ot: PETS/Hurricane Katrina/Those concerned Pls Read

  • turkishangoraathumanesociety
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 3, 2005
      *disclaimer:This is ONLY a plea to please at least look at their site
      and makeup your own mind...Just want to make others like myself who
      may be concerned but not know what can really help, aware that this
      place exists...If you are not concerned, that is fine...I made the
      subject line so the email can be deleted as to not bother anyone who
      wishes not to be bothered about such things....*

      Please everyone...this org is REALLY helping the abandoned
      pets...down there NOW, and doesn't have CEO's with crazy salaries
      heading it... It's a grass roots org that has been helping animals
      SPECIFICALLY in disasters. ALL donations are TAX DEDUCTIBLE and can
      be made via paypal / credit cards as well by scrolling down to the
      credit card button.

      This whole thing has been bugging me and I was hesitant to donate
      anywhere, wondering, like many people if it would go to where I would
      want to help. After much research THIS is that place. I hope anyone
      feeling the same as myself will do the same.

      These animals have SO little help...They are being cast aside...
      It's upsetting to see the animals left in cages outside with debris
      all around them and on top of the cages...Not to mention the MANY
      animals people LEFT in their now flooded homes. I think about all
      the animals thrown out on the street downtown because they were not
      let on buses or in shelters, and think about all of the toxic waste
      in the water that they don't know better not to drink...I feel like
      the world is coming together for the people (even the ones who DON't
      appreciate it) but VERY few are looking out for the animals...I feel
      like this is the one place that can make a difference for these poor
      helpless creatures...

      http://www.noahswish.org/Donations.htm <--Noah's Wish donations (or
      at least read about what they are doing here and maybe let as many
      others know about it as you can)
      Thanks much
    • howdeeeyall@aol.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 3, 2005
        On a recent NPR talk show, the interviewer (a very interesting and
        thoughtful elderly woman) spoke with someone from the Red Cross who was helping
        organize the New Orleans rescue operations. She asked him about one woman whose
        husband had called in, desperate to get in touch with his wife. The woman was
        in N.O. and the husband was away from home. The woman was blind and had a
        seeing eye dog, and she could not leave home and go to a shelter, because her
        dog was not allowed in. The husband had not heard from her since the storm.

        I always thought that service dogs were allowed in shelters, and I expected
        the ARC guy to say so. Nope. He just said that this kind of situation was
        very rare and affects very few people. GRRR. Then after further questioning,
        he said that if he could have the contact information for the husband and
        wife, he'd try to see if they could help her. Lame!!!

        So along with donating to the ARC, I'm donating to Noah's Wish, to balance
        things out.

        Judith (and Leo)

        Right, and to everyone who might think humans take priority in these
        situations -- don't forget, unattended animals are a potential human health
        hazard. Neglected/dead/dying animals contribute to the massive pollution of
        the water supply, serve as hosts/carriers for insect-born disease, among
        other things.

        Lisa