Sydney is a dope fiend

  • combi_kin
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 1, 2005
      In my year with the inscrutable Sydney (we adopted her at the age of
      12 when her former owners had to relocate to Australia), I never
      noticed much interest in catnip. I reread parts of Anitra Frazier's
      wonderful book this weekend, and was struck by her anecdotes about
      the catnip-dispensing vet she once worked for. This vet believed
      that catnip, in limited (no more than once a week) doses, was
      therapeutic.

      So I picked up some Cosmic Catnip this weekend and brought it home,
      and had such a great experience! Sydney, who prides herself on
      projecting disinterest whenever we're particular keen to get her to
      do something, walked over and started rubbing her
      face on the unopened carton.

      I sprinkled just a pinch on the rug, and she was immediately rolling
      and purring, so I offered her a good sniff of the container, and she
      stuck her face in it and took a huge chomp.

      For the next 20 minutes she was rolling, dancing and purring like
      mad, so I got out her toys. Ever since she got sick six weeks ago,
      she's not been interested in more than a little play. Not this
      time! It was the Sydney Olympics. I watched carefully for
      shortness of breath or any other symptoms, and she was totally fine,
      just blissed out. The glow seemed to last through the next day.

      I hope there's nothing wrong with this, as I think that regular,
      gentle exercise can do her good. I've been doing this by carrying
      her out into the yard and then putting her down so she can stroll a
      bit (with Sydney, it's usually strolling back to the house and the
      couch), but
      this was practically a Jane Fonda workout.

      Anybody know if catnip is at all harmful for cats? Hope not!

      -- Sarah (and Sydney)
    • howdeeeyall@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 1, 2005
        The catnip you gave her before might have been old and weak. Most catnip
        sold in packages for cats is quite wimpy--it's been on the shelf much too long,
        or processed wrong. I get my catnip in the bulk herb department at the local
        health food store--it's much stronger. Best thing is to get the HFS to order
        you a new bag--that will be fresher still.

        Dry herbs only last about six months before they are too weak.

        I wonder if my Leo would respond to this. He's still getting over serious
        injury to his leg, and that's how we discovered that he has RCM. He is very,
        very inactive. I might try some (fresh) catnip. I tried growing catnip, but he
        used to totally destroy the plants in a few minutes. I'd have to protect the
        plants from his depredations!

        I'll wait and see what other people say about the danger of overstimulation
        with kitty dope!

        Judith in NC

        > In my year with the inscrutable Sydney (we adopted her at the age of
        > 12 when her former owners had to relocate to Australia), I never
        > noticed much interest in catnip. I reread parts of Anitra Frazier's
        > wonderful book this weekend, and was struck by her anecdotes about
        > the catnip-dispensing vet she once worked for. This vet believed
        > that catnip, in limited (no more than once a week) doses, was
        > therapeutic.
        >
        > So I picked up some Cosmic Catnip this weekend and brought it home,
        > and had such a great experience! Sydney, who prides herself on
        > projecting disinterest whenever we're particular keen to get her to
        > do something, walked over and started rubbing her
        > face on the unopened carton.
        >
        > I sprinkled just a pinch on the rug, and she was immediately rolling
        > and purring, so I offered her a good sniff of the container, and she
        > stuck her face in it and took a huge chomp.
        >
        > For the next 20 minutes she was rolling, dancing and purring like
        > mad, so I got out her toys. Ever since she got sick six weeks ago,
        > she's not been interested in more than a little play. Not this
        > time! It was the Sydney Olympics. I watched carefully for
        > shortness of breath or any other symptoms, and she was totally fine,
        > just blissed out. The glow seemed to last through the next day.
        >
        > I hope there's nothing wrong with this, as I think that regular,
        > gentle exercise can do her good. I've been doing this by carrying
        > her out into the yard and then putting her down so she can stroll a
        > bit (with Sydney, it's usually strolling back to the house and the
        > couch), but
        > this was practically a Jane Fonda workout.
        >
        > Anybody know if catnip is at all harmful for cats? Hope not!
        >
        > -- Sarah (and Sydney)

      • marthe horn-Davis
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 1, 2005
          Hi,

          I grow our own. I started some last spring from seed
          inside and then put it in the garden...Its perennial
          and returns each year.

          As far as safety ?? I don't know, I guess moderation
          is good, I just give them a leave about once a week
          or less and stay away from giving the flowers...just
          in case these are harmful.

          Marthe, Gina and Lenny

          Marthe, Gina and Lenny
          --- howdeeeyall@... wrote:

          ---------------------------------
> [...]

          six weeks ago,
          > she's not been interested in more than a little
          play. Not this
          > time! It was the Sydney Olympics. I watched
          carefully for
          > shortness of breath or any other symptoms, and she
          was totally fine,
          > just blissed out. The glow seemed to last through
          the next day.

          > I hope there's nothing wrong with this, as I think
          that regular,
          > gentle exercise can do her good. I've been doing
          this by carrying
          > her out into the yard and then putting her down so
          she can stroll a
          > bit (with Sydney, it's usually strolling back to the
          house and the
          > couch), but
          > this was practically a Jane Fonda workout.
          >
          > Anybody know if catnip is at all harmful for cats?

          Your reply will go to the author of this message. If
          you feel your reply will benefit the entire group,
          please change the "To:" line to
          feline-heart@yahoogroups.com

          Animal
          health insurance pet
          Heart conditions
          Biology
          Health product for pet
          Natural pet health
          Pet health

          Terms of Service.

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • howdeeeyall@aol.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 2, 2005
            I don't think the flowers are a problem with catnip, which is in the mint
            family. People normally use the stalks, leaves and flowers all together. If you
            want the plant to last longer during the season, pinch off the flowers. More
            energy will go into the leaves and the plant won't wither as early. But as
            far as I know, it's fine to use mint family flowers in teas, etc.--they are not
            different from the leaves, except they may be a bit weaker in flavor.

            Judith in NC