sedation/anesthesia allowed with HCM/RCM?

  • mkratchman
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 1, 2005
      Hey everybody--
      i have a concern that just came up. Thumper is constipated. This has
      happened before, over 2 years ago, before his heart murmur was detected. It
      went too long without being dealt with, so he was either put under sedation or
      anesthesia (don't remember) to have the blockage removed.

      I am worried now because he passed a hard poop over 24 hours ago. I fed
      him a babyfood/psyllium/butter/water remedy (from Anitra Frazier's book) and
      am now waiting for something to happen.

      He is VERY regular and his stomach does look puffier than usual. Since it is
      the holiday weekend, i am panicking that the usual vet won't be around...and
      yet i don't want to jump the gun and take him in too soon, since Thumper gets
      SO worked up going to the vet.

      Ok--so what i am asking is: It's not recommended that HCM cats be sedated in
      any way--correct? I just haven't had any vet procedural issues come up since
      he started seeing a cardiologist and if i DO go to the vet, i want to be armed
      with the correct info.

      thanks!
      michelle & thumper
    • Susan Burns
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 6, 2005
        >hi michelle....it is my understanding also that
        anesthesia is best avoided in heart kitties whenever
        possible, but emergencies do arise.....you might
        google sevoflurane and etomidate, etomidate being
        touted by roger rag's cardiologist as the newest and
        safest for cardiology patients.....take care, susan

        > Ok--so what i am asking is: It's not recommended
        > that HCM cats be sedated in
        > any way--correct? I just haven't had any vet
        > procedural issues come up since
        > he started seeing a cardiologist and if i DO go to
        > the vet, i want to be armed
        > with the correct info.
        >
        > thanks!
        > michelle & thumper

        "if you live to be a hundred, i want to live to be a hundred minus one day, so that i never have to live without you"....winnie the pooh

        http://mail.yahoo.com