Re: [FH] Check-Ups/Fleas ??

  • savionna@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 2, 2005
      Hi Bridget,

      In a message dated 9/1/05 11:11:44 PM, Bab006@... writes:

      << Also I am so worried about putting Frontline on my cat. >>

      Many caregivers are concerned about using topical synthetic pesticides on
      their animals.

      << My vet says it is ok. >>

      Vets may think various products are "ok" that turn out not to be.

      << Does anyone else use flea
      protection? >>

      Yes. Our flea "protection" is based on the fact that fleas feed briefly on
      the cat but *live* in the environment. So we treat the environment, not the cat.
      For indoors, there are nontoxic, borate-based products such as
      www.fleabusters and relatively nontoxic insect-growth regulators such as methoprene
      (straight concentrate, with no adulticide). For outdoors, there are beneficial
      nematodes that prey on flea larvae available from various suppliers (Steinernema
      carpocapsae is the species that acts on fleas). // Rosemary
    • Sue B
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 2, 2005
        Bridget,

        When my girl was not stable, she was going in every month. Whenever they
        adjusted her medication, they would tell me to bring her back in within 2-4
        weeks for a blood test. But once she was stable, her cardiologist told me
        that I could wait 6 months before bringing her back for a recheck.

        I know that they don't take her blood pressure every time.

        If Bobby is stable, ask you vet why he needs to come in? I can't
        second-guess your vet but I would definitely question it.

        Someone posted that it was safe to use Frontline. Personally, I would not
        expose any animal to chemicals that are not absolutely necessary. If I had
        your situation and there were basically no fleas, I would not use it.

        Sue

        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 2, 2005
          My vet said that Revolution is better for cats and only if necessary for
          heart condition cats. I have never used either so I don't know what if any
          is the difference between Frontline and Revolution.
          Shannon
          Daisy: Maine Coon mix, 4 years old, diagnosed at age 1-1/2, asymptomatic
          HCM, 6.25 mg atenolol daily
          > My vet wants my cat to come in for a check up every month. Does anyone
          > else
          > go that often? She charges me about $65 to take his blood pressure and
          > say
          > keep up the good work. This month has been very hard financially due to
          > Bobby's death and the price of gas (I drive over 100 miles a day for my
          > job). So
          > I am wondering about how important this monthly vet visits are? I don't
          > want to short change my cat for anything, but my vet does not do anything
          > on
          > theses appt. How important do you think these check ups are? He is
          > acting
          > perfectly normal. Also I am so worried about putting Frontline on my
          > cat. My
          > vet says it is ok. I have not had a flea problem all summer until now.
          > found 2 fleas on one of my dogs and 1 on one of my cats. I don't see any
          > on my
          > Sim yet but I don't want flea on any of my pets. Does anyone else use
          > flea
          > protection?
          >
          > Bridget Bailey (bab0066vpy)
          > Visit my Ebay Store for Vintage and Unique Items
          > _eBay Store - 0-BridgetsVintageUniqueFinds-0: On Sale, Free Shipping,
          > Puzzles_ (http://stores.ebay.com/0-BridgetsVintageUniqueFinds-0)

          > feline-heart@yahoogroups.com
          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Sue B
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 2, 2005
            I used Revolution on Pepper once a few years back (before she was
            diagnosed). She had classic signs of poisoning with the drooling &
            lethargy. I tossed the rest.

            She never seemed in danger that I needed to take her to the vet, but I
            watched her very closely for a while.

            Sue