Dry food - vomitting

  • marthe horn-Davis
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 1, 2005
      Hi,

      Just a note that may be interesting...I switched both
      of my cats over the past 6 months very gradually from
      mostly dry diet to mostly moist...high quality high
      protein and meat. (Wellness or Eagle Pack)

      Today, (stupidly) I ran out of canned food and because
      it was a holiday here, fed the dry...Immediately the
      one cat threw up, she hasn't done this for a long
      time, since I switched her...

      Also, before the switch to moist food, and with other
      cats, vomitting was habitual ie at least a few times a
      week...in fact many mornings. I realize cats may throw
      up ie after eating grass and on occasion, but I have
      noticed generally, since switching to the moist food
      this has been a rare occurence and of particular note
      the fact that a temporary change has caused stomach
      upset...I also noticed sudden thirst in both cats just
      over the past day...anyway I am going to be extra
      careful not to run out of moist canned food..

      I am not trying to preach, and everyone needs to do
      what they feel is better for their cats...in our case
      though, the vomitting decreased significantly since
      the switch...initially the stools were softer but now
      they are normal...with the dry food, stools were also
      dry...and I think the kidneys are over compensated if
      dry food alone is fed..

      Just my 2 cents....

      Marthe, Gina and Lenny

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Cecilia Sullivan
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 2, 2005
        �I ran out of canned food and because
        it was a holiday here, fed the dry...Immediately the
        one cat threw up, she hasn't done this for a long
        time, since I switched her...�

        I also think it�s easier for cats to overeat dry food. And this is
        frequently what causes the vomiting. Ever notice how many potato chips or
        crackers one can put away without even noticing? Try and see if you can do
        that with a baked potato! You can�t! The water is filling, and the less
        water a food contains going in, the less it can absorb in the stomach.

        Dry food is very light�and compact�until it isn�t dry anymore. As soon as
        those kibbles absorb moisture from the stomach, they are big and heavy. I
        used to think vomiting dry food happened primarily due to not chewing food
        well enough. I have since noted that it seems to be more a matter of the
        swelling which occurs after a meal is consumed �and later gets tossed right
        back out.

        I have noticed that some of the high-fiber �hairball� diets (which are
        supposed to�in theory�reduce vomiting) that seem to cause the most trouble.
        Though this might seem counterintuitive, it�s interesting to note that the
        main source of fiber is cellulose, and cellulose makes a very effective
        sponge. I have a great big block of it in my kitchen sink, designed for
        just that purpose!

        Cecilia

        Vet Tech and Vet Tech Instructor

        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 5, 2005
          Hi Marthe,

          In a message dated 7/1/05 11:48:49 PM, marthehorndavis@... writes:

          << Today, (stupidly) I ran out of canned food and because

          it was a holiday here, fed the dry...Immediately the

          one cat threw up >>

          This happens sometimes...but given the consequences, you now know it's not a
          good idea to run out.

          << Also, before the switch to moist food, and with other

          cats, vomitting was habitual >>

          That's b/c cat bodies have not evolved over millions of yrs to eat dry
          nuggets of grain. If you ate, say, the eucalyptus leaf diet of a koala bear, you'd
          vomit habitually, too.

          << I have

          noticed generally, since switching to the moist food

          this has been a rare occurence >>

          That's great. Imagine going thru life vomiting constantly.

          << of particular note

          the fact that a temporary change has caused stomach

          upset >>

          That's generally b/c the gut flora is no longer geared to the ingredients in
          dry...and that the ingredients are not species appropriate.

          << I also noticed sudden thirst in both cats >>

          Dry food is about 10% moisture. Cats have evolved to consume 60-80% moisture
          in their prey animals. Not only is dry food low in moisture in itself but it
          draws moisture from the body (each 1g of carbohydrate draws 3g water). Cats
          have a limited thirst mechanism and can never drink enough water to compensate
          for the moisture loss of a high carbohydrate diet...so they end up chronically
          dehdyrated.

          << initially the stools were softer but now

          they are normal...with the dry food, stools were also

          dry >>

          That's b/c of the high plant fiber content...usually insoluble fiber eg
          cellulose, which promotes gut transit...and lack of moisture. // Rosemary
        • Deena
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 5, 2005
            In a message dated 7/1/05 11:48:49 PM, marthehorndavis@... writes:
            I ran out of canned food and fed the dry...Immediately the
            one cat threw up

            If it was one of the better kibbles, which uses only natural
            preservatives, it might have been rancid.

            I attended a seminar given by Lisa Freeman recently - the
            nutritionalist at Tufts. She said that the "natural" kibbles remain
            stable for only about 3 months from *manufacture*. I thought it was
            3 mos from when the bag is 1st opened and hits air. I use very
            little kibble, but now keep the bag in the freezer and only remove
            what I need for a few weeks. I've also started looking for "date of
            manufacture" on the bag.

            Deena