Re: [FH] Newly diagnosed

  • lclarizia@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 29, 2005
      Hi Tina (and Samson),

      Welcome to the list, though I'm sorry you had to join us.

      > Hi, my cat Samson was recently diagnosed with hypertropic
      > cardiomyopathy and moderate mitral regurgitation. My husband and I
      > are crushed but we understand that there really isn't much we can do
      > and that it isn't anyone's fault. He is on medication therapy and so
      > far so good, although it has only been a couple of days since we found
      > out he even had a problem. I am so angry that this is happening to
      > him. He is such a good cat and doesn't deserve this. I am crying as
      > I write this because he is like one of our children and we just can't
      > imagine our lives without him.

      I know -- we've all been there. The first few days and weeks are the worst,
      but you do adjust over time. Samson is lucky to have you guys to care for him
      -- good work getting him to a cardiologist!

      There *are* things you can do to help him. You can't fix his heart and you
      can't cure him, but there are many things you can do in addition to medication
      that can make a real difference to Samson's health and quality of life. Many
      of us are using alternative therapies in addition to meds -- vitamin
      supplements, homeopathic remedies, accupuncture, massage etc.

      My own cat, Baby Boy, has end-stage dilated cardiomyopathy. He's getting
      enalapril, lasix and spironolactone, and a ton of vitamin supplements. These
      have made a huge difference in how he feels and in basically keeping him alive.
      He was diagnosed last August, and as bad as his heart is, shouldn't be here
      now. His time, unfortunately, is limited no matter what I do, but every extra
      day is a huge gift. Other people have had similar success with their kitties.

      What meds is Samson getting now? How did he happen to be diagnosed -- was he
      in CHF?

      Again, welcome, and don't be afraid to ask any questions -- we're always here!

      Lisa

      "Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened."

      - Anatole France