Re: [FH] Compounding Medicine

  • Sue B
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 4, 2005
      There's a folder on the Yahoo group site about compounding pharmacies
      including listings for some specific pharmacies and a search function -
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/feline-heart/links/Compounding_Pharmacy_001031
      277178/

      I'm using the local Medicine Shoppe which is a chain -
      http://www.medicineshoppe.com/. They have a locator function on their site.

      When I first had to give Pepper her meds, I used to grind it into a powder.
      Then I would pinch the powder between my fingers and drop it into her mouth.
      They can't really spit it back out and it's much easier than giving a whole
      pill. The drawbacks are that you can't always hold the whole thing at once
      so it can take a couple tries.

      Sue

      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 4, 2005
        I went to the pet store to pick up some more flavors of cat food. I bought
        some of the most expensive brands today just to try. Came home to give the
        digoxin and well I opened 3 of the most extensive cans and he turned his nose
        up. Still rubbing my legs he was hungry so I opened another can of an old
        favorite than he has not eaten in a while and he ate the WHOLE can. So he is
        just that picky. ANyway, my local pharacist is willing to compound the meds
        in cod liver oil since he cannot find fish oil. Well I had to call the vet to
        get permission for cod liver oil since it is not the same as fish oil. The
        joys of a picky cat. I can in no way shape or form give this cat anything
        directly in his mouth. He is way too mean and it stresses him to no end to
        force anything in his mouth. THe last time I tried he hyperventilated and
        passed out literally. I thought he died right then. So I will continue to use up
        to 10 cans of cat food like today to get him to take his meds until I get
        his meds compounded.

        Bridget Bailey (bab0066vpy)
        Visit my Ebay Store for Vintage and Unique Items
        _eBay Store - 0-BridgetsVintageUniqueFinds-0: On Sale, Free Shipping,
        Puzzles_ (http://stores.ebay.com/0-BridgetsVintageUniqueFinds-0)

      • combi_kin
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 4, 2005
          CAUTION!
          Cod Liver Oil is much too high in Vitamins A and D to be used as the
          solvent for medications. Oil-based vitamins can be toxic to your
          cat. Most of the compounding pharmacies on this will do site mail
          order and you can have your medication in just two business days.

          I use Veterinary Pharmacies of America, and they ship Fedex overnight
          for a very reasonable charge of only $7. The medications can be
          flavored with chicken, fish, etc. Their number is 877-VET-RXRX and
          you can also visit their website at http://www.vetrxrx.com/. I am not
          affiliated with them in any way, I have just gotten good service from
          them with my cat's recent illness.

          It is much better to work with a professional veterinary compounding
          pharmacy than with a pharmacist who is not accustomed to doing this --
          proper dosage and knowing what materials are non-toxic to cats are
          very, very important.

          --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, Bab006@a... wrote:
          > I went to the pet store to pick up some more flavors of cat food.
          I bought
          > some of the most expensive brands today just to try. Came home to
          give the
          > digoxin and well I opened 3 of the most extensive cans and he
          turned his nose
          > up. Still rubbing my legs he was hungry so I opened another can of
          an old
          > favorite than he has not eaten in a while and he ate the WHOLE
          can. So he is
          > just that picky. ANyway, my local pharacist is willing to compound
          the meds
          > in cod liver oil since he cannot find fish oil. Well I had to call
          the vet to
          > get permission for cod liver oil since it is not the same as fish
          oil.
        • Linda Fischbach
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 4, 2005
            I've used http://monumentpharmacy.com/ .

            Linda

          • Bab006@aol.com
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 4, 2005
              I need to get a sample of the flavoring before putting all this money into
              something else that does not work. Right now I pay $50 a month for meds that
              are not compounded and I waste about 1/4 of it in foods he won't eat. They
              only thing I am sure he will eat every single time is fish oil. My vet did
              research on the amount I can give him. I just tested the cod liver oil to see
              if he would take and again a big NO turned his nose up completely. I am
              about to my wits end. Luckily I have other cats and dogs that are more than
              happy with all the cans of food I open every day. This cat won't take treats,
              milk, tuna or any beef flavored cat food. I have no clue each day as to what
              flavor he will eat. So I open and open and open cans. I literally opened 10
              cans today to find one he will take. His evening dose of lasix is due soon,
              wonder how many cans I will have to open this evening. He has eaten dry food
              most of his life because that is what he likes so he isn't used to can food,
              but he loves it if I find a flavor he wants.

              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 4, 2005
                Bridget, would your cat accept medication in gelcaps? Of course you still
                have to put them in his mouth and follow with a some water or food, but
                there is no taste and they go down easier. Or just pull the liquid
                medication into a syringe, fill the syringe with tasty meat babyfood, and
                syringe it into him.

                Linda

              • Bab006@aol.com
                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 4, 2005
                  Nope the last time I gave medication by syringe to mouth he puked which made
                  him cough. When he coughs the hard he has broken small blood vessels in his
                  lungs that he coughs up blood, so I am afraid to syringe him anymore or put
                  anything in his mouth. This cat has no front claws (he is a stray and came
                  that way) but he has scratched me so deep with his back claws that I need
                  stitches. He does not like to be held or picked up to even touched unless he
                  initiates it. He is my hardest cat to get along with and of all cats that get
                  sick. He is also my only pure bred. Could someone mail me 1 sample of the
                  pill pockets? I am willing to pay for postage.
                  My address is
                  Bridget Bailey
                  484 Silver Street
                  Poca, WV 25159
                  I am getting desperate and money is tight right now. I don't want to pay
                  $10 to order some and they don't work like the $60 worth of vitamins I have on
                  my counter. If someone wants to trade some pill pockets for some vitamins
                  let me know. Thanks

                • savionna@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 8 , Aug 4, 2005
                    Hi Bridget,

                    In a message dated 8/4/05 6:30:04 PM, Bab006@... writes:

                    << I bought
                    some of the most expensive brands today just to try. >>

                    What brands were those?

                    << I opened 3 of the most extensive cans and he turned his nose
                    up. >>

                    It is often difficult to get a cat to eat a new food b/c cats have a very
                    powerful built-in mechanism that inhibits their ingesting anything that smells
                    "foreign" to them, which means (in Cat World) it may not be safe. Altho every
                    cat has a diff. tolerance of new smells, the safest approach is to add a very
                    small amt (like 1/2 tsp) of a new food to an old food, then increase by that amt
                    upon acceptance.

                    If you haven't tried them already, here are some other options to consider.
                    If the cat likes fish, which has a strong smell that is attractive to some
                    cats, it might be useful to spoon the juice of water-packed tuna or clam juice
                    over food. Some cats also respond to dehydrated fish flakes, such as Kitty Kaviar
                    or bonita flakes (available at some groceries, particularly Asian grocers).
                    Or you can squirt some of the oil from a fish-body oil capsule onto food.

                    << I opened another can of an old
                    favorite than he has not eaten in a while and he ate the WHOLE can. >>

                    This could possibly be b/c that food is familiar and "safe" to him. If he
                    likes that food, would it be possible to feed it consistently?

                    << ANyway, my local pharacist is willing to compound the meds
                    in cod liver oil since he cannot find fish oil. >>

                    Cod liver oil is high in fat-soluble vitamins, which can build up in the
                    body, which is not sound nutrition.

                    If the cat likes fish-body oil (I'm assuming you mean salmon oil or similar),
                    is it possible to use that to administer the meds (if you haven't tried that
                    already)? Would it be possible to coat his meds with it to make them more
                    palatable?

                    << So I will continue to use up
                    to 10 cans of cat food like today to get him to take his meds until I get
                    his meds compounded. >>

                    Have you tried flavored chewable meds? BCP is a compounding pharmacy that
                    makes medicated chews in various flavors, incl fish. In the past, they would send
                    sample (unmedicated) chews to the vet's ofc in various flavors so that the
                    client could try them with the animal before spending $ to make up the meds.
                    Contact is at www.bcpvetpharm.com. // Rosemary