Sydney Still Improving - Couple Questions re: herbs and Tapazole

  • combi_kin
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 26, 2005
      Hello, Fellow Cat Lovers,

      Just wanted to drop you a note to let you know that Sydney is
      almost completely her normal self. She's no longer wobbly, she's
      eating her new raw diet/Missing Link like a six-pound horse, and
      seems to have regained her cheerful outlook on life. Her activity
      level has increased from lethargic to lazy, but she was always a low-
      activity cat. It's only moderately hot here in Northern California,
      and she's enjoying being stretched out in those flat-cat-in-the-sun
      poses under the skylight.

      It's now 26 days since her diagnosis, when she went into a steep
      decline, stopped eating, and was too weak to walk more than 10 steps
      without stopping or lying down.

      She's also adapting well to getting her fish-flavored liquid
      Atenolol twice a day. I've been trying to give it to her one ml at
      a time, and waiting for her to swallow, and this is becoming a
      pretty polite event, compared to the initial gymnastics and target
      practice.

      QUESTION #1: Sydney's regular vet recommended that we treat her
      somewhat ambiguous hyperthyroid condition by giving Tapazole, but
      she's improving so fast that I am loathe to undo all that progress
      right now. Tap can make cats anorexic and can worsen or reveal
      kidney problems (her kidneys are normal now but undersized).

      QUESTION #2: My new problem, in addition to being reluctant to give
      the Tapazole, is that the holistic vet that I took her to
      recommended a supplement (Thorne's Bio-cardio) with hawthorne and a
      couple of herbs that supposedly increase the contraction of the
      heart (Terminalia arjuna extract 17.50mg and Tribulus terrestris
      extract 17.50mg), and that's the opposite of what we're trying to do
      with the Atenolol.

      If anyone has advice on holistic approaches to hyperthyroid, or on
      those heart herbs, I'd appreciate it. I have gotten some wonderful
      feedback from Rosemary, which has helped me tremendously.

      In the meantime, I'm supporting her continued improvement.

      Thanks, everyone, for your help. I'll keep you posted.

      -- Sarah (and Sydney)

      Sydney: 13-year-old calico DSH diagnosed 7/1/2005 with HCM (left
      ventricle hypertrophy LVFWd 7, all other heart measurements normal,
      pulse 220), Grade 4 out of 6 murmur, Total T4 1.3 (.4-5.2), Free T4
      5.1 (1.2-4.3). Atenolol 6.25 mg twice per day, CoEnzyme Q10
      20mg/day, Vitamin E 30mg/day, Taurine, L-carnitine, etc. in US
      Animal Nutritionals Heart Discovery. Pulse is now 120-140 with the
      Atenolol, activity 95% normal, appetite normal.