[FH] Re: coughing

  • cayvb
    Message 1 of 17 , Sep 2, 2005
      --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, Anyes <anyes@i...> wrote:
      > Coughing can most definitely be a sign of chf.

      I had to bring McGovern to the emergency room this morning. His
      respiratory rate more then doubled and I panicked. The vet there said
      now it seems like a cardiovascular symptom. So I've been suppressing
      his cough with Prednisone and but that's all. He is still in some kind
      of a crisis.
      I brought him in around 6;00am and I had to leave him there until the
      Cardio vet comes in. He'll have an echo done today. He was due for one
      on Tuesday, but the same cardiologist is at the emergency clinic so
      it'll get done today instead. At least he is there in case he gets
      even worse. Cathy
    • Sue B
      Message 2 of 17 , Sep 2, 2005
        Cathy,

        I don't remember if you cat is one whose coughing is a symptom of asthma or
        CHF. Regardless, it sounds like he's in CHF which requires minimally extra
        diuretics, but often oxygen and vet care including IV diuretics.

        It's sometimes a danger to suppress symptoms because it disguises the real
        issue. The Prednesone could have been hiding the fact that he was getting
        worse.

        But I'm glad to hear that he's in good hands now. I'll keep McGovern in my
        prayers. Please let us know how he does!

        Sue

        > > Coughing can most definitely be a sign of chf.
        >
        > I had to bring McGovern to the emergency room this morning. His
        > respiratory rate more then doubled and I panicked. The vet there said
        > now it seems like a cardiovascular symptom. So I've been suppressing
        > his cough with Prednisone and but that's all. He is still in some kind
        > of a crisis.
        > I brought him in around 6;00am and I had to leave him there until the
        > Cardio vet comes in. He'll have an echo done today. He was due for one
        > on Tuesday, but the same cardiologist is at the emergency clinic so
        > it'll get done today instead. At least he is there in case he gets
        > even worse. Cathy
      • cayvb
        Message 3 of 17 , Sep 2, 2005
          Gov is home now and he is to discontinue the Prednisone but continue
          with Flovent. Emergency vet seems to think the Pred made him so
          uncomfortable as to create the rapid respiration which fluctuated
          between 48-70 reps per minute. And he really looked bad. He has had
          only the Flovent today, nothing else, and he is so much better now.
          But I am to watch him closely for the next 2 days and return him to
          the emergency vet immediately if I notice any further respiratory
          problems. Im so glad I brought him in when I did. I'm such a worrywart
          with him being an HCM boy. His echo looked good for his condition,
          I'll get more info next week when he goes for his yearly.
          Thanks, Cathy
        • Sue B
          Message 4 of 17 , Sep 2, 2005
            Cathy,

            Great News!!! It's always scary with our heart-kitties when things aren't
            right.

            Sue

            > Gov is home now and he is to discontinue the Prednisone but continue
            > with Flovent. Emergency vet seems to think the Pred made him so
            > uncomfortable as to create the rapid respiration which fluctuated
            > between 48-70 reps per minute. And he really looked bad. He has had
            > only the Flovent today, nothing else, and he is so much better now.
            > But I am to watch him closely for the next 2 days and return him to
            > the emergency vet immediately if I notice any further respiratory
            > problems. Im so glad I brought him in when I did. I'm such a worrywart
            > with him being an HCM boy. His echo looked good for his condition,
            > I'll get more info next week when he goes for his yearly.
            > Thanks, Cathy

          • Lisa Clarizia
            Message 5 of 17 , Sep 2, 2005
              Hi Cathy,

              I agree with Sue re masking symptoms and that it sounds like McGovern is
              having a CHF issue. It doesn't sound like asthma at all.

              I also would be concerned about using steroids in heart kitty. Cats can and
              do cough from heart conditions, it's a complete myth that they don't
              although it is more common in dogs and humans. My cat coughs in response to
              excess fluid, and also because his heart is so enlarged that lying in the
              right position, it actually pushes on his larynx and makes him cough.

              I hope McGovern is feeling better now!

              Lisa

              --
              Lisa Clarizia
              lclarizia@...

            • Betty Seni
              Message 6 of 17 , Nov 3, 2006
                Did someone say that coughing is not necessarily related to heart troubles with cats? (I think someone said that with dogs, coughing is related to the heart, but not so with cats...?) My Max has been coughing alot lately (which upsets his stomach and makes him throw up) Could this be fluid related...or maybe something else, like allergies or hairballs?

              • nala nala
                Message 7 of 17 , Nov 3, 2006
                  Betty,

                  Coughing can indicate heart trouble or other problems,
                  as other folks have already mentioned. It is just
                  that kitties with heart trouble often don't cough.
                  Dogs with heart trouble are more likely to cough than
                  cats with heart trouble. I hope this clears things
                  up. . .

                  One of my kitties coughs when she has a hairball.
                  She stretches out her neck and coughs and coughs and
                  then swallows very hard. She rarely manages to bring
                  the hairball up - but in a day or two i usually find a
                  stool full of hair after one of these episodes. That
                  said, I would certainly get Max checked out ASAP. It
                  sounds as though his coughing is quite forceful if he
                  is wretching. I would look to make sure that you
                  don't see anything stuck in his throat and get him in
                  to the vet.

                  -Nala, Camille and Cozette

                  --- Betty Seni <bmusical@...> wrote:

                  > Did someone say that coughing is not necessarily
                  > related to heart troubles with cats? (I think
                  > someone said that with dogs, coughing is related to
                  > the heart, but not so with cats...?) My Max has
                  > been coughing alot lately (which upsets his stomach
                  > and makes him throw up) Could this be fluid
                  > related...or maybe something else, like allergies or
                  > hairballs?

                  > removed]

                  (http://www.yahoo.com/preview)
                • betty_boop_ct
                  Message 8 of 17 , Nov 5, 2006
                    My dear Smokey was first diagnosed with heart disease after I took him
                    to the vet because he sounded like he was trying to hack-up a hairball
                    for about 6 days. His coughing was a result of enviromental asthma
                    which was diagnosed via transtracheal aspiration. This procedure
                    involved the vet getting a sample of his mucous/sputum from his lungs
                    and then this was analyzed by a lab. I opted for this procedure
                    because there was a definitive way to tell if his asthma was viral,
                    bacterial or environmental and given his newly diagnosed heart
                    condition, I wasn't comfortable with trial and error of using
                    medications. His heart disease was not related to his coughing.

                    You may want to do an enviromental check of your home and determine if
                    any type of cleaning products, smoking, air freshers, and such can be
                    a factor. I even went as far as changing the type of cleaning litter
                    to a more natural type (Sweat Scoop).

                    He was also tested for heartworm which was negative and coughing can
                    be a symptom of this too.

                    Please talk with your vet further if you are concerned.

                    Lisa--and my dear heart kitty Smokey and his supportive brother Caz

                    --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "Betty Seni" <bmusical@...> wrote:

                    > Did someone say that coughing is not necessarily related to heart
                    troubles with cats? (I think someone said that with dogs, coughing is
                    related to the heart, but not so with cats...?) My Max has been
                    coughing alot lately (which upsets his stomach and makes him throw up)
                    Could this be fluid related...or maybe something else, like allergies
                    or hairballs?

                  • willow22596
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jul 16, 2014

                      Hi,

                      Can someone tell me the difference between a cat coughing and hairball yacking?

                      I tried googling it, can not find a thing. Thanks

                    • jenisup2
                      Message 10 of 17 , Jul 16, 2014
                        Personally I've noticed that the cough is more concentrated to the front of the body & the head tends to move side to side. The hairball hack sounds more like a gag and the head stays straight hope this helps

                        Sent from my iPhone
                      • Leigh Arrathoon
                        Message 11 of 17 , Jul 16, 2014
                          You know they're throwing up when they cough up a hairball. You can hear the sound of trying to bring something up. I do have two with asthmatic conditions (I live in Michigan, so so do I!) and that's a loud, hollow, unproductive cough. I can usually put an end to that kind of coughing by massaging the bronchial tubes. The same when they swallow the wrong way. I massage the throat and upper chest until the air way is clear.
                          Leigh