Re: Salmonella

  • Deena
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 2, 2005
      --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "Shannon" <shannon5@c...>
      wrote: Another thing that I worry about is the humans that live with
      the cats that eat raw contracting salmonella or e coli.

      Yes this is a risk, but is it any greater than from the meat you
      prepare for the humans?

      My Nana used to occasionally feed us raw hamburger because she said
      it would help us fight off bugs (boost our immune system) The same
      is true for a little salmonella & e-coli exposure. Cat's mouths are
      pretty antiseptic and their saliva kills much of the yukkies in the
      meat. So getting kissed by a raw fed kitty is not the risk many
      perceive it to be. Cats might shed salmonella in their poop, but
      hopefully you teach kids not to eat poop. Here's one of my favorite
      articles discussing the reality of salmonella
      http://k9joy.com/dogarticles/doghealth01salmonella.pdf

      I've been feeding raw for years with zero illness caused by raw
      meat. According to the studies, this should be scientifically
      impossible especially considering we have every risk factor living
      in our house. My son was a toddler when I converted to raw and I'm
      sure put many things in his mouth he shouldn't including kitty
      krunchies. My in-laws are in their 80's and one is very weak. My
      hub and I both have multiple autoimmune disorders. I especially am
      very immune compromised. My cleanliness skills are challenged at
      best. If there was ever a perfect environment for food poisoning,
      my house could top the list.

      Again, everyone needs to make their own decision on what is
      ultimately best for your individual situation. I just want
      decisions to be based on fact rather than fear that might have been
      planted by folks who profit from our fears. Everything carries a
      risk in life. The USDA makes the dairy industry pasteurize
      everything to kill potential bugs which might make us sick. But
      they allow salmonella infected chicken to be sold. I can only
      assume if this was the danger some want us to believe it is, that
      poultry would also get sterilized even though that means that
      nutritional content goes way down.

      Deena