Re: [FH] Compounding Medicine

  • savionna@aol.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 4, 2005
      Hi Bridget,

      In a message dated 8/4/05 6:30:04 PM, Bab006@... writes:

      << I bought
      some of the most expensive brands today just to try. >>

      What brands were those?

      << I opened 3 of the most extensive cans and he turned his nose
      up. >>

      It is often difficult to get a cat to eat a new food b/c cats have a very
      powerful built-in mechanism that inhibits their ingesting anything that smells
      "foreign" to them, which means (in Cat World) it may not be safe. Altho every
      cat has a diff. tolerance of new smells, the safest approach is to add a very
      small amt (like 1/2 tsp) of a new food to an old food, then increase by that amt
      upon acceptance.

      If you haven't tried them already, here are some other options to consider.
      If the cat likes fish, which has a strong smell that is attractive to some
      cats, it might be useful to spoon the juice of water-packed tuna or clam juice
      over food. Some cats also respond to dehydrated fish flakes, such as Kitty Kaviar
      or bonita flakes (available at some groceries, particularly Asian grocers).
      Or you can squirt some of the oil from a fish-body oil capsule onto food.

      << I opened another can of an old
      favorite than he has not eaten in a while and he ate the WHOLE can. >>

      This could possibly be b/c that food is familiar and "safe" to him. If he
      likes that food, would it be possible to feed it consistently?

      << ANyway, my local pharacist is willing to compound the meds
      in cod liver oil since he cannot find fish oil. >>

      Cod liver oil is high in fat-soluble vitamins, which can build up in the
      body, which is not sound nutrition.

      If the cat likes fish-body oil (I'm assuming you mean salmon oil or similar),
      is it possible to use that to administer the meds (if you haven't tried that
      already)? Would it be possible to coat his meds with it to make them more

      << So I will continue to use up
      to 10 cans of cat food like today to get him to take his meds until I get
      his meds compounded. >>

      Have you tried flavored chewable meds? BCP is a compounding pharmacy that
      makes medicated chews in various flavors, incl fish. In the past, they would send
      sample (unmedicated) chews to the vet's ofc in various flavors so that the
      client could try them with the animal before spending $ to make up the meds.
      Contact is at www.bcpvetpharm.com. // Rosemary