19, she said she didn't
                      know, she
                      tends to think he might be younger, compared to how other cats look at 19,
                      but it's
                      really hard to say. I've had him about 8 yr now.

                      So for those of you that are new and read this, I hope this gives you hope.
                      I know
                      CHF can make your head spin. All I can say is read and try to understand
                      everything.
                      Even other types of heart problems that other cats in this group has, but
                      your might,
                      not, could help you down the road, should your cats heart change, or a clot
                      etc..

                      Vickie
                      In memory of angel Onyx 12/27/02 and Smudge 5/01/04
                      Beware of Feline Diabetes !!!
                    • nala nala
                      Message 10 of 16 , May 26, 2007
                        All in all, wonderful news!
                        I am thrilled for you and Baby!
                        You're doing a great job with such a complicated case.

                        Hugs,

                        Nala

                        --- Vickie <VickieJunger@...> wrote:

                        > Well it's been since 4-12-05 that Baby was Dx
                        > w/HCM,CHF then to RCM/CHF
                        >
                        > He had an echo today, and all is good. His heart
                        > wall went up a 1, but that
                        > wasn't
                        > much to worry about she feels.

                        Need Mail bonding?
                      • Vickie
                        Message 11 of 16 , May 26, 2007
                          Thank you,

                          I tell you, if I only was given this info back when Baby was Dx, it would of
                          helped.
                          I mean, I understand the 6-12 mo that they give cats, but they could give
                          you hope
                          as well and let you know about cases like Baby's. I would say the first 1
                          1/2 yr
                          I always feared walking in after work and find Baby gone. To live that
                          everyday,
                          and you count down the month.

                          I feel vets should have some type of hand out info sheet, when owners are
                          told there
                          pets have CHF, CRF, Diabetes etc. It's very over whelming, and not
                          everyone has
                          internet access, or doesn't think to search that kinda help or info.

                          I tell you I feel I can relax a bit, but that is when things start to kick
                          up again. Baby is
                          just something else. He can be in a playful mood, and to think there were
                          times, that
                          I thought it was the end for him, and if I should let him go. That is why I
                          always tell
                          people, sometimes it has to get bad, before it can get better. So from this
                          don't make
                          a quick decision to let go to fast, and if a vet or more like a ER vet tells
                          you it's bad,
                          go by your gut, and take your cat to a cardio. I tell you the ER that I use
                          to use, always
                          gave me no hope, like Baby would die. I don't use them anymore, I found
                          another
                          ER and it's 24 hrs, which is better.

                          Vickie

                          Message 12 of 16 , May 27, 2007
                            Vickie & Baby,

                            AWESOME!

                            Leah and her cats and Angel Alec

                            Message 13 of 16 , May 27, 2007
                              Hi Vickie and Baby,

                              DOUBLE AWESOME!! :)

                              Purrs and Hugs,
                              Candace with Cinnamon and Skylar

                              Message 14 of 16 , Feb 25, 2008
                                First thank you for all your support and emails and links.

                                This is a tuff time, and i'm dealing w/allergies and asthma, this
                                really set me off.

                                It's hard to be online nowing were to start when I really don't
                                have any type of answer to know where to start.

                                So thank you all again.

                                As for Baby:

                                He's seem to be more like himself, his going around the house early
                                this morning w/his meowing and howling (ugh) but glade he's here to
                                do it still.

                                He sometime jump to where he likes to eat, but today, he's staying on
                                the floor.

                                He came and laid by my head and was neading in my hair and purring.

                                His BG this morning was high 409. I gave him 1/2 u and at 12pm he
                                was 252.. I hope his BG isn't going to be a roller costers. I hate
                                having to home test him, he hates the ear priks.

                                Also for some odd reason he wants his food in the livingroom. I'll
                                have to clean the eating area, not sure if he's smelling something or
                                not. He did crash into that area rt b4 his seizure.

                                thanks
                                vickie