Re: [FH] Just Diagnosed w/ HCM.....

  • Jan Fagg
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 29, 2005
      Hi JWC,

      My 2 year old cat Nisha has just been diagnosed with HCM too. Luckily, she
      hasn't had any symptoms yet apart from a grade 3 to 4 mitral valve murmur.
      I have only had her since April and she was supposed to be my foundation
      breeding queen. This is why, despite no other symptoms, I took her to a
      cardiologist as I didn't want to breed from a cat with a possible hereditary
      problem.

      Like you, I am very upset about this because leaving aside the breeding
      issue (she has now been spayed) she is a beautiful cat and so friendly and
      sweet. I'm in a better situation than you in that her HCM has been found in
      the early stages but I do know how shocked you must be. I didn't know I
      liked cats either until I took in my first one some 30 years ago. :o)) I
      have 7 dogs and 9 cats now so I guess you can say I like animals in general.
      LOL

      From the short time I've been on this list, I've learnt that with diligent
      and loving owners, these cats can have a good quality of life for some time
      All you can do is love him for the time you have him and pray that will be
      for a lot longer than you expect. I also have a 13 yr old dog who was
      diagnosed with severe heart problems at 7 years old (he had a pacemaker for
      5 years) and despite grim prognoses and enforced removal of the pacemaker
      due to infection 2 yrs ago, he is still here with me. These animals can
      really surprise us.

      I hope that tomorrow brings better news about Little.
      Jan (W.Sussex UK)

      Amilynd Exotics & Devon Rex

      www.amilyndcats.co.uk

      www.janspack.co.uk