Second cat with HCM

  • plplat2003
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 7 1:12 PM
      I have 2 three-year-old Maine Coon males. Jesse has had HCM for
      almost 2.5 years, and is currently stable with the help of medication
      and a wonderful cardiologist.
      His brother Tristan developed congestive heart failure on Monday, and
      we are taking him to the cardiologist this afternoon for evaluation.

      I don't need information right now, just the comfort of communicating
      with others who know what it's like to have a beloved cat diagnosed
      with this terrible illness!

      Paula
    • Carla
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 7 1:29 PM
        Hi Paula,
        I'm new here (like a day or 2) and waiting for my cat's ultrasound
        next Tuesday to find out whether the murmur his vet heard during
        regular checkup is anything to be concerned about.

        The support in this group is fantastic, so i'm guessing you picked a
        good place to come visit.

        So sorry to hear bout your kitties. Hope they both respond well!

        carla

        --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "plplat2003" <plplat2003@y...>
        wrote:
        > His brother Tristan developed congestive heart failure on Monday, >
        Paula
      • crfcatsa
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 3, 2010
          My CRF (Chronic Renal Failure) cat of 3 years (renal failure began 3 years ago, he is 14 years old) has just been diagnosed with HCM. I already have one cat with HCM - diagnosed last year after throwing a clot who is on Enalapril, vitamin E, and aspirin. My CRF-HCM cat is on a half pill of a 25 mb Atenolol tablet once daily. He is 13 lbs. The dose makes him fairly sleepy for quite a while. I'd appreciate anyone with experience with Atenolol chiming in with observations about their cat's dosage and response. Are there any other suggestions to help support his heart function? Thanks.
        • Betty Ann
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 3, 2010
            Pixel is also a CRF-HCM cat with hypertension to add insult to injury. :)
            She gets 1/2 of a 2.5 mg Amlodipine once a day for her blood pressure. Her
            Atenolol is 1/4 of a 25mg tablet twice a day. Her other meds include Tumil-K
            (1.5 caplets twice a day) and generic Zantac 1/8 of a 75 mg twice a day. She
            doesn't seem to experience any major sleepiness. Her sleep pattern is pretty
            much unchanged since before her diagnosis. Right now she's taking a
            nap...she had to take care of her sick "daddy" and being a nurse kitty to a
            human is tiring work. To the surprise of my vet, Pixel is actually the most
            active of my 3 cats and the only one with health issues (so far). Pixel
            just turned 13 and weighs 9.5 pounds. BTW, the cardiologist who prescribed
            the Atenolol felt twice daily at a smaller dose keeps the blood levels of
            the medication more stable and more effective.

            Betty Ann

            Pixel (CRF, HCOM, HBP), Piton, Pipsqueak

            Angels Tandy, Toni and Snagglefoot