Re: [FH] HCM took my Sammy Without Notice

  • mfortner@att.net
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 2 3:09 PM
      I am so very sorry that you lost such a magnificant cat like this...and that you didn't get to be with him at the end. Sammy will always be in your heart....and will surely visit you in your dreams.

      There is often no way to know in advance. I have one friend whose 3 year old cat in perfect health suddenly died in her lap....undiagnosed HCM and a massive blood clot. Antother friend came home from a trip to find her cat in a coma - the pet sitter had been there just 2 hours before and the cat was fine. undiagnosed HCM and a massive blood clot.....her cat had to be euthanized. Until my Spice went into congestive heart failure after surgery to remove a cancerous growth in his mouth, he had no symptoms of HCM and had been in perfect health for all of his 7.5 years.

      So please don't feel guilty....grieve for Sammy but know that it was not your lack of caring that caused this to happen.

      Marge, Sugar, Spice (HCM), Creamsicle, and Callie
      Bridge Kitties Felix and Oscar
      Kitties at <http://tinyurl.com/s8ab>
    • Belinda Sauro
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 2 4:51 PM
        Yes HCM is often undiagnosed because most of the time there are no
        symptoms, that's what is really terrible about it. If your kitty has a
        heart murmur in a sense your lucky because it's signal to check them
        over, but if there is no outward sign anything is wrong there is
        absolutely no way to know. I lost a 9 year old tabby in perfect health
        as far as we knew until one day he was having trouble breathing before I
        could get him to the vet he had a convulsion and died. I was holding
        the carrier waiting for my ride when he convulsed and I knew he was
        gone. I took him to emergency anyway because I had to know if he choked
        on something, he didn't they told me he most certainly had a heart
        attack. I'm so sorry Sammy left this way.

        --
        Belinda
        Happiness is being owned by cats ...

        Be-Mi-Kitties ...
        http://www.bemikitties.com

        http://adopt.bemikitties.com

        FeLV Candle Light Service
        http://www.bemikitties.com/cls

        HostDesign4U.com (affordable hosting & web design)
        http://HostDesign4U.com

        BMK Designs (non-profit web sites)
        http://bmk.bemikitties.com