cant wont eat

  • bo1024
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 23, 2005
      My cat Cinnamon wont eat. I believe shes missing her buddie Sockster
      who
      died suddenly July 14. I brought his body home for all to view but
      She started
      getting sick about 4 days after he left and she started vomiting and
      not eating
      or drinking. We took her to the vet thur and all test are ok. A
      stomach xray
      blood test and toxic blood test and urine test. All ok. I got her to
      drink out of the
      hose real slow. Now Im worried as she isnt eating at all or care. I
      gave her
      medicine metoclopramide 4 doses and now Im not giving her anything.
      She
      hast vomited for over 24 hrs but she wont eat. I have tied every
      food. I got hills
      ad and gave her some she wont eat but I tonight got a couple
      spoonfuls
      down her. Im worried about her she 15 pounds and she needs some food.
      We
      have been talking and trying to love her as I felt she had a virus
      now Im not so
      sure. Any Ideas. I know I can get some meds to make her eat but I
      wanted to
      try to get her ok without that. Cinnamon hasnt got heart trouble or
      anything
      she 3. Janie
    • Karen
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 23, 2005
        Ask your vet for some a/d (high calorie) so you can keep her calories up a
        bit. Hipatic Lypidosis is a threat for cats who don't eat, especially
        overweight cats. It's *highly* appealing. I wonder if a Feliway diffuser
        would help destress her a bit. You can get them fairly inexpensively at
        www.petguys.com and I think at valleyvet.com too. I hope she starts eating.
        Is it hot there?
      • tedward19802
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 23, 2005
          For a temporary resolution, try canned salmon or some babyfood. I
          read tuna is not good to feed to cats, but can't remember why. We
          feed our cats a raw food diet, but we treaqt them to canned salmon
          2x a week. They love it!

          A far as meds, when our cat Devon stopped eating, the vet prescribed
          cyprohepradin (sp?). It's an antihistamine, but has shown to induce
          cats to eat. However, don't give the cat too much. We are talking
          a 1/4 tablet 1-2 times a day. I mention this from experience,
          because our former vet told me to give our sick cat 1/2 tab of cypro
          3x a day. The cat got sicker. But others on this board mentioned
          the smaller dosage. If it's going to work, the cat should eat about
          a 1/2 hour after administering the pill. Vet also may prescribe
          prednisolone.

          In the mean time, keep helping your kitty eat. You may need to get
          some syringes (10 or 20cc from a vet or pet store) and some sience
          diet A/D. Mix the A/D with some water to enable you to suck it up
          into the syringe. Try small feeding at first, maybe 30cc. Take
          your time, and do it in a place where you don't mind a mess, or lay
          down a sheet and feed the cat on it. It can get messy.

          Hang in there. Hopefully she is just missing her feline friend.
          Our cat Devon passed away 7-12-05, and his sister got depressed and
          didn't eat for a couple days. We gave her some salmon and she seemd
          to snap out of it.

          Keep us posted. If you need any help, just ask. Also, if you need
          more advise on assited feeding, check out the assisted feeding
          forum. That's where I got alot of info.

          Ted
        • Linda Fischbach
          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 24, 2005
            Janie, you are right that Cinnamon must eat. If you try syringe feeding,
            feed through the side of the mouth onto the tongue, and give only 1cc at a
            time and let her swallow.

            information.

            Linda

            > My cat Cinnamon wont eat. I believe shes missing her buddie Sockster
            > who
            > died suddenly July 14. I brought his body home for all to view but
            > She started
            > getting sick about 4 days after he left and she started vomiting and
            > not eating
            > or drinking. We took her to the vet thur and all test are ok. A
            > stomach xray
            > blood test and toxic blood test and urine test. All ok. I got her to
            > drink out of the
            > hose real slow. Now Im worried as she isnt eating at all or care. I
            > gave her
            > medicine metoclopramide 4 doses and now Im not giving her anything.
            > She
            > hast vomited for over 24 hrs but she wont eat. I have tied every
            > food. I got hills
            > ad and gave her some she wont eat but I tonight got a couple
            > spoonfuls
            > down her. Im worried about her she 15 pounds and she needs some food.
            > We
            > have been talking and trying to love her as I felt she had a virus
            > now Im not so
            > sure. Any Ideas. I know I can get some meds to make her eat but I
            > wanted to
            > try to get her ok without that. Cinnamon hasnt got heart trouble or
            > anything
            > she 3. Janie

            > feline-heart@yahoogroups.com
            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • marthe horn-Davis
            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 24, 2005
              Hi Janie,

              Agreed, Hepatic Lipidosis is a real concern! I tried
              something called Rebound Cat formula, electrolyte
              rich, high fibre, salmon flavour and liquid form, used
              for convalescing, post op, dental surgery feline
              patients. I thought it wouldn't work, bought it just
              in case, ROcky was sooooo sick, but to my amazement he
              drank it. After this his appetite was stimulated and
              he started to eat normally again..(he did get sick
              unfortunately and we lost him...(heart, FIP or
              leukemia????)

              ANyway good luck with Cinnamon. I know your hearts
              are heavy with the recent loss of Sockster,,,I hope
              this works...available at vet in canada, and sources
              may be found on the web...under rebound cat formula.

              Good Luck...Marthe, Gina and Lenny
              --- bo1024 <rhbutlerjr@...> wrote:

              ---------------------------------
[...]

              Your reply will go to the author of this message. If
              you feel your reply will benefit the entire group,
              please change the "To:" line to
              feline-heart@yahoogroups.com

              Terms of Service.

              http://mail.yahoo.com
            • Karen
              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 24, 2005
                on 7/24/05 10:13AM, marthe horn-Davis at marthehorndavis@... wrote:

                > Hi Janie,
                >
                > Agreed, Hepatic Lipidosis is a real concern! I tried
                > something called Rebound Cat formula, electrolyte
                > rich, high fibre, salmon flavour and liquid form, used
                > for convalescing, post op, dental surgery feline
                > patients. I thought it wouldn't work, bought it just
                > in case, ROcky was sooooo sick, but to my amazement he
                > drank it. After this his appetite was stimulated and
                > he started to eat normally again..(he did get sick
                > unfortunately and we lost him...(heart, FIP or
                > leukemia????)
                >
                > ANyway good luck with Cinnamon. I know your hearts
                > are heavy with the recent loss of Sockster,,,I hope
                > this works...available at vet in canada, and sources
                > may be found on the web...under rebound cat formula.

                Wow. I have never heard of this. Not a bad thing to have on hand.
              • Susan Burns
                Message 7 of 11 , Jul 24, 2005
                  hi janie.....if there's a health food store nearby,
                  get some slippery elm powder (from the inner bark of
                  the tree, preferably).....mix 1 tsp with 1/2 cup cold
                  water, then bring to a boil until it has a kind of
                  thickish consistency.....allow to cool, then syringe
                  approx 5 cc's (mls) into her mouth every few
                  hours.....you should do this away from food so that it
                  has time to coat the stomach and intestines......then
                  try offering small amounts of baby food which is also
                  easy on the gut......store the slippery elm concoction
                  in the fridge, and syringe up what you're going to
                  give about an hour beforehand so that it isn't
                  freezing cold going down....once the vomiting stops,
                  begin slowly introducing the regular diet (wellness or
                  another of the premium foods would certainly be
                  preferable to science diet)....works like a miracle
                  with my kitties when their tummies are
                  "off"......susan with roger rags >^..^<.....

                  marthe horn-Davis <marthehorndavis@...> wrote:

> [...]
                  > tied every
                  > food. I got hills
                  > ad and gave her some she wont eat but I tonight got
                  > couple
                  > spoonfuls
                  > down her. Im worried about her she 15 pounds and she
                  > needs some food.
                  > We
                  > have been talking and trying to love her as I felt
                  > she
                  > had a virus
                  > now Im not so
                  > sure. Any Ideas. I know I can get some meds to make
                  > her eat but I
                  > wanted to
                  > try to get her ok without that. Cinnamon hasnt got
                  > heart trouble or
                  > anything
                  > she 3. Janie
                  >

                  > Your reply will go to the author of this message. If
                  > you feel your reply will benefit the entire group,

                  "if you live to be a hundred, i want to live to be a hundred minus one day, so that i never have to live without you"....winnie the pooh

                  http://mail.yahoo.com
                • Linda Fischbach
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jul 24, 2005
                    To cook the slippery elm, do not use an aluminum or teflon pan. Stir
                    frequently while it is cooking -- a little whisk works great to break up the
                    powder; add the powder after the water boils. It took me about 15 minutes
                    to get it thick, even though I read it only takes a few minutes.

                    Linda

> [...]
                    >> now Im not so
                    >> sure. Any Ideas. I know I can get some meds to make
                    >> her eat but I
                    >> wanted to
                    >> try to get her ok without that. Cinnamon hasnt got
                    >> heart trouble or
                    >> anything
                    >> she 3. Janie
                    >>

                    >> Your reply will go to the author of this message. If
                    >> you feel your reply will benefit the entire group,
                    >> please change the "To:" line to
                    >> feline-heart@yahoogroups.com

                    >> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the
                    >> Yahoo!
                    >> Terms of Service.

                    >> Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam
                    >> protection around
                    >> http://mail.yahoo.com
                    >>

                    > "if you live to be a hundred, i want to live to be a hundred minus one
                    > day, so that i never have to live without you"....winnie the pooh

                  • Susan Burns
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jul 24, 2005
                      hi again.....i used to add it to boiling water, and it
                      did indeed take a long time to get syrupy.....for some
                      reason, mixing it with cold water first (it WILL look
                      lumpy) minimizes the cooking time, and the lumps
                      disappear once it begins to warm up.....good luck,
                      susan

                      Linda Fischbach <fischbl@...> wrote:

                      > To cook the slippery elm, do not use an aluminum or
                      > teflon pan. Stir
                      > frequently while it is cooking -- a little whisk
                      > works great to break up the
                      > powder; add the powder after the water boils. It
                      > took me about 15 minutes
                      > to get it thick, even though I read it only takes a
                      > few minutes.
                      >
                      > Linda

                      "if you live to be a hundred, i want to live to be a hundred minus one day, so that i never have to live without you"....winnie the pooh

                      http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
                    • Linda Fischbach
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jul 24, 2005
                        I checked my directions -- you are right that you add it to the cold water.
                        It still took a long time for me to thicken it.

                        Linda

                        > hi again.....i used to add it to boiling water, and it
                        > did indeed take a long time to get syrupy.....for some
                        > reason, mixing it with cold water first (it WILL look
                        > lumpy) minimizes the cooking time, and the lumps
                        > disappear once it begins to warm up.....good luck,
                        > susan
                        >

                        > Linda Fischbach <fischbl@...> wrote:
                        >
                        >> To cook the slippery elm, do not use an aluminum or
                        >> teflon pan. Stir
                        >> frequently while it is cooking -- a little whisk
                        >> works great to break up the
                        >> powder; add the powder after the water boils. It
                        >> took me about 15 minutes
                        >> to get it thick, even though I read it only takes a
                        >> few minutes.
                        >>
                        >> Linda
                        >>

                        > "if you live to be a hundred, i want to live to be a hundred minus one
                        > day, so that i never have to live without you"....winnie the pooh

                        > http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs

                        > feline-heart@yahoogroups.com
                        > Yahoo! Groups Links

                      • Susan Burns
                        Message 11 of 11 , Jul 24, 2005
                          hi anyes.....good update, and i'm glad you had such
                          success with mixing.....my understanding is that the
                          most effective means of utilizing slippery elm to its
                          maximum potential is to dose it before meals, say 20
                          minutes, so that it has time to coat the gut before
                          the food comes into play.....anyhoo, whatever works,
                          works.....susan

                          - Anyes <anyes@...> wrote:

                          Or you can use the powder raw likeI did. It
                          worked great. I justmixed it with a teaspoon of
                          babyfood and my kitty licked it off thespoon. It kept
                          her whole digestive track regular even with end
                          stagecrf.

                          Anyes and the girls