Re: [FH] Compounding Medicine

  • combi_kin
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 4, 2005
      CAUTION!
      Cod Liver Oil is much too high in Vitamins A and D to be used as the
      solvent for medications. Oil-based vitamins can be toxic to your
      cat. Most of the compounding pharmacies on this will do site mail
      order and you can have your medication in just two business days.

      I use Veterinary Pharmacies of America, and they ship Fedex overnight
      for a very reasonable charge of only $7. The medications can be
      flavored with chicken, fish, etc. Their number is 877-VET-RXRX and
      you can also visit their website at http://www.vetrxrx.com/. I am not
      affiliated with them in any way, I have just gotten good service from
      them with my cat's recent illness.

      It is much better to work with a professional veterinary compounding
      pharmacy than with a pharmacist who is not accustomed to doing this --
      proper dosage and knowing what materials are non-toxic to cats are
      very, very important.

      --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, Bab006@a... wrote:
      > I went to the pet store to pick up some more flavors of cat food.
      I bought
      > some of the most expensive brands today just to try. Came home to
      give the
      > digoxin and well I opened 3 of the most extensive cans and he
      turned his nose
      > up. Still rubbing my legs he was hungry so I opened another can of
      an old
      > favorite than he has not eaten in a while and he ate the WHOLE
      can. So he is
      > just that picky. ANyway, my local pharacist is willing to compound
      the meds
      > in cod liver oil since he cannot find fish oil. Well I had to call
      the vet to
      > get permission for cod liver oil since it is not the same as fish
      oil.
    • Linda Fischbach
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 4, 2005
        I've used http://monumentpharmacy.com/ .

        Linda

      • Bab006@aol.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 4, 2005
          I need to get a sample of the flavoring before putting all this money into
          something else that does not work. Right now I pay $50 a month for meds that
          are not compounded and I waste about 1/4 of it in foods he won't eat. They
          only thing I am sure he will eat every single time is fish oil. My vet did
          research on the amount I can give him. I just tested the cod liver oil to see
          if he would take and again a big NO turned his nose up completely. I am
          about to my wits end. Luckily I have other cats and dogs that are more than
          happy with all the cans of food I open every day. This cat won't take treats,
          milk, tuna or any beef flavored cat food. I have no clue each day as to what
          flavor he will eat. So I open and open and open cans. I literally opened 10
          cans today to find one he will take. His evening dose of lasix is due soon,
          wonder how many cans I will have to open this evening. He has eaten dry food
          most of his life because that is what he likes so he isn't used to can food,
          but he loves it if I find a flavor he wants.

          Bridget Bailey (bab0066vpy)
          Visit my Ebay Store for Vintage and Unique Items
          _eBay Store - 0-BridgetsVintageUniqueFinds-0: On Sale, Free Shipping,
          Puzzles_ (http://stores.ebay.com/0-BridgetsVintageUniqueFinds-0)

        • Linda Fischbach
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 4, 2005
            Bridget, would your cat accept medication in gelcaps? Of course you still
            have to put them in his mouth and follow with a some water or food, but
            there is no taste and they go down easier. Or just pull the liquid
            medication into a syringe, fill the syringe with tasty meat babyfood, and
            syringe it into him.

            Linda

          • Bab006@aol.com
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 4, 2005
              Nope the last time I gave medication by syringe to mouth he puked which made
              him cough. When he coughs the hard he has broken small blood vessels in his
              lungs that he coughs up blood, so I am afraid to syringe him anymore or put
              anything in his mouth. This cat has no front claws (he is a stray and came
              that way) but he has scratched me so deep with his back claws that I need
              stitches. He does not like to be held or picked up to even touched unless he
              initiates it. He is my hardest cat to get along with and of all cats that get
              sick. He is also my only pure bred. Could someone mail me 1 sample of the
              pill pockets? I am willing to pay for postage.
              My address is
              Bridget Bailey
              484 Silver Street
              Poca, WV 25159
              I am getting desperate and money is tight right now. I don't want to pay
              $10 to order some and they don't work like the $60 worth of vitamins I have on
              my counter. If someone wants to trade some pill pockets for some vitamins
              let me know. Thanks

            • savionna@aol.com
              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 4, 2005
                Hi Bridget,

                In a message dated 8/4/05 6:30:04 PM, Bab006@... writes:

                << I bought
                some of the most expensive brands today just to try. >>

                What brands were those?

                << I opened 3 of the most extensive cans and he turned his nose
                up. >>

                It is often difficult to get a cat to eat a new food b/c cats have a very
                powerful built-in mechanism that inhibits their ingesting anything that smells
                "foreign" to them, which means (in Cat World) it may not be safe. Altho every
                cat has a diff. tolerance of new smells, the safest approach is to add a very
                small amt (like 1/2 tsp) of a new food to an old food, then increase by that amt
                upon acceptance.

                If you haven't tried them already, here are some other options to consider.
                If the cat likes fish, which has a strong smell that is attractive to some
                cats, it might be useful to spoon the juice of water-packed tuna or clam juice
                over food. Some cats also respond to dehydrated fish flakes, such as Kitty Kaviar
                or bonita flakes (available at some groceries, particularly Asian grocers).
                Or you can squirt some of the oil from a fish-body oil capsule onto food.

                << I opened another can of an old
                favorite than he has not eaten in a while and he ate the WHOLE can. >>

                This could possibly be b/c that food is familiar and "safe" to him. If he
                likes that food, would it be possible to feed it consistently?

                << ANyway, my local pharacist is willing to compound the meds
                in cod liver oil since he cannot find fish oil. >>

                Cod liver oil is high in fat-soluble vitamins, which can build up in the
                body, which is not sound nutrition.

                If the cat likes fish-body oil (I'm assuming you mean salmon oil or similar),
                is it possible to use that to administer the meds (if you haven't tried that
                already)? Would it be possible to coat his meds with it to make them more
                palatable?

                << So I will continue to use up
                to 10 cans of cat food like today to get him to take his meds until I get
                his meds compounded. >>

                Have you tried flavored chewable meds? BCP is a compounding pharmacy that
                makes medicated chews in various flavors, incl fish. In the past, they would send
                sample (unmedicated) chews to the vet's ofc in various flavors so that the
                client could try them with the animal before spending $ to make up the meds.
                Contact is at www.bcpvetpharm.com. // Rosemary