[FH] Re: Salmonella

  • Shannon
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 2, 2005
      The only meat in our house is the cat food. I stopped eating it a long time
      ago partly because it is dangerous but mostly because I like animals too
      much to eat them. This is from the Centers for Disease Control and
      Prevention:

      After eating contaminated food, people can develop anything from a short,
      mild illness, often mistakenly referred to as "food poisoning," to
      life-threatening disease. CDC estimates that 76 million Americans get sick,
      more than 300,000 are hospitalized, and 5,000 people die from foodborne
      illnesses each year.

      What foods are most associated with foodborne illness?

      Raw foods of animal origin are the most likely to be contaminated; that is,
      raw meat and poultry, raw eggs, unpasteurized milk, and raw shellfish.

      Shannon
      Daisy: Maine Coon mix, 4 years old, diagnosed at age 1-1/2, asymptomatic
      HCM, 6.25 mg atenolol daily

      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 2, 2005
        A girl in my office almost lost her 2-year old daughter to e-coli poisoning. One more thing that you can catch.

        Sue

      • Nicole Tuck
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 3, 2005
          Hi Everyone,

          While its true that animals are more immune to food borne illness then humans, it is still a concern.

          My dog, who is normally perfectly healthy, is still recovering from a bout of e-coli that he has had for over 2 weeks. He had to stay at the Vet's for over a week. Since I do not feed raw food, the Vet suspected that he got it from swimming in a pond in an off leash area. It is very serious!

          These type of bacteria (e-coli and salmonella) mutate with time, and what strains were around years ago have now changed, and many are more dangerous. A good example of this is e-coli 157, which was rare in the past, is now being seen more and more.

          I know everyone has different opinions, and this is just mine.

          Nicole