Re: [FH] Compounding Medicine

  • Linda Fischbach
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 4, 2005
      Bridget, would your cat accept medication in gelcaps? Of course you still
      have to put them in his mouth and follow with a some water or food, but
      there is no taste and they go down easier. Or just pull the liquid
      medication into a syringe, fill the syringe with tasty meat babyfood, and
      syringe it into him.

      Linda

      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 4, 2005
        Nope the last time I gave medication by syringe to mouth he puked which made
        him cough. When he coughs the hard he has broken small blood vessels in his
        lungs that he coughs up blood, so I am afraid to syringe him anymore or put
        anything in his mouth. This cat has no front claws (he is a stray and came
        that way) but he has scratched me so deep with his back claws that I need
        stitches. He does not like to be held or picked up to even touched unless he
        initiates it. He is my hardest cat to get along with and of all cats that get
        sick. He is also my only pure bred. Could someone mail me 1 sample of the
        pill pockets? I am willing to pay for postage.
        My address is
        Bridget Bailey
        484 Silver Street
        Poca, WV 25159
        I am getting desperate and money is tight right now. I don't want to pay
        $10 to order some and they don't work like the $60 worth of vitamins I have on
        my counter. If someone wants to trade some pill pockets for some vitamins
        let me know. Thanks

      • savionna@aol.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 4, 2005
          Hi Bridget,

          In a message dated 8/4/05 6:30:04 PM, Bab006@... writes:

          << I bought
          some of the most expensive brands today just to try. >>

          What brands were those?

          << I opened 3 of the most extensive cans and he turned his nose
          up. >>

          It is often difficult to get a cat to eat a new food b/c cats have a very
          powerful built-in mechanism that inhibits their ingesting anything that smells
          "foreign" to them, which means (in Cat World) it may not be safe. Altho every
          cat has a diff. tolerance of new smells, the safest approach is to add a very
          small amt (like 1/2 tsp) of a new food to an old food, then increase by that amt
          upon acceptance.

          If you haven't tried them already, here are some other options to consider.
          If the cat likes fish, which has a strong smell that is attractive to some
          cats, it might be useful to spoon the juice of water-packed tuna or clam juice
          over food. Some cats also respond to dehydrated fish flakes, such as Kitty Kaviar
          or bonita flakes (available at some groceries, particularly Asian grocers).
          Or you can squirt some of the oil from a fish-body oil capsule onto food.

          << I opened another can of an old
          favorite than he has not eaten in a while and he ate the WHOLE can. >>

          This could possibly be b/c that food is familiar and "safe" to him. If he
          likes that food, would it be possible to feed it consistently?

          << ANyway, my local pharacist is willing to compound the meds
          in cod liver oil since he cannot find fish oil. >>

          Cod liver oil is high in fat-soluble vitamins, which can build up in the
          body, which is not sound nutrition.

          If the cat likes fish-body oil (I'm assuming you mean salmon oil or similar),
          is it possible to use that to administer the meds (if you haven't tried that
          already)? Would it be possible to coat his meds with it to make them more
          palatable?

          << So I will continue to use up
          to 10 cans of cat food like today to get him to take his meds until I get
          his meds compounded. >>

          Have you tried flavored chewable meds? BCP is a compounding pharmacy that
          makes medicated chews in various flavors, incl fish. In the past, they would send
          sample (unmedicated) chews to the vet's ofc in various flavors so that the
          client could try them with the animal before spending $ to make up the meds.
          Contact is at www.bcpvetpharm.com. // Rosemary