Re: [FH] sedation/anesthesia allowed with HCM/RCM?

  • savionna@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 1, 2005
      Hi Michelle,

      In a message dated 7/1/05 11:37:23 AM, mkratchman@... writes:

      << Thumper is constipated. >>

      What does the cat usually eat (brand, flavor, canned or dry)? How is the
      cat's hydration? In addition to obstruction and mechanical issues (muscular,
      skeletal, or neurological), moisture balance in the gut plays a major role in
      constipation...and moisture balance is affected in large part by diet.

      << I am worried now because he passed a hard poop over 24 hours ago. I fed

      him a babyfood/psyllium/butter/water remedy (from Anitra Frazier's book) and

      am now waiting for something to happen. >>

      It may be worthwhile to consider a small amt (eg 5-10 drops) of pure aloe
      vera inner-leaf juice or whole-leaf gel (no sodium benzoate, no aloin)...eg Lily
      of the Desert brand...which has a very gentle stimulating action. Another
      option is slippery elm bark, which helps restore moisture balance.

      And if you think that diet is playing a role, then it may be helpful to look
      into that...and possibly incl a small amt of soluble fiber daily. // Rosemary
    • lclarizia@aol.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 2, 2005
        In a message dated 7/1/2005 11:37:03 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
        mkratchman@... writes:

        > Ok--so what i am asking is: It's not recommended that HCM cats be sedated
        > in
        > any way--correct? I just haven't had any vet procedural issues come up since
        > he started seeing a cardiologist and if i DO go to the vet, i want to be
        > armed
        > with the correct info.

        Well, if it can be avoided, cats with CM shouldn't be anesthetized. However,
        when it's unavoidable, it can be done. All anesthesias are cardioreactive to
        some extent, though some are worse than others. My understanding is that
        ketamine, a common anesthetic, should be avoided. Baby Boy's been anesthetized
        with isofluorane gas and sedated with valium with no trouble.

        Lisa

        "Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened."

        - Anatole France