Re: [FH] Compounding Medicine

  • Linda Fischbach
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 4, 2005
      I've used http://monumentpharmacy.com/ .

      Linda

      ----- Original Message -----
      From: "combi_kin" <combi_kin@...>
      To: <feline-heart@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Thursday, August 04, 2005 7:21 PM
      Subject: Re: [FH] Compounding Medicine

    • Bab006@aol.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 4, 2005
        I need to get a sample of the flavoring before putting all this money into
        something else that does not work. Right now I pay $50 a month for meds that
        are not compounded and I waste about 1/4 of it in foods he won't eat. They
        only thing I am sure he will eat every single time is fish oil. My vet did
        research on the amount I can give him. I just tested the cod liver oil to see
        if he would take and again a big NO turned his nose up completely. I am
        about to my wits end. Luckily I have other cats and dogs that are more than
        happy with all the cans of food I open every day. This cat won't take treats,
        milk, tuna or any beef flavored cat food. I have no clue each day as to what
        flavor he will eat. So I open and open and open cans. I literally opened 10
        cans today to find one he will take. His evening dose of lasix is due soon,
        wonder how many cans I will have to open this evening. He has eaten dry food
        most of his life because that is what he likes so he isn't used to can food,
        but he loves it if I find a flavor he wants.

        Bridget Bailey (bab0066vpy)
        Visit my Ebay Store for Vintage and Unique Items
        _eBay Store - 0-BridgetsVintageUniqueFinds-0: On Sale, Free Shipping,
        Puzzles_ (http://stores.ebay.com/0-BridgetsVintageUniqueFinds-0)

      • Linda Fischbach
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 4, 2005
          Bridget, would your cat accept medication in gelcaps? Of course you still
          have to put them in his mouth and follow with a some water or food, but
          there is no taste and they go down easier. Or just pull the liquid
          medication into a syringe, fill the syringe with tasty meat babyfood, and
          syringe it into him.

          Linda

        • Bab006@aol.com
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 4, 2005
            Nope the last time I gave medication by syringe to mouth he puked which made
            him cough. When he coughs the hard he has broken small blood vessels in his
            lungs that he coughs up blood, so I am afraid to syringe him anymore or put
            anything in his mouth. This cat has no front claws (he is a stray and came
            that way) but he has scratched me so deep with his back claws that I need
            stitches. He does not like to be held or picked up to even touched unless he
            initiates it. He is my hardest cat to get along with and of all cats that get
            sick. He is also my only pure bred. Could someone mail me 1 sample of the
            pill pockets? I am willing to pay for postage.
            My address is
            Bridget Bailey
            484 Silver Street
            Poca, WV 25159
            I am getting desperate and money is tight right now. I don't want to pay
            $10 to order some and they don't work like the $60 worth of vitamins I have on
            my counter. If someone wants to trade some pill pockets for some vitamins
            let me know. Thanks

          • savionna@aol.com
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 4, 2005
              Hi Bridget,

              In a message dated 8/4/05 6:30:04 PM, Bab006@... writes:

              << I bought
              some of the most expensive brands today just to try. >>

              What brands were those?

              << I opened 3 of the most extensive cans and he turned his nose
              up. >>

              It is often difficult to get a cat to eat a new food b/c cats have a very
              powerful built-in mechanism that inhibits their ingesting anything that smells
              "foreign" to them, which means (in Cat World) it may not be safe. Altho every
              cat has a diff. tolerance of new smells, the safest approach is to add a very
              small amt (like 1/2 tsp) of a new food to an old food, then increase by that amt
              upon acceptance.

              If you haven't tried them already, here are some other options to consider.
              If the cat likes fish, which has a strong smell that is attractive to some
              cats, it might be useful to spoon the juice of water-packed tuna or clam juice
              over food. Some cats also respond to dehydrated fish flakes, such as Kitty Kaviar
              or bonita flakes (available at some groceries, particularly Asian grocers).
              Or you can squirt some of the oil from a fish-body oil capsule onto food.

              << I opened another can of an old
              favorite than he has not eaten in a while and he ate the WHOLE can. >>

              This could possibly be b/c that food is familiar and "safe" to him. If he
              likes that food, would it be possible to feed it consistently?

              << ANyway, my local pharacist is willing to compound the meds
              in cod liver oil since he cannot find fish oil. >>

              Cod liver oil is high in fat-soluble vitamins, which can build up in the
              body, which is not sound nutrition.

              If the cat likes fish-body oil (I'm assuming you mean salmon oil or similar),
              is it possible to use that to administer the meds (if you haven't tried that
              already)? Would it be possible to coat his meds with it to make them more
              palatable?

              << So I will continue to use up
              to 10 cans of cat food like today to get him to take his meds until I get
              his meds compounded. >>

              Have you tried flavored chewable meds? BCP is a compounding pharmacy that
              makes medicated chews in various flavors, incl fish. In the past, they would send
              sample (unmedicated) chews to the vet's ofc in various flavors so that the
              client could try them with the animal before spending $ to make up the meds.
              Contact is at www.bcpvetpharm.com. // Rosemary