Re: [FH] Pascal update

  • Susan
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 3, 2005
      --- e_m_sullivan <e_m_sullivan@...> wrote:
      Vet
      > told me to still be hopeful about recovery of
      > function to the leg,
      > not too late, and he says the blood does have other
      > routes which do
      > click in.

      Right, collateral circulation can develop.

      > Then the bad, but not really unexpected news, in
      > that his heart is
      > pretty bad. Heart very enlarged, with large right
      > atria, and
      > clear "smoking ?" showing blood cell aggregation.

      The smoke is visible stasis of the blood in the
      atrium.

      In most of our HCM cats it is the left ventricle/left
      atria that are thickened and enlarged. Left LV & LA
      abnormalities results in lung symptoms of congestive
      heart failure resulting in pulmonary edema or pleural
      effusion. The right sided involvement is a less bad
      situation in the fact that right sided heart failure
      causes edema rather than lung issues. Also the left
      side is the oxygen side, the right side is bringing
      the deoxygenated blood back.

      > Ventricles not
      > relaxing properly. Congestion (swollen vein ?) to
      > liver side
      > (unusual, is usually on the other side which are the
      > lungs
      > apparently) - slightly better than lung side.

      > Biochem ok except for
      > high urea (which I guess is just dehydration as have
      > had this
      > before). Have not got thyroid test back yet, but
      > unlikely to be
      > problem he says.

      If it is hyperT and that should have been ruled out by
      the DVM then it is potentially reversible.

      > Has prescribed Fragrin ? to reduce risk of clotting.
      > Periactin which
      > stimulates appetite and also has side effect of
      > increasing blood
      > flow to the leg. Also Ventredin ? this is not
      > licensed on cats yet,
      > but he is experimenting as it both helps the
      > ventricles close and
      > seems to really help break the embolism down as a
      > side effect -
      > problem is that is a very large capsule (has trouble
      > getting down
      > dogs even).
      >
      > He said that I should not be too hopeful, basically
      > his heart is
      > pretty wrecked. If the leg does not recover then
      > that would probably
      > be too tough for him to take with it in current
      > condition. If it
      > does then drugs and care could keep him in a good
      > quality life for
      > some period, but not likely to be that long. He says
      > make decision a
      > day at a time, as long as Pas is ok, we can see how
      > it works out.
      >
      > Thanks again - I will update again so future posters
      > see the full
      > story !

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • mae liu
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 3, 2005
        Pascal and Elaine,

        All our good thoughts are going your way. Pascal, you can do it : )

        xoxo
        mae, placido and nicky

      • Lynn
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 4, 2005
          Hi Elaine,

          Just wanted to add my best wishes for Pascal's recovery.
          Teegan and I are sending good thoughts and prayers your way.
          I'm always amazed by a cat's ability to overcome incredible odds,
          or at least keep them at bay for a lot longer than I ever imagined.
          I've learned more from them about inner strength, perserverence
          and adjustments to limitations than from any human I know.
          Teegan, his siblings and I are rooting for you and Pascal !

          Big hugs to you and Pascal ~ Hang in there! :-)

          Lynn & Teegy