Re: Advice needed, playing and the HCM cat.

  • turkishangoraathumanesociety
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 2, 2005
      I used to worry about that ALL the time with Lillie, but was finally
      told by our (probably exasperated by my neurotic worrying about every
      little thing) Vet cardiologist: "She's got a heart condition, but she
      is NOT AN INVALID" lol! He went on to let me know that cats know when
      too much is too much and will rest when they need to. Hope your kitty
      will do well.

      --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, Lance Trickey <lancetrickey@m...>
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 2, 2005
        By the way...I should add that you would gasp with fright if you saw
        some of Lillie's acrobatics sometimes. She will FLY up to the top of
        the cat tree and JUMP (from the top) to the ground, and repeat this
        about five times. It's very good cardiovascular exercise and then she
        naps for a while. :)

        --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "turkishangoraathumanesociety"
        <turkishangoraathumanesociety@y...> wrote:
        > I used to worry about that ALL the time with Lillie, but was finally
        > told by our (probably exasperated by my neurotic worrying about every
        > little thing) Vet cardiologist: "She's got a heart condition, but she
        > is NOT AN INVALID" lol! He went on to let me know that cats know
        when
        > too much is too much and will rest when they need to. Hope your kitty
        > will do well.
      • Susan
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 2, 2005
          If my memory serves me from a previous post involving
          Jen our resident paramedic, a vet told her that if a
          cat is on atenolol, the sympathetic surge one would
          expect during fear or I'm guessing here, excitement
          would be blocked by the beta-blocker atenolol if the
          cat is on a beta-blocker. I am thinking that both fear
          and fun result in a higher heart rate and that the
          higher heart rate is triggered by the release of
          catecholamines. They call it "fight or flight" and
          both play fighting with another cat and being scared
          by a dog would likely trigger the release of
          norepinephrine.

          Susan

          --- lclarizia@... wrote:

          > Hi Lance,
          >
          > You can't make a relax if it doesn't want to :) I
          > worry about over-exertion too as Baby Boy likes to
          > play with the kitten and they really go to town
          > sometimes.
          >
          > This is going to sound brutal, but ... if, and may
          > it never happen, Boy is going to throw a clot, it's
          > likely to happen whether or not you play with him.
          > So long as you don't over-do it and keep a careful
          > eye on him, let him be as active to the extent he
          > can tolerate it.
          >
          > But I know what you mean about worrying that you'll
          > cause it ... I still freak when Baby Boy and Binx
          > play, although I've learned to leave them alone and
          > only break it up when they start knocking chairs
          > over!
          >
          > Lisa

          __________________________________
          Yahoo! Mail
        • Susan
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 5, 2005
            OK this is human related but surely some vet might be
            able to do a feline research project since Bush hasn't
            forbidden feline stem cell research. Perhaps Dr. Rush
            or Bonagura?

            HEART DISEASE TRIUMPH
            By BRAD HAMILTON

            A top New York doctor says he's made a revolutionary
            breakthrough — using stem cells to reverse terminal
            heart disease in just a few months.

            Dr. Valavanus Subramanian, the chief of cardiovascular
            surgery at Lenox Hill Hospital, yesterday awed a
            medical conference in New York with a report on his
            groundbreaking trial, which was done in Ecuador to
            avoid federal and state regulations limiting the use
            of fetal stem cells.

            "The reason we go offshore is because it's not FDA
            approved," said a member of his team.

            The development brings new hope to the 5 million
            Americans who suffer from congestive heart failure,
            although under current law, they'd have to leave the
            country to be treated.

            The disease is invariably fatal, and can be cured only
            by a transplant.

            "I believe these are very compelling results," said
            Subramanian, one of the world's leading authorities on
            heart disease, who led a three-month clinical trial in
            which 10 patients were injected with fetal stem cells.

            "Heart failure is a terrible malady for which there is
            no solution. We felt this was the right time to go
            into stem-cell therapy."

            The patients, Ecuadorians ranging in age from 44 to
            77, showed rapid improvement, gaining strength and
            endurance as early as one week after the injections,
            Subramanian said.

            After only three months, their hearts were on average
            42 percent stronger, he said.

            One of the patients, a flower saleswoman who worked
            the beaches, was so sick she could barely walk. After
            the treatments, she returned to her sales job.

            "These people were pretty much in cardiac failure,"
            said the doctor, who worked with two Argentine
            surgeons, a stem-cell expert from the Ukraine and
            other leading doctors.

            The stem cells, culled from abortions and ectopic
            pregnancies, came from fetuses five to 12 weeks old.

            The patients, four men and six women, were given 80
            injections directly into their hearts late last year
            at the Luis Vernaza Hospital in Guayaquil.

            One suffered a mild stroke and had to drop out of the
            study, although she made a full recovery, Subramanian
            said. Another was dropped for not complying with a
            post-op regimen.

            The eight that remained underwent a battery of tests,
            including a six-minute walk that measured their speed
            and endurance.

            The private research firm that oversaw the trial, the
            Institute for Regenerative Medicine in Barbados, plans
            to do follow-up work with other patients, said project
            manager Barnett Suskind.

            "It's really exploring a new kind of science, the
            impact of which will change the lives of millions of
            people," he said.

            http://mail.yahoo.com