Re: [FH] help needed with mysterious discharge

  • mfortner@att.net
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 29, 2005
      From: Lance Trickey <lancetrickey@...>
      > My wife is going to call the Vet in the morning. What is this? any
      > ideas? Could he be leaking a bit because he has to go all the time.
      > Is a small amount of blood in his urine cause for alarm at this point.

      Blood in the urine is usually a sign of a urinary tract infection. He should probably checked by your vet.
      --
      Marge, Sugar, Spice (HCM), Creamsicle, and Callie
      Bridge Kitties Felix and Oscar
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 29, 2005
        Lance --

        Is he getting any kind of anticoagulant? Does it look like fresh blood? As
        to whether or not blood in the urine is something to worry about -- it's never
        "normal" but can arise from a bunch of different causes. Have you checked
        his litterbox to see if there's any there?

        Lisa

        "Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened."

        - Anatole France

      • Lance Trickey
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 29, 2005
          Aspirin 81mg / 72hrs.

          Yes it does look like fresh blood, the spots i'm referring to have a
          rust colored ring, and have been 1/4 inch to 3/4 inch across. I just
          can't tell where they're coming from. Definitely mostly clear liquid
          with just a trace of blood(?)

          They litter box seems okay , I just changed it and he followed me and
          christened it when I was finished. If it was there, it was such a
          small amount I just couldn't see it.

          as for a urinary tract infection, we'll be call the vet in the
          morning to see what she thinks.

          -Lance

        • lclarizia@aol.com
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 29, 2005
            In a message dated 6/29/2005 11:06:04 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
            lancetrickey@... writes:

            > Aspirin 81mg / 72hrs.
            >
            > Yes it does look like fresh blood, the spots i'm referring to have a
            > rust colored ring, and have been 1/4 inch to 3/4 inch across. I just
            > can't tell where they're coming from. Definitely mostly clear liquid
            > with just a trace of blood(?)

            I hate it when they do that ... mystery discharge, that is.

            Honestly, I can't figure out what it might be unless it's in the urine, but
            it's strange that you'd only see it on the bed and not on his fur or in the box.

            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 29, 2005
              I thought for sure I'd be able to find dampness in an appropriate
              area but everything seemed dry as a bone. He didn't appreciate my
              scrutiny. ;-)

              -Lance

              On Jun 29, 2005, at 11:11 PM, lclarizia@... wrote:

              > In a message dated 6/29/2005 11:06:04 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
              > lancetrickey@... writes:
              >

              >> Aspirin 81mg / 72hrs.
              >>
              >> Yes it does look like fresh blood, the spots i'm referring to have a
              >> rust colored ring, and have been 1/4 inch to 3/4 inch across. I just
              >> can't tell where they're coming from. Definitely mostly clear liquid
              >> with just a trace of blood(?)
              >>

              > I hate it when they do that ... mystery discharge, that is.
              >
              > Honestly, I can't figure out what it might be unless it's in the
              > urine, but
              > it's strange that you'd only see it on the bed and not on his fur
              > or in the box.
              >
              > Lisa
              >

              > "Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains
              > unawakened."
              >
              > - Anatole France

            • Lynn
              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 30, 2005
                Hi Lance,

                Just a thought... did you try looking on the other end?
                Some of these meds can affect the oral tissues as well, and I believe drooling may be a
                symptom of heart problems. Could be a mixture of saliva and blood from irritated, dryed
                out tissue or a periodontal (gum) problem.
                It's difficult to really check out a cat's mouth thouroughly, so have your vet take a look
                there too.

                Lynn & Teegan
                ``````````````

                --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, Lance Trickey <lancetrickey@m...> wrote:
                > I thought for sure I'd be able to find dampness in an appropriate
                > area but everything seemed dry as a bone. He didn't appreciate my
                > scrutiny. ;-)
                >

                > -Lance

                > On Jun 29, 2005, at 11:11 PM, lclarizia@a... wrote:
                >
                > > In a message dated 6/29/2005 11:06:04 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
                > > lancetrickey@m... writes:
                > >
                > >> Aspirin 81mg / 72hrs.
                > >>
                > >> Yes it does look like fresh blood, the spots i'm referring to have a
                > >> rust colored ring, and have been 1/4 inch to 3/4 inch across. I just
                > >> can't tell where they're coming from. Definitely mostly clear liquid
                > >> with just a trace of blood(?)
                > >>

                > > I hate it when they do that ... mystery discharge, that is.
                > >
                > > Honestly, I can't figure out what it might be unless it's in the
                > > urine, but
                > > it's strange that you'd only see it on the bed and not on his fur
                > > or in the box.
                > >
                > > Lisa
              • Lois Benes
                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 30, 2005
                  Lance: One more thing to check on…fleas. Back in my earlier days I would
                  find blood spots (sometimes big ones) on sheets or towels and would not even
                  think that it might be fleas. It was. Now of course I’ve learned how to
                  control them. Lois

                  And…a thank you to the group member who suggested getting the “cat carrier”
                  out for a few days before a scheduled visit to the vet. Winston was due for
                  his annual check-up this week and so I put the carrier out about a week
                  early. The day of the visit I found him asleep in the carrier – so just
                  zipped it up and away we went. At the vet’s he spent most of his time
                  purring in the carrier. It was a 100% success – no stress - and so my
                  thanks for the suggestion.

                  _____

                • marthe horn-Davis
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jun 30, 2005
                    Hi Lance,

                    Just a guess but could it possibly be an abscess,
                    sometimes these will leak and are caused by a claw
                    from another cat, and can go unnoticed...Don't know if
                    your cat is in contact with other cats, or if there
                    are other cats in the home...

                    Marthe, Gina Lenny
                    --- Lance Trickey <lancetrickey@...> wrote:

                    ---------------------------------
                    I thought for sure I'd be able to find dampness in an
                    appropriate
                    area but everything seemed dry as a bone. He didn't
                    appreciate my
                    scrutiny. ;-)

                    -Lance

                    On Jun 29, 2005, at 11:11 PM, lclarizia@... wrote:

                    Daylight Time,
                    > lancetrickey@... writes:
                    >

                    >> Aspirin 81mg / 72hrs.
                    >>
                    >> Yes it does look like fresh blood, the spots i'm
                    referring to have a
                    >> rust colored ring, and have been 1/4 inch to 3/4
                    inch across. I just
                    >> can't tell where they're coming from. Definitely
                    mostly clear liquid
                    >> with just a trace of blood(?)
                    >>

                    > I hate it when they do that ... mystery discharge,
                    that is.

                    > Honestly, I can't figure out what it might be unless
                    it's in the
                    > urine, but
                    > it's strange that you'd only see it on the bed and
                    not on his fur
                    > or in the box.
                    >
                    > Lisa
                    >

                    > "Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul
                    remains
                    > unawakened."
                    >
                    > - Anatole France

                    removed]

                    Your reply will go to the author of this message. If
                    you feel your reply will benefit the entire group,
                    please change the "To:" line to
                    feline-heart@yahoogroups.com

                    Terms of Service.

                    http://mail.yahoo.com
                  • savionna@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jul 1, 2005
                      Hi Lance,

                      In a message dated 6/29/05 10:09:24 PM, lancetrickey@... writes:

                      << What is this? >>

                      It may be blood from the urinary tract, the mouth, or a wound/bite.

                      << Is a small amount of blood in his urine cause for alarm at this point. >>

                      Depends. Blood in the urine can be caused by bacterial infection, sterile
                      inflammation, crystals, or renal issues...or any combination. All of these are
                      also related to diet, along with other causes. What does the cat eat (brand,
                      flavor, canned or dry)?

                      Apart from the blood, frequent urination and/or incontinence can be
                      associated with renal issues, diabetes, and mechanical issues (muscular, skeletal, and
                      neurological)...as well as with synthetic medications. // Rosemary