Re: [FH] Compounding Medicine

  • Bab006@aol.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 4, 2005
      I went to the pet store to pick up some more flavors of cat food. I bought
      some of the most expensive brands today just to try. Came home to give the
      digoxin and well I opened 3 of the most extensive cans and he turned his nose
      up. Still rubbing my legs he was hungry so I opened another can of an old
      favorite than he has not eaten in a while and he ate the WHOLE can. So he is
      just that picky. ANyway, my local pharacist is willing to compound the meds
      in cod liver oil since he cannot find fish oil. Well I had to call the vet to
      get permission for cod liver oil since it is not the same as fish oil. The
      joys of a picky cat. I can in no way shape or form give this cat anything
      directly in his mouth. He is way too mean and it stresses him to no end to
      force anything in his mouth. THe last time I tried he hyperventilated and
      passed out literally. I thought he died right then. So I will continue to use up
      to 10 cans of cat food like today to get him to take his meds until I get
      his meds compounded.

      Bridget Bailey (bab0066vpy)
      Visit my Ebay Store for Vintage and Unique Items
      _eBay Store - 0-BridgetsVintageUniqueFinds-0: On Sale, Free Shipping,
      Puzzles_ (http://stores.ebay.com/0-BridgetsVintageUniqueFinds-0)

    • combi_kin
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 4, 2005
        CAUTION!
        Cod Liver Oil is much too high in Vitamins A and D to be used as the
        solvent for medications. Oil-based vitamins can be toxic to your
        cat. Most of the compounding pharmacies on this will do site mail
        order and you can have your medication in just two business days.

        I use Veterinary Pharmacies of America, and they ship Fedex overnight
        for a very reasonable charge of only $7. The medications can be
        flavored with chicken, fish, etc. Their number is 877-VET-RXRX and
        you can also visit their website at http://www.vetrxrx.com/. I am not
        affiliated with them in any way, I have just gotten good service from
        them with my cat's recent illness.

        It is much better to work with a professional veterinary compounding
        pharmacy than with a pharmacist who is not accustomed to doing this --
        proper dosage and knowing what materials are non-toxic to cats are
        very, very important.

        --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, Bab006@a... wrote:
        > I went to the pet store to pick up some more flavors of cat food.
        I bought
        > some of the most expensive brands today just to try. Came home to
        give the
        > digoxin and well I opened 3 of the most extensive cans and he
        turned his nose
        > up. Still rubbing my legs he was hungry so I opened another can of
        an old
        > favorite than he has not eaten in a while and he ate the WHOLE
        can. So he is
        > just that picky. ANyway, my local pharacist is willing to compound
        the meds
        > in cod liver oil since he cannot find fish oil. Well I had to call
        the vet to
        > get permission for cod liver oil since it is not the same as fish
        oil.
      • Linda Fischbach
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 4, 2005
          I've used http://monumentpharmacy.com/ .

          Linda

        • Bab006@aol.com
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 4, 2005
            I need to get a sample of the flavoring before putting all this money into
            something else that does not work. Right now I pay $50 a month for meds that
            are not compounded and I waste about 1/4 of it in foods he won't eat. They
            only thing I am sure he will eat every single time is fish oil. My vet did
            research on the amount I can give him. I just tested the cod liver oil to see
            if he would take and again a big NO turned his nose up completely. I am
            about to my wits end. Luckily I have other cats and dogs that are more than
            happy with all the cans of food I open every day. This cat won't take treats,
            milk, tuna or any beef flavored cat food. I have no clue each day as to what
            flavor he will eat. So I open and open and open cans. I literally opened 10
            cans today to find one he will take. His evening dose of lasix is due soon,
            wonder how many cans I will have to open this evening. He has eaten dry food
            most of his life because that is what he likes so he isn't used to can food,
            but he loves it if I find a flavor he wants.

            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 4, 2005
              Bridget, would your cat accept medication in gelcaps? Of course you still
              have to put them in his mouth and follow with a some water or food, but
              there is no taste and they go down easier. Or just pull the liquid
              medication into a syringe, fill the syringe with tasty meat babyfood, and
              syringe it into him.

              Linda

            • Bab006@aol.com
              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 4, 2005
                Nope the last time I gave medication by syringe to mouth he puked which made
                him cough. When he coughs the hard he has broken small blood vessels in his
                lungs that he coughs up blood, so I am afraid to syringe him anymore or put
                anything in his mouth. This cat has no front claws (he is a stray and came
                that way) but he has scratched me so deep with his back claws that I need
                stitches. He does not like to be held or picked up to even touched unless he
                initiates it. He is my hardest cat to get along with and of all cats that get
                sick. He is also my only pure bred. Could someone mail me 1 sample of the
                pill pockets? I am willing to pay for postage.
                My address is
                Bridget Bailey
                484 Silver Street
                Poca, WV 25159
                I am getting desperate and money is tight right now. I don't want to pay
                $10 to order some and they don't work like the $60 worth of vitamins I have on
                my counter. If someone wants to trade some pill pockets for some vitamins
                let me know. Thanks

              • savionna@aol.com
                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 4, 2005
                  Hi Bridget,

                  In a message dated 8/4/05 6:30:04 PM, Bab006@... writes:

                  << I bought
                  some of the most expensive brands today just to try. >>

                  What brands were those?

                  << I opened 3 of the most extensive cans and he turned his nose
                  up. >>

                  It is often difficult to get a cat to eat a new food b/c cats have a very
                  powerful built-in mechanism that inhibits their ingesting anything that smells
                  "foreign" to them, which means (in Cat World) it may not be safe. Altho every
                  cat has a diff. tolerance of new smells, the safest approach is to add a very
                  small amt (like 1/2 tsp) of a new food to an old food, then increase by that amt
                  upon acceptance.

                  If you haven't tried them already, here are some other options to consider.
                  If the cat likes fish, which has a strong smell that is attractive to some
                  cats, it might be useful to spoon the juice of water-packed tuna or clam juice
                  over food. Some cats also respond to dehydrated fish flakes, such as Kitty Kaviar
                  or bonita flakes (available at some groceries, particularly Asian grocers).
                  Or you can squirt some of the oil from a fish-body oil capsule onto food.

                  << I opened another can of an old
                  favorite than he has not eaten in a while and he ate the WHOLE can. >>

                  This could possibly be b/c that food is familiar and "safe" to him. If he
                  likes that food, would it be possible to feed it consistently?

                  << ANyway, my local pharacist is willing to compound the meds
                  in cod liver oil since he cannot find fish oil. >>

                  Cod liver oil is high in fat-soluble vitamins, which can build up in the
                  body, which is not sound nutrition.

                  If the cat likes fish-body oil (I'm assuming you mean salmon oil or similar),
                  is it possible to use that to administer the meds (if you haven't tried that
                  already)? Would it be possible to coat his meds with it to make them more
                  palatable?

                  << So I will continue to use up
                  to 10 cans of cat food like today to get him to take his meds until I get
                  his meds compounded. >>

                  Have you tried flavored chewable meds? BCP is a compounding pharmacy that
                  makes medicated chews in various flavors, incl fish. In the past, they would send
                  sample (unmedicated) chews to the vet's ofc in various flavors so that the
                  client could try them with the animal before spending $ to make up the meds.
                  Contact is at www.bcpvetpharm.com. // Rosemary