Re: [FH] Anyone else had trouble with Lasix and Side effects?

  • Susan Burns
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 6, 2005
      hi cindy.....not to frighten you, but jake sounds like
      he is in congestive heart failure, and lasix can save
      his life....coughing can be a sign of the lungs or
      chest cavity filling up with fluid, and lasix, or
      possibly even a chest tap, are absolutely, bar none,
      the most efficacious means of removing that
      fluid....lethargy and isolation may be difficult for
      you to experience in a companion animal, but i would
      waste no time in getting him to the vet for a chest
      x-ray (imperative) and heart ultra-sound if you can
      afford one.....in my humble opinion, you have what
      could constitute a real emergency on your
      hands.....we've been there, susan and roger rags

      cindyjnc <CINJKATZ@...> wrote:

      > This is my 1st post to this group. My cat Jake was
      > diagnosed with
      > cardiomyopathy 9 months ago. He had a bad reaction
      > to Lasix when it
      > was 1st prescribed. He was extremely lethargic and
      > stayed by himself
      > in a quiet room all day (Usually he stays by my side
      > all day). He
      > hasn't needed it until lately when I noticed that he
      > has started
      > coughing again. However, I am afraid to give it to
      > him because I
      > don't want him to suffer through that again. Are
      > there other options
      > to Lasix that have worked for other people. I plan
      > to call my vet but
      > I also wanted to try posting here for some info. He
      > also takes
      > Enacard which has never caused any bad effect.
      > Could possibly the
      > initial dosage of both meds caused the bad effects
      > for him.

      "if you live to be a hundred, i want to live to be a hundred minus one day, so that i never have to live without you"....winnie the pooh

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • ireneboater
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 7, 2005
        I've been starting to use Dandilion extract and I got a script for
        Spirolactone as well. Lasix, from what I hear, can damage the liver if
        used to much. Scratchy has been on Lasix for a while and just recently
        got Dandilion in his wet food. Spiro I haven't used that much yet but
        probably will give him 1/4 tab of a 25mg once a day in addition to his
        lasix.

        Scratchy is usually lethargic after I give him his meds (2.5mg of
        enalapril 1/2 of a 25mg of atenolol, 10mg of lasix twice a day) and at
        night he gets .06ml of fragmin. He perks up later but I think it's
        better for him to be a little tired than for him to go into CHF. I've
        had two little episodes of him doing that and he had to go to the
        emergency clinic to have intravenous lasix for a few days. If you
        haven't already, you should immediately to get xrays (or at the very
        least have a vet listen to his lungs) to see if there is fluid.
        Coughing is not normal, nor is fast fast breathing or panting.

        Good luck,

        Irene and Scratchy

        PS on another note, when I went to costco to pick up my meds (REALLY
        CHEAP THERE). The guy who rang me up was such a jerk. He was like, thi
        is a lot of money for a cat, why don't I give you this plastic bag and
        you can put him out of his misery. I want to write to costco and
        complain. People just DON"T understand and it pisses me off.