Re: [FH] I need supplement suggestions...

  • lclarizia@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 29, 2005
      In a message dated 6/29/2005 3:48:08 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
      cb_brinkman@... writes:

      > My kitty was diagnosed with HCM in February. He is asymptomatic (knock on
      > wood), with no dietary or exercise restrictions. He takes 6.25 atenolol
      > twice a day. I'd like to start adding in supplements.
      >
      > What two do you suggest, and at what dose?

      Supplements are given to achieve specific goals, and I break them down into
      three specific purposes, with different supplements falling into different
      categories (although some supplements can be used in more than one category, and
      this is not an exhaustive list -- just some examples):

      1.) Improving heart function

      - Coenzyme q10 for energy, prevents apoptosis (cell death)
      - Amino acids (L-carnitine, taurine, L-lysine etc.)
      - Antioxidants (Vitamins A & E etc.)
      - Cofactors in energy-producing metabolic pathways (B vitamins)
      - Dimethylglycine/Trimethyl glycine (energy)
      - MSM (energy)

      2.) Ameliorating symptoms specific to symptomatic cardiomyopathy/CHF

      - Dandelion (diuretic)
      - Coenzyme q10 (cachexia)
      - Vitamin B12 (cachexia)
      - Vitamin E (anticoagulant)
      - L-arginine (anticoagulant)
      - Nattokinase (anticoagulant)

      3.) Supporting general health

      - Fish oils (fatty acids, fat-soluble vitamins)
      - Creatine (supports skeletal muscle)
      - Colostrum (source of IgG)
      - Dimethylglycine/Trimethyl glycine (energy)
      - MSM (energy)

      The type of supplements you give should be individual to the cat, and depend
      on where the cat is in the disease process. For instance, your kitty is
      asymptomatic so might not need a bunch of supplements from category 2, although you
      might decide to use nattokinase to help prevent clots.

      Supplements from category 3 are to help support general health and are useful
      if you have a cat like mine -- fussy, finicky, always been a poor eater who
      prefers to lick sauce from the food rather than eat the solid stuff and won't
      touch plain meat raw, lightly cooked, fully cooked, or prepared in any way.
      But, if your cat eats well you're probably better off investigating dietary
      changes to support general health as the nutrients in food tend to be more
      bioavailable than those that come from a bottle.

      For your kitty, who is asymptomatic, I recommend (and remember, I'm not a
      vet):

      - Coenzyme q10, up to 60 mg/day (start with 15 mg once a day, see how the
      kitty does, and work your way up from there). You could give more than that --
      Baby Boy gets 200 mg/day -- but this stuff is not cheap, and at the
      asymptomatic stage, megadoses are not likely to have any extra effect that would justify
      giving so much.

      - L-carnitine and taurine, 250 mg each per day. They come in different forms
      -- tablets, liquids -- but amino acids tend to be bitter so they need to be
      well-crushed and hidden in foods. If your kitty is a good eater, you could
      achieve the same end by giving him chicken hearts, which are rich in both. I
      don't want to get into the whole raw vs. cooked debate, except to say that raw
      meats always present some danger of food poisoning (the extent of this risk is
      the subject of some spirited debate) and cooking does destroy nutrients to a
      degree -- the more it's cooked, the more destruction. My sick kitty won't eat
      them, but one of my other cats can't get enough of them. I'm personally leery
      of feeding raw meat, as my closest source for hearts is a chain supermarket
      and who knows where the stuff has been -- so I lightly cook them. Solid organ
      meat, if contaminated, will only be contaminated on the surface so a quick
      searing of well-rinsed hearts will destroy most/all bacterial contaminants while
      preserving a good part of the nutrients.

      I would start with those three, and re-evaluate periodically. If the kitty
      tolerates those well, and you can get away with hiding things in his food, you
      might want to add others. I make my supplement mix at home, though there are
      plenty of compound formulations available commercially. I would specifically
      stay away from any cardiac supplement which contains hawthorne, which can
      cause arrythmias, sometimes fatal, in cardiomyopathies.

      Start slowly -- most cats tolerate them just fine, but any new substance can
      have a negative digestive effect -- and add them one at a time. Different
      supplements have different recommended dosages, and the dose for so always
      investigate that before you start giving a new supplement. Water soluble vitamins,
      such as the B group, are hard to overdose as excess is excreted (although
      megadoses of even water soluble vitamins can cause kidney issues). Fat soluble
      vitamins, like Vitamin E, are stored by the body so care must be taken not to
      overdose, although cats, being carnivores, have higher tolerance for fat soluble
      vitamins.

      I hope that helps! And thanks to Irene for calling me an expert, although
      I'm not *really* an expert :)

      Lisa

      "Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened."

      - Anatole France