OT - Tribute to Oscar, my feral cat

  • Sue B
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 5, 2005
      Tonight I picked up the ashes for Oscar. He was PTS on 9/27 when I took him in to the vet for a visit and they found he had Feline Leukemia.

      A lot of people wouldn't have given him a second look. He was a scrawny feral tabby cat that wandered through the neighborhood looking for scraps and to mark his territory.

      He first showed up her last December when I took an interest in my first feral cat, Blaze. Oscar was always a gentleman. He never touched her food or bothered her unless she gave him permission and never asked to sleep in her heated house.

      After Blaze was adopted, Oscar kept coming around. He eventually learned to trust me enough that I could pet him. He really learned to love human companionship and being petted.

      Over the summer, he started to get very thin and stopped grooming himself. I had wanted to take him to the vet for some time to get him neutered and basic vaccinations to improve his chances for survival outdoors. I took him in expecting to bring him home at the end of the day and after a short stay, to let him go back outside where he loved to be. It was a true shock to learn he had such a disease. Since it's highly contageous and always fatal, I couldn't bring him back home with the possibility of spreading the disease.

      He handled himself with dignity to the end. Even when he was in the crate going to the vet, he sat quietly and talked with me in a calm way.

      He didn't really have a home. I guess my backyard was his home. It was hard to say goodbye.

      Oscar, I miss you!

      Sue

    • Belinda Sauro
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 5, 2005
        Sue,
        I don't know who told you this but it is an out and out lie!!!!
        *Since it's highly contageous and always fatal, I couldn't bring him
        back home with the possibility of spreading the disease.*

        I currently have 6 cats, all live together, eat, sleep, groom, play and
        occasionally have minor squabbles. Bailey is my FeLV positive, he found
        me when he was 5 months old and tested positive then (at the time I had
        3 cats, all vaccinated for FeLV and negative), after finding out that my
        Joey also 5 months old at the time was sneaking under the door to play
        with Bailey who was in his own room I decided to let him out with the
        rest. I had already had much experience with FeLV and knew that it
        wasn't as contagious as way too many vets still in this day and age
        believe (because they have not kept up on continued education and
        bothered to learn the latest info out there about FeLV). When I had
        Bailey tested by 3 different vets each one told me to euthanize him
        because he would be dead in 3 months and infect my other cats,
        thankfully I knew better.

        Bailey turned 10 years old this May, I now have 6 cats all are
        vaccinated and healthy AND are tested every year and are still NEGATIVE
        (Bailey is still positive). So here is proof that it is NOT always
        fatal and not as contagious as so many vets will scare the h*ll out of
        you by telling you that.

        I'm very sorry Oscar paid the ultimate price. And I hope his life will
        stand for something and help even one person to understand that FeLV
        should not be an automatic death sentence as it unfortunelty is to so
        many cats still today because of ignorant, uneducated vets.

        And just as an additional FYI, most vets that find a cat that tests
        positive, even if the cat is healthy recommend euthaization. And if
        it's people decline to follow that advise and God forbid the cat at some
        point becomes ill, well then these vets will not bother to try and find
        out what is wrong with the cat, but ignorantly state "Well it's the FeLV
        kicking in and there is nothing we can do", the cat may simply have a
        URI that would easily be cleared up by antibiotics but the vet won't
        even bother to try and find out what is wrong ... I thank God everyday
        for my wonderful vet!!

        PS. I know of one FeLV positive who currently has cancer and guess what
        he is a 2 year survivor :) So I guess I'm trying to say your
        information is very inaccurate and if thisis your vet that gave you this
        inaccurate info, well if it were my vet, I wouldn't trust them to take
        care of my cats any longer.

        PSS. Sometimes emails are not the easiest way to try and get a thought
        across and I want you to know I'm not saying this to hurt you in any
        way, but I am trying to educate you so hopefully it doesn't happen
        again. I belong to a group that are all owned by FeLV positives, some
        mix their negs and positives some don't but all know more than many,
        many vets and that's just a shame.

        --
        Belinda
        Happiness is being owned by cats ...

        Be-Mi-Kitties ...
        http://www.bemikitties.com

        http://adopt.bemikitties.com

        FeLV Candle Light Service
        http://www.bemikitties.com/cls

        HostDesign4U.com (affordable hosting & web design)
        http://HostDesign4U.com

        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 5, 2005
          He did have a home and a family, Sue....with you. Bless you for caring for him and helping him leave with dignity. I have ferals that I care for in my backyard...and I consider them part of my family so I understand your feeling of loss.

          From: Sue B <rockii@...>
        • mfortner@att.net
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 5, 2005
            From: Belinda Sauro <macat@...>
            > Sue,
            > I don't know who told you this but it is an out and out lie!!!!
            > *Since it's highly contageous and always fatal, I couldn't bring him
            > back home with the possibility of spreading the disease.*

            Well, if this was FIV, I'd agree with you. Creamsicle is FIV+ and is integrated with my other cats. But FeLV IS contagious and anyone I've ever known who had a FeLV positive cat kept them segregated.

            --
            Marge, Sugar, Spice (HCM), Creamsicle, and Callie
            Bridge Kitties Felix and Oscar
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 5, 2005
              Sue --

              I agree with Marthe, he had a home with you. What a great thing you
              did for him -- you offered him food, companionship, and as much of a
              safe harbor as he wanted. You also spared him the fate of so many
              feral cats -- he didn't die in pain, he wasn't preyed on by other
              animals as he lay dying, and because of you, he died in peace. How
              many people would do what you did for him? Many people find it easy
              to love a beautiful fluffy persian but it takes someone with a big
              heart and true love for cats in her soul to love and mourn for a tough
              little alley-cat feral. Bless you for it!

              Lisa