Re: [FH] Update Can 12

  • Sue B
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 4, 2005
      Bridget,

      You sure have my sympathy! My vet said that I should let my girl eat 6 oz
      of canned food or 1/2 cup dry food per day. But then she was almost 18
      pounds and a bit overweight. Now she's down to 15-1/2 pounds and I let her
      eat what she wants, but it's just not all that much.

      I really limit the dry food since it's not good for her.

      Sometimes I sprinkle tuna flakes on her food & she'll eat something she
      didn't want.
      http://www.petfooddirect.com/store/product_detail.asp?pf%5Fid=3040051&dept%5
      Fid=17&brand%5Fid=46&Page=&mscssid=FEJA1TXDV0748GMBUCDCAPFGQ4386TT1

      I've also had success with dried mackerel flakes (Fish Out of Water)
      http://www.cookscorner.com/product_information.asp?number=F3000&back=yes&dep
      t=388&last=388

      Sue

      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 4, 2005
        Hi Bridget,

        In a message dated 8/4/05 9:58:46 PM, Bab006@... writes:

        << How many
        cans does your cats eat a day? Actually eat, not what you opened. He ate
        almost 3 whole cans of food today and some dry stuff. Is that typical. >>

        The general guideline is to feed 20-30 calories per lb of ideal body weight
        per day, adjusted for age, metabolism, energy, etc. Most canned foods are about
        30-35 calories per ounce. There are charts with the calorie counts of many
        common foods here: www.sugarcats.net/sites/jmpeerson.

        << I never
        routinely fed canned food before just used as a treat so I don't know what
        to expect. >>

        Have you just recently introduced canned food as a meal? That could be part
        of the reason why the cat won't eat canned. // Rosemary