Re: [FH] Salmonella

  • Deena
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 2, 2005
      Natalie asked: Is it safe to feed raw, ground turkey or chicken?

      Susan replied: http://www.dvmnews.com/dvm/article/articleDetail.jsp?
      id=81801 "The November/December 2003 issue of the Journal of the
      American Animal Hospital Association provides a case report
      detailing the occurrence of septicemic salmonellosis in two cats fed
      a raw meat diet"

      Yes, cats can and do get salmonellosis as documented by the TWO cats
      in the study. (I wish they mentioned how many cats lived in the
      cattery, how long the owner had fed raw, and how many cats they
      raised on raw over the years that did not have any problems.)
      Salmonella and other nasties are also present in kibble. I recently
      attended a nutrition seminar given by Lisa Freeman. She said that
      naturally preserved kibble remains stable for only 3 months of
      manufacture, not after the bag is opened as I believed.

      The flip side is that salmonella poses less of a threat to cats as
      humans due to the strong acid of a cats stomach coupled with a short
      digestive system. http://www.rawfed.com/myths/

      So like many things, you need to weigh the pros & cons and decide
      what type of diet is best for your furbabies and your lifestyle.
      For me, I have seen too many advantages of feeding raw and feel the
      risk of salmonella is worth taking. I have fed ground
      chicken/turkey to both end-of-life cats and 3 wk old puppies w/o a
      problem for years. But everyone needs to make their own decision.

      Deena
    • Shannon
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 2, 2005
        Another thing that I worry about is the humans that live with the cats that
        eat raw contracting salmonella or e coli.

        Shannon
        Daisy: Maine Coon mix, 4 years old, diagnosed at age 1-1/2, asymptomatic
        HCM, 6.25 mg atenolol daily
        > Natalie asked: Is it safe to feed raw, ground turkey or chicken?
        >
        > Susan replied: http://www.dvmnews.com/dvm/article/articleDetail.jsp?
        > id=81801 "The November/December 2003 issue of the Journal of the
        > American Animal Hospital Association provides a case report
        > detailing the occurrence of septicemic salmonellosis in two cats fed
        > a raw meat diet"
        >
        > Yes, cats can and do get salmonellosis as documented by the TWO cats
        > in the study. (I wish they mentioned how many cats lived in the
        > cattery, how long the owner had fed raw, and how many cats they
        > raised on raw over the years that did not have any problems.)
        > Salmonella and other nasties are also present in kibble. I recently
        > attended a nutrition seminar given by Lisa Freeman. She said that
        > naturally preserved kibble remains stable for only 3 months of
        > manufacture, not after the bag is opened as I believed.
        >
        > The flip side is that salmonella poses less of a threat to cats as
        > humans due to the strong acid of a cats stomach coupled with a short
        > digestive system. http://www.rawfed.com/myths/
        >
        > So like many things, you need to weigh the pros & cons and decide
        > what type of dies best for your furbabies and your lifestyle.
        > For me, I have seen too many advantages of feeding raw and feel the
        > risk of salmonella is worth taking. I have fed ground
        > chicken/turkey to both end-of-life cats and 3 wk old puppies w/o a
        > problem for years. But everyone needs to make their own decision.
        >
        > Deena

        > feline-heart@yahoogroups.com
        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Deena
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 2, 2005
          --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "Shannon" <shannon5@c...>
          wrote: Another thing that I worry about is the humans that live with
          the cats that eat raw contracting salmonella or e coli.

          Yes this is a risk, but is it any greater than from the meat you
          prepare for the humans?

          My Nana used to occasionally feed us raw hamburger because she said
          it would help us fight off bugs (boost our immune system) The same
          is true for a little salmonella & e-coli exposure. Cat's mouths are
          pretty antiseptic and their saliva kills much of the yukkies in the
          meat. So getting kissed by a raw fed kitty is not the risk many
          perceive it to be. Cats might shed salmonella in their poop, but
          hopefully you teach kids not to eat poop. Here's one of my favorite
          articles discussing the reality of salmonella
          http://k9joy.com/dogarticles/doghealth01salmonella.pdf

          I've been feeding raw for years with zero illness caused by raw
          meat. According to the studies, this should be scientifically
          impossible especially considering we have every risk factor living
          in our house. My son was a toddler when I converted to raw and I'm
          sure put many things in his mouth he shouldn't including kitty
          krunchies. My in-laws are in their 80's and one is very weak. My
          hub and I both have multiple autoimmune disorders. I especially am
          very immune compromised. My cleanliness skills are challenged at
          best. If there was ever a perfect environment for food poisoning,
          my house could top the list.

          Again, everyone needs to make their own decision on what is
          ultimately best for your individual situation. I just want
          decisions to be based on fact rather than fear that might have been
          planted by folks who profit from our fears. Everything carries a
          risk in life. The USDA makes the dairy industry pasteurize
          everything to kill potential bugs which might make us sick. But
          they allow salmonella infected chicken to be sold. I can only
          assume if this was the danger some want us to believe it is, that
          poultry would also get sterilized even though that means that
          nutritional content goes way down.

          Deena