[FH] Re: coughing

  • morrishem
    Message 1 of 17 , Sep 1, 2005
      Hi, my vet told me the same, that the coughing was an indication of
      fluid on the lungs. (however, before the HCM diagnosis he said it
      was likely due to asthma)
      Heather

      --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, adawson1971@a... wrote:

      > I missed the original comment, but a cough was one of the things
      my vet
      > told me I definitely had to look out for when my cat was diagnosed
      with
      > HCM. It seems to be an indication of fluid in the lungs. This I
      can
      > definitely attest to. Moth did cough when there was fluid around
      his
      > lungs.
      >
      > As an aside, another of my cats was diagnosed with ashtma. He's
      also on
      > Flovent 220mg and prednisone. He has never coughed. Go figure.
      > (dianosed via x-rays taken for labored breathing and wheezing)
      >
      > Annette

      McGovern
      > was just diagnosed with asthma yesterday. I thought his coughing
      was
      > related to his HCM but the vet said cats won't cough from heart
      related
      > issues. So I would be cautious in increasing the Lasix. Anyone
      > willing to comment?
      >
      > It just seems to make sense that coughing would be a symptom of
      heart
      > failure, attack, etc. She said that's true for humans and dogs
      but not
      > cats.
      >
      > I also filled a prescription for FloventHFA 220 mcg, a
      corticosteroid
      > inhaler. I've given him 2 doses so far. That's a trip... giving a
      cat
      > an inhalant! His coughing has stopped (nothing since 5AM, it is
      now 5
      > PM)but his breathing is still a little labored but not open
      mouthed.
    • Anyes
      Message 2 of 17 , Sep 1, 2005
        Coughing can most definitely be a sign of chf. As to the oxygen, you
        should get some at home. It helps a lot. We used it at home and we
        avoided many crisis that way. It is very inexpensive if you don't go
        through a medical outfit, about $8/month plus the regulator purchase.
        Email me if you need more info.

        Anyes and the girls

        cayvb wrote:

        >--- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, Bab006@a... wrote:
        >

        >>I know coughing is not a good sign, but how much coughing is too
        >>

        >much.
        >
        >Dear Bridget, I panicked too when my cat started coughing. My
        >McGovern was just diagnosed with asthma yesterday. I thought his
        >coughing was related to his HCM but the vet said cats won't cough
        >from heart related issues. So I would be cautious in increasing the
        >Lasix.
        > Anyone willing to comment?
        >It just seems to make sense that coughing would be a symptom of heart
        >failure, attack, etc. She said that's true for humans and dogs but
        >not cats.

      • cayvb
        Message 3 of 17 , Sep 2, 2005
          --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, Anyes <anyes@i...> wrote:
          > Coughing can most definitely be a sign of chf.

          I had to bring McGovern to the emergency room this morning. His
          respiratory rate more then doubled and I panicked. The vet there said
          now it seems like a cardiovascular symptom. So I've been suppressing
          his cough with Prednisone and but that's all. He is still in some kind
          of a crisis.
          I brought him in around 6;00am and I had to leave him there until the
          Cardio vet comes in. He'll have an echo done today. He was due for one
          on Tuesday, but the same cardiologist is at the emergency clinic so
          it'll get done today instead. At least he is there in case he gets
          even worse. Cathy
        • Sue B
          Message 4 of 17 , Sep 2, 2005
            Cathy,

            I don't remember if you cat is one whose coughing is a symptom of asthma or
            CHF. Regardless, it sounds like he's in CHF which requires minimally extra
            diuretics, but often oxygen and vet care including IV diuretics.

            It's sometimes a danger to suppress symptoms because it disguises the real
            issue. The Prednesone could have been hiding the fact that he was getting
            worse.

            But I'm glad to hear that he's in good hands now. I'll keep McGovern in my
            prayers. Please let us know how he does!

            Sue

            > > Coughing can most definitely be a sign of chf.
            >
            > I had to bring McGovern to the emergency room this morning. His
            > respiratory rate more then doubled and I panicked. The vet there said
            > now it seems like a cardiovascular symptom. So I've been suppressing
            > his cough with Prednisone and but that's all. He is still in some kind
            > of a crisis.
            > I brought him in around 6;00am and I had to leave him there until the
            > Cardio vet comes in. He'll have an echo done today. He was due for one
            > on Tuesday, but the same cardiologist is at the emergency clinic so
            > it'll get done today instead. At least he is there in case he gets
            > even worse. Cathy
          • cayvb
            Message 5 of 17 , Sep 2, 2005
              Gov is home now and he is to discontinue the Prednisone but continue
              with Flovent. Emergency vet seems to think the Pred made him so
              uncomfortable as to create the rapid respiration which fluctuated
              between 48-70 reps per minute. And he really looked bad. He has had
              only the Flovent today, nothing else, and he is so much better now.
              But I am to watch him closely for the next 2 days and return him to
              the emergency vet immediately if I notice any further respiratory
              problems. Im so glad I brought him in when I did. I'm such a worrywart
              with him being an HCM boy. His echo looked good for his condition,
              I'll get more info next week when he goes for his yearly.
              Thanks, Cathy
            • Sue B
              Message 6 of 17 , Sep 2, 2005
                Cathy,

                Great News!!! It's always scary with our heart-kitties when things aren't
                right.

                Sue

                > Gov is home now and he is to discontinue the Prednisone but continue
                > with Flovent. Emergency vet seems to think the Pred made him so
                > uncomfortable as to create the rapid respiration which fluctuated
                > between 48-70 reps per minute. And he really looked bad. He has had
                > only the Flovent today, nothing else, and he is so much better now.
                > But I am to watch him closely for the next 2 days and return him to
                > the emergency vet immediately if I notice any further respiratory
                > problems. Im so glad I brought him in when I did. I'm such a worrywart
                > with him being an HCM boy. His echo looked good for his condition,
                > I'll get more info next week when he goes for his yearly.
                > Thanks, Cathy

              • Lisa Clarizia
                Message 7 of 17 , Sep 2, 2005
                  Hi Cathy,

                  I agree with Sue re masking symptoms and that it sounds like McGovern is
                  having a CHF issue. It doesn't sound like asthma at all.

                  I also would be concerned about using steroids in heart kitty. Cats can and
                  do cough from heart conditions, it's a complete myth that they don't
                  although it is more common in dogs and humans. My cat coughs in response to
                  excess fluid, and also because his heart is so enlarged that lying in the
                  right position, it actually pushes on his larynx and makes him cough.

                  I hope McGovern is feeling better now!

                  Lisa

                  --
                  Lisa Clarizia
                  lclarizia@...

                • Betty Seni
                  Message 8 of 17 , Nov 3, 2006
                    Did someone say that coughing is not necessarily related to heart troubles with cats? (I think someone said that with dogs, coughing is related to the heart, but not so with cats...?) My Max has been coughing alot lately (which upsets his stomach and makes him throw up) Could this be fluid related...or maybe something else, like allergies or hairballs?

                  • nala nala
                    Message 9 of 17 , Nov 3, 2006
                      Betty,

                      Coughing can indicate heart trouble or other problems,
                      as other folks have already mentioned. It is just
                      that kitties with heart trouble often don't cough.
                      Dogs with heart trouble are more likely to cough than
                      cats with heart trouble. I hope this clears things
                      up. . .

                      One of my kitties coughs when she has a hairball.
                      She stretches out her neck and coughs and coughs and
                      then swallows very hard. She rarely manages to bring
                      the hairball up - but in a day or two i usually find a
                      stool full of hair after one of these episodes. That
                      said, I would certainly get Max checked out ASAP. It
                      sounds as though his coughing is quite forceful if he
                      is wretching. I would look to make sure that you
                      don't see anything stuck in his throat and get him in
                      to the vet.

                      -Nala, Camille and Cozette

                      --- Betty Seni <bmusical@...> wrote:

                      > Did someone say that coughing is not necessarily
                      > related to heart troubles with cats? (I think
                      > someone said that with dogs, coughing is related to
                      > the heart, but not so with cats...?) My Max has
                      > been coughing alot lately (which upsets his stomach
                      > and makes him throw up) Could this be fluid
                      > related...or maybe something else, like allergies or
                      > hairballs?

                      > removed]

                      (http://www.yahoo.com/preview)
                    • betty_boop_ct
                      Message 10 of 17 , Nov 5, 2006
                        My dear Smokey was first diagnosed with heart disease after I took him
                        to the vet because he sounded like he was trying to hack-up a hairball
                        for about 6 days. His coughing was a result of enviromental asthma
                        which was diagnosed via transtracheal aspiration. This procedure
                        involved the vet getting a sample of his mucous/sputum from his lungs
                        and then this was analyzed by a lab. I opted for this procedure
                        because there was a definitive way to tell if his asthma was viral,
                        bacterial or environmental and given his newly diagnosed heart
                        condition, I wasn't comfortable with trial and error of using
                        medications. His heart disease was not related to his coughing.

                        You may want to do an enviromental check of your home and determine if
                        any type of cleaning products, smoking, air freshers, and such can be
                        a factor. I even went as far as changing the type of cleaning litter
                        to a more natural type (Sweat Scoop).

                        He was also tested for heartworm which was negative and coughing can
                        be a symptom of this too.

                        Please talk with your vet further if you are concerned.

                        Lisa--and my dear heart kitty Smokey and his supportive brother Caz

                        --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "Betty Seni" <bmusical@...> wrote:

                        > Did someone say that coughing is not necessarily related to heart
                        troubles with cats? (I think someone said that with dogs, coughing is
                        related to the heart, but not so with cats...?) My Max has been
                        coughing alot lately (which upsets his stomach and makes him throw up)
                        Could this be fluid related...or maybe something else, like allergies
                        or hairballs?

                      • willow22596
                        Message 11 of 17 , Jul 16, 2014

                          Hi,

                          Can someone tell me the difference between a cat coughing and hairball yacking?

                          I tried googling it, can not find a thing. Thanks

                        • jenisup2
                          Message 12 of 17 , Jul 16, 2014
                            Personally I've noticed that the cough is more concentrated to the front of the body & the head tends to move side to side. The hairball hack sounds more like a gag and the head stays straight hope this helps

                            Sent from my iPhone
                          • Leigh Arrathoon
                            Message 13 of 17 , Jul 16, 2014
                              You know they're throwing up when they cough up a hairball. You can hear the sound of trying to bring something up. I do have two with asthmatic conditions (I live in Michigan, so so do I!) and that's a loud, hollow, unproductive cough. I can usually put an end to that kind of coughing by massaging the bronchial tubes. The same when they swallow the wrong way. I massage the throat and upper chest until the air way is clear.
                              Leigh