Re: [FH] Is it a heart problem??

  • savionna@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 4, 2005
      Hi Tamara,

      In a message dated 8/4/05 1:45:02 PM, tamarachurch@... writes:

      << My cat Riley is a spunky and energetic 16 month old orange tabby. For

      the last 5-6 months my fiance and I notice that when we play with him

      (and he likes to play HARD)he seems to be breathing very hard (also

      purring like a madman, too). He has had a chest xray, extensive blood

      work and nothing seems to indicate that things are amiss. >>

      Is it hot where you are? Does his problem worsen in the heat? Even generally
      healthy cats may pant and breathe hard from vigorous play in hot weather.

      << Otherwise, Riley seems alert, always ready to play and has a VERY

      healthy appetite. He's weighing in at 13 lbs so we're going to try to

      slim him down to at least 12. >>

      What does he eat (brand, flavor, canned or dry)? Dry food, which is high in
      carbohydrate, is a primary contributing factor to overweight and obesity in
      cats...along with a range of other disorders, incl diabetes, chronic urinary
      issues, "allergies," digestive disorders, and dental/gum disorders. These may not
      show up immediately or in a pronounced way (if ever)...but the effect of
      feeding a species-inappropriate diet to an obligate carnivore can be cumulative
      over time. The quality of the diet ("quality" in the nutritional sense, meaning
      the ability of the food to meet the nutritional needs of the consumer) can also
      affect breathing, eg if the cat reacts "allergically" to ingredients in the
      food (sort of similar to how humans can get a stuffy nose, closed throat, etc
      from eating a peanut, cow dairy products, or similar).

      How much does he eat? The feeding guideline for an adult cat is about 20-30
      calories per lb of ideal body weight per day...adjusted for age, activity,
      metabolism, etc. A 12 lb would need about 240-360 calories per day. Most
      high-quality canned foods are about 30-35 calories per oz. There are charts with the
      calorie counts and other nutritional information of common cat foods here:
      www.sugarcats.net/sites/jmpeerson. Cats who eat dry typically gorge more calories
      than they need in an attempt to get nutrients, since the nutrients in dry food
      are not in a form readily available to cats.

      If you're interested, some sites with relatively reliable information on
      feline nutrition incl (#1, 2, 4 have information on the relationship between diet
      and weight):

      1. http://home.earthlink.net/~jacm2/id1.html
      2. www.catinfo.org
      3. www.maxshouse.com/feline_nutrition.htm