Re: CoQ10 10

  • howdeeeyall@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 30, 2005
      Message: 6
      Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2005 21:26:48 -0400
      From: Lisa Clarizia <lclarizia@...>
      Subject: Re: CoQ10

      Well, I'm going to have to check out BJ's then! I swear by this stuff but
      it's so expensive ...

      ***************************************

      I know this may seem a bit extreme to some folks, but you can use less CoQ10
      if you use the dry form and dissolve it in oil or butter. Whole Dog Journal
      had a short article about this a while ago. There was a study done on
      dosage in humans. The aim of the study was to take the powdered CoQ10, which is
      cheaper than the oil-based stuff, and develop an easy way to dissolve it in
      oil at home. When it's dissolved, it's about twice as potent--I assume it's
      absorbed by the body more easily, and that half the powdered stuff is wasted by
      the body, even if it's given with food.

      What the study did was to use hot tea--they served hot tea with a little
      butter or oil in it, let it cool to just above body temperature, added the
      CoQ10, stirred it until it dissolved in the oil.

      What I do is take the bowl I'm going to use to mix the cat food in (either
      raw food or canned), put it in the toaster oven on the lowest setting for a few
      minutes, take it out and melt a half teaspoon of butter in it, let it cool
      to just above body temp, and empty the capsule of CoQ10 in the butter, mix it
      till it's dissolved. You don't want it to be too hot--just nicely warm to
      the touch. Then I add the food and other supplements.

      You can use about half the dosage if it's dissolved in oil, compared to the
      dry form.

      Judith and Leo

    • Lisa Clarizia
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 30, 2005
        Judith -- I think you just helped me to figure out a better way to dissolve
        reagent-grade q10 (aka ubiquinone) so I can use it as a quantitative
        standard in HPLC! I will thank you in the acknowledgement section of my
        thesis :)

        Lisa

        --
        Lisa Clarizia
        lclarizia@...

      • g minnier
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 30, 2005
          Would it work as well to dissolve it in fish or salmon oil?
          Gwen