Re: [FH] Enalapril

  • mfortner@att.net
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 9, 2005
      From: Caroline Sudbay <seasuds@...>
      > They suggested putting her on enalapril in addition to
      > continuing with the atenolol. Was just wondering
      > about pros/cons of enalapril (kidney concerns?) and if
      > maybe I should forgo this medicine and just stick with
      > the atenolol.

      Spice improved a lot after his cardiologist added 1.25 mg of Enalpril once a day to Atenolol (he was taking 12.5 mg twice a day of that). Enalpril targets specific areas of the heart - especially mitral valve insufficiency - so it isn't really duplicating the effect of Atenolol.

      I'm not sure it is any harder on the kidneys than any of the other heart meds, but monitoring kidney values is always a good idea.

      If you decide to try it and it works out, I recommend going to PetRx.com to order a long term supply. I paid 23.47 for 30 2.5mg tablets at Walgreens. I just ordered 100 2.5 mg tablets from PetRX.com and for $20.95. Even with shipping, it's a bargain!
      --
      Marge, Sugar, Spice (HCM), Creamsicle, and Callie
      Bridge Kitties Felix and Oscar