Re: [FH] coughing

  • Sue B
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 31, 2005
      Bridget,

      Is it possible that he has asthma? My girl has asthma and that's what it
      sounds like - almost like she's trying to get up a hair ball, but not quite.
      And it can go on for a while.

      If that's the case, then raising the lasix might not be a good idea.

      Asthma is simple for a vet to diagnose using an x-ray of the lungs.

      Sue

      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 3, 2006
        Betty,

        Coughing can be caused by allergies, heart disease, asthma, or probably
        other issues. My girl has both asthma and HCM and there have been times
        when I couldn't tell if it was her asthma or CHF.

        A vet really needs to be the one to make the determination. Asthma is
        easily diagnosed with a chest x-ray. The x-ray will show little circles in
        the lung area. If they don't show up and asthma is still suspected, the cat
        can be given a steroid like prednisone for a short term. If that clears up
        the coughing, then you know it's asthma.

        I'm not sure what would make Max cough so much that he pukes. It could just
        be his reaction to whatever is troubling him.

        Sue

        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 3, 2006
          Betty,

          Q-tip coughs alot, especially at night, but her lungs are always clear.
          Maybe it is a hairball that max has? I do not know.