How many tests for heart kitty Cuds?

  • Sandra Trower
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 4, 2005
      My 16-year-old cat was diagnosed with hypertension one
      year ago, and was "treated" with large doses of
      Norvasc and repeatedly tested by more than one vet,
      who said his pressure was 180.

      After a referral to a cardiologist, he was diagnosed
      with HCM, and had three echocardiagrams within two
      weeks- once by a non cardiologist, once by a
      Cardiologist, and one recheck, who found his blood
      pressure to be normal. He prescribed Atenolol.

      I was concerned about heavy water consumption, so the
      cardiologist referred him to an Internist in the same
      practice (an emergency clinic). The internist did
      bloodwork, which she said was negative for diabetes,
      tyroid, kidney, etc. SHE RECOMMENDED THAT I SEE HOW HE
      DOES ON THE ATENOLOL, AND RETURN FOR A CHEST X-RAY AND
      SONOGRAM TO TEST FOR POSSIBLE EARLY KIDNEY DISEASE AND
      CHF. She said I would have to leave him for several
      hours, and that he would have to be anesthetized for
      the tests.

      My question to you experienced members is this: Since
      Cuds is doing well, would you put him through more
      stressful, expensive testing? I plan to return to the
      Cardiologist for a recheck next month, which will most
      likely result in another echocardiogram. I have also
      started weaning him off of dry Wellness, focusing on
      canned. Maybe this will help with the heavy water
      consumption.

      I should probably mention that he had a brief episode
      of Hepatic Lipidosis last year, and recovered after
      weeks of assisted feeding and sub fluids. (he had
      stopped eating when I went out of town for 5 days.)

      Cuds is very sensitive, and doesn't do well with
      strangers.

      I would appreciate any feedback, I know many of you
      have had the same decisions to make. Thank you. Sandra
    • Belinda Sauro
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 5, 2005
        Hi Sandra,
        Cuds definately may drink more if eating mainly dry food. My two
        who will not give up their dry drink more than the rest that eat raw.
        Unless it is causing any visible symptoms I would opt to wait and see
        what happens when he off the dry and taking the atenolol. Also find out
        if they did the T3 and T4 for thyroid, some vets don't and will not get
        a true result.

        --
        Belinda
        Happiness is being owned by cats ...

        Be-Mi-Kitties ...
        http://www.bemikitties.com

        http://adopt.bemikitties.com

        FeLV Candle Light Service
        http://www.bemikitties.com/cls

        HostDesign4U.com (affordable hosting & web design)
        http://HostDesign4U.com

        -----------

        BMK Designs (non-profit web sites)
        http://bmk.bemikitties.com
      • Sue B
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 5, 2005
          Sandra,

          I agree that the high water consumption could be due to eating dry food.
          Some cats just like water. My girl Pepper always drinks a lot and there's
          nothing wrong with her kidneys and she's not diabetic.

          My concern is that cats with heart disease shouldn't undergo anesthesia
          unless you absolutely have to do it. It's very hard on their hearts.

          When Pepper goes for her sonogram, they just hold her quietly on a
          specially-made table. It's padded to hold them comfortably on their backs.
          They don't even shave her. I know that state laws prohibit you from being
          near the x-ray machine but maybe you could be there for the sonogram and
          help keep Cuds calm. My cardiologist let me sit in on it. The sonogram
          will show any progress in the heart disease.

          You need an x-ray to check for CHF, but why can't they do blood work to
          check for kidney disease? Maybe they're doing something I'm unfamiliar with
          or maybe they're going to do a sonogram on his kidneys? Why do they think
          he has kidney disease?

          I agree that you should question why they feel he needs all these additional
          tests if you feel he's doing well. What signs do they see that you don't?
          When my vet has changed Pepper's meds, they typically ask that she come back
          in 2-3 weeks for blood tests. If they think she's doing well, they recommend
          waiting 6 months for a recheck with a sonogram.

          Stress management is an important factor in treatment of heart disease. You
          don't want to stress out a cat that's afraid. If you do take him in, I
          would push hard to avoid anesthesia.

          Sue

          > My 16-year-old cat was diagnosed with hypertension one
          > year ago, and was "treated" with large doses of
          > Norvasc and repeatedly tested by more than one vet,
          > who said his pressure was 180.
          >
          > After a referral to a cardiologist, he was diagnosed
          > with HCM, and had three echocardiagrams within two
          > weeks- once by a non cardiologist, once by a
          > Cardiologist, and one recheck, who found his blood
          > pressure to be normal. He prescribed Atenolol.
          >
          > I was concerned about heavy water consumption, so the
          > cardiologist referred him to an Internist in the same
          > practice (an emergency clinic). The internist did
          > bloodwork, which she said was negative for diabetes,
          > tyroid, kidney, etc. SHE RECOMMENDED THAT I SEE HOW HE
          > DOES ON THE ATENOLOL, AND RETURN FOR A CHEST X-RAY AND
          > SONOGRAM TO TEST FOR POSSIBLE EARLY KIDNEY DISEASE AND
          > CHF. She said I would have to leave him for several
          > hours, and that he would have to be anesthetized for
          > the tests.
          >
          > My question to you experienced members is this: Since
          > Cuds is doing well, would you put him through more
          > stressful, expensive testing? I plan to return to the
          > Cardiologist for a recheck next month, which will most
          > likely result in another echocardiogram. I have also
          > started weaning him off of dry Wellness, focusing on
          > canned. Maybe this will help with the heavy water
          > consumption.
          >
          > I should probably mention that he had a brief episode
          > of Hepatic Lipidosis last year, and recovered after
          > weeks of assisted feeding and sub fluids. (he had
          > stopped eating when I went out of town for 5 days.)
          >
          > Cuds is very sensitive, and doesn't do well with
          > strangers.
          >
          > I would appreciate any feedback, I know many of you
          > have had the same decisions to make. Thank you. Sandra

        • jen
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 5, 2005
            Sandra,

            I agree with Sue. I would ask the vets what tests they will be doing
            and what they are looking for or expecting to find. If they diagnose
            what they are checking for, is there any treatment possible? Or is
            it more along the lines of nice to know stuff.

            It does seem like a lot of investigation for a heart kitty who is
            doing really well. In the end, you will make the right decision for
            you and Cuds.

            Good luck and keep us updated,

            jen, deagan, ceita and angel kira the dog