diltazem mixed in food

  • rdcarmichael_99
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 29, 2005
      Hi All,
      We have been pilling our HCM cat for about a year and a half with no
      problems. The other day, we realized we never tried to mix it
      (crushed completely) into his wet food. We tried it - and he ate it
      with no problem! I was surprised because I had been told that it is a
      very bitter pill. I was wondering if anyone else crushes up diltiazem
      this way - or if anyone can think of any reason not to do it that way.
      Any thoughts would be appreciated.
      Thanks,
      Ryanne
    • lovesmainecoons
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 29, 2005
        There are so many forms of Diltiazem and I don't know what kind you
        use, but the one I use for one of mine is timed released and is not
        supposed to be crushed. I wish I could do it. I used to give him his
        pill in a little ball of food, but he got wise and eats around it. So
        now, I have to open his mouth and put it down his throat! Never easy.
        Glad it is working for you.
        Linda

        --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "rdcarmichael_99"
        <rdcarmichael_99@y...> wrote:
        > Hi All,
        > We have been pilling our HCM cat for about a year and a half with no
        > problems. The other day, we realized we never tried to mix it
        > (crushed completely) into his wet food. We tried it - and he ate it
        > with no problem! I was surprised because I had been told that it is a
        > very bitter pill. I was wondering if anyone else crushes up diltiazem
        > this way - or if anyone can think of any reason not to do it that
        way.
        > Any thoughts would be appreciated.
        > Thanks,
        > Ryanne
      • Amy K. Farrell
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 30, 2005
          Linda and Ryanne,

          My understanding also is that you shouldn't crush the timed-release
          diltiazem tablets, but it is okay to crush the ones that are not
          timed-release. (If you're only pilling once a day, you probably have timed-release.)

          However, my Betti takes a form of timed-release diltiazem that comes
          in a capsule. The medication looks like little white spheres, kind of
          like the decorative sprinkles they put on cakes. The pharmacist told
          me I could sprinkle it on her food, and after about three tries at
          pilling her the old-fashioned way I decided that was the way to go. In
          the morning, before I give Betti her breakfast, I put a small bit of
          "treat" food on her plate, empty the capsule onto it, and fold the
          food over it (so the stuff stays stuck). My goal is to give her one
          bite of medicated food, so she does eat it all.

          I'm not sure, but I think this must be the same thing that's sold as
          Tiazac for humans.

          I get this from a compounding pharmacy, and I suspect there's no other
          option on that. The pharmacy wants a few days warning on refills
          (although they usually have them for me the next day), so it's pretty
          clear that someone at the pharmacy is carefully measuring out Betti's
          dose and putting it in capsules. This is probably more expensive than
          getting tablets (I haven't priced tablets), but it comes to about a
          dollar a day, which is really not bad.

          - Amy

          --
          A.K. Farrell
        • Lisa Clarizia
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 30, 2005
            Rosemary makes a valid point about why not to add meds to food, and Amy's
            right about being careful what you crush.

            As for adding stuff to food ... some cats are just easier to pill than
            others. If the cat will take it in food, and you're reasonably certain the
            cat it's intended for will clean his dish, I say go for it although you
            should always check with a vet/pharmacist to make sure there's no loss of
            efficacy in giving it this way.

            I crush all Baby Boy's meds (having checked with his pharmacist), suspend
            them in his supplement mix (also cleared with pharmacist) and syringe it in.
            It is the least stressful and most reliable way of getting meds into that
            particular cat. His brother, Thundercat, on the other hand is a dream to
            pill. I can literally walk up to him, open his mouth, put a pill on his
            tongue and he'll swallow it with no fuss.

            Lisa

            On 9/30/05, Amy K. Farrell <akf@...> wrote:

            > Linda and Ryanne,
            >
            > My understanding also is that you shouldn't crush the timed-release
            > diltiazem tablets, but it is okay to crush the ones that are not
            > timed-release. (If you're only pilling once a day, you probably have
            > timed-release.)
            >
            > However, my Betti takes a form of timed-release diltiazem that comes
            > in a capsule. The medication looks like little white spheres, kind of
            > like the decorative sprinkles they put on cakes. The pharmacist told
            > me I could sprinkle it on her food, and after about three tries at
            > pilling her the old-fashioned way I decided that was the way to go. In
            > the morning, before I give Betti her breakfast, I put a small bit of
            > "treat" food on her plate, empty the capsule onto it, and fold the
            > food over it (so the stuff stays stuck). My goal is to give her one
            > bite of medicated food, so she does eat it all.
            >
            > I'm not sure, but I think this must be the same thing that's sold as
            > Tiazac for humans.
            >
            > I get this from a compounding pharmacy, and I suspect there's no other
            > option on that. The pharmacy wants a few days warning on refills
            > (although they usually have them for me the next day), so it's pretty
            > clear that someone at the pharmacy is carefully measuring out Betti's
            > dose and putting it in capsules. This is probably more expensive than
            > getting tablets (I haven't priced tablets), but it comes to about a
            > dollar a day, which is really not bad.
            >
            > - Amy
            >

            > On Fri, Sep 30, 2005 at 04:19:09AM -0000, lovesmainecoons wrote:
            > > There are so many forms of Diltiazem and I don't know what kind you
            > > use, but the one I use for one of mine is timed released and is not
            > > supposed to be crushed. I wish I could do it. I used to give him his
            > > pill in a little ball of food, but he got wise and eats around it. So
            > > now, I have to open his mouth and put it down his throat! Never easy.
            > > Glad it is working for you.
            > > Linda
            > >
            > > --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "rdcarmichael_99"
            > > <rdcarmichael_99@y...> wrote:
            > > > Hi All,
            > > > We have been pilling our HCM cat for about a year and a half with no
            > > > problems. The other day, we realized we never tried to mix it
            > > > (crushed completely) into his wet food. We tried it - and he ate it
            > > > with no problem! I was surprised because I had been told that it is a
            > > > very bitter pill. I was wondering if anyone else crushes up diltiazem
            > > > this way - or if anyone can think of any reason not to do it that
            > > way.
            > > > Any thoughts would be appreciated.
            > > > Thanks,
            > > > Ryanne
            > >

            > > Your reply will go to the author of this message. If you feel your reply
            > feline-heart@yahoogroups.com
            > > Yahoo! Groups Links
            > >

            > --
            > A.K. Farrell

            > feline-heart@yahoogroups.com

            Lisa Clarizia
            lclarizia@...

          • Sue B
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 1, 2005
              Sometimes mixing meds in their food seems to be the way to go. I've been
              doing it with Pepper since she was diagnosed almost a year ago. It's only
              once in a great while that she gives me a hard time about eating, but I
              think it's her pickiness with food rather than the lasix. I simply mix a
              treat or two into her food and she eats it right down.

              She gets her other meds via syringe and I wanted to keep it to a minimum.

              Sue