Re: [FH] sedation/anesthesia allowed with HCM/RCM?

  • lclarizia@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 2 10:34 AM
      In a message dated 7/1/2005 11:37:03 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
      mkratchman@... writes:

      > Ok--so what i am asking is: It's not recommended that HCM cats be sedated
      > in
      > any way--correct? I just haven't had any vet procedural issues come up since
      > he started seeing a cardiologist and if i DO go to the vet, i want to be
      > armed
      > with the correct info.

      Well, if it can be avoided, cats with CM shouldn't be anesthetized. However,
      when it's unavoidable, it can be done. All anesthesias are cardioreactive to
      some extent, though some are worse than others. My understanding is that
      ketamine, a common anesthetic, should be avoided. Baby Boy's been anesthetized
      with isofluorane gas and sedated with valium with no trouble.

      Lisa

      "Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened."

      - Anatole France