Katrina and homeless pets

  • marthe horn-Davis
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 4, 2005
      Hi,

      From Canada, I have read the paper today and heard how
      many people had to leave their pets behind in the
      midst of the chaos in New Orleans.

      I did want to comment however, again, on the valiant
      efforts of volunteers, animal lovers, and selfless
      people who have taken it upon themselves to organize
      temporary homes and relief to the animals that have
      equally been affected.

      We all do our part, be it so small and if its not in
      form of donations, even communication and sending
      information is all helpful. All of these small
      components will help with the larger picture. I am
      guessing that other humane societies and animal groups
      besides those mentioned are banding together to help
      out in this common cause. I have faith in people that
      belong to reputable animal help groups and their
      strength and dedication. I know this from personal
      experience when I adopted my kitten, and the care and
      follow up done by volunteers who had just completed
      their 9-5 jobs to make phone calls, provide foster
      homes, and help with rescue operations on a daily
      basis is incredible.

      The members of this group, (FH) have done a great deal
      in passing the message and creating awareness as it
      deserves mention. Before any situation can be
      remedied, there needs to be awareness and
      communication.

      I hope none of us or our animals ever experience
      anything like New Orleans and trust if it happens,
      there will be selfless people who will help out.
      Driving my car home today I was thinking what it would
      be like to abondon my cats (or any pet) because rescue
      efforts did not include them....To think that people
      were actually volunteering to help rescue animals,
      made me feel emotional...to think and know that there
      are those determined and selfless individuals that do
      this....is heart-warming.

      This group in itself helps its members daily, in the
      way of sharing experiences, information, and
      compassion for each other and each other's cats, when
      other people might not even want to hear about it.

      I am thankful for this group, its members and all the
      people who care for animals....it makes this world a
      better place.

      Thank you...for the information on health care,
      medications, food and general well-being for
      heart-kitties and cats in general...everyone has
      helped me one way or another, from pilling an
      uncooperative cat to dealing with emergencies and
      conditions.

      Hugs to all your kitties
      Marthe, Gina and Lenny

      Marthe, Gina and Lenny