Re: Pascal - Saddle clot .. quite urgent

  • ireneboater
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 1, 2005
      Hi Elaine,

      So sorry to hear about your kityy, but definately give it time. If
      you go back in the archives, Scratchy - my kitty - had 2 major
      saddle thrombosis and 2 front leg thrombsis. He is doing ok right
      now. Almost 80-90%% himself I'd say. Sleepy most of the time but
      walking eating, pooping, everything!

      I'm lucky to have the time with him. I'll tell you that I have spent
      a lot of money on him but i think the major culprit of that is my
      vet charging me an arm and a leg. The more I learn the more I know
      that I DON"T have to do certain things.

      My cat is on Fragmin 6ml per day (sometimes 2 times a day, other
      people use Lovenex). 1/2 baby aspirin 2x times a week. Enalapril,
      Lasix (he has had 2 bouts of Congestive heart failure) and Atenol.
      He is on a few homopathic meds (nattokinese -- supposedly to help
      bust clots), CoQ10,Taurine, other people use B12- fish oil, vitamine
      E, etc etc.

      Give your cat a chance. The second time Scratchy had his saddle
      thrombosis, it took him a good 2-3 weeks to even start walking
      again. I love my kitty and would only euthenize him I knew that he
      would not recover. I gave him the chance to tell me if he would be
      able to continue. I know I am living with him on borrowed time but I
      know that he is happy and can take care of himself.

      Good luck and let me know if you need any help.

      PS ALL vets tell their pet's owner the same thing. They don't even
      give their cats a chance. "there is a 30% chance of survival, 50%
      chance he will re-clot, most likely you will have to have to take
      drastic measures to take care of you cat, cleaning him when he pees
      on himself, etc etc."

      This is what I heard when I brought Scratchy in Jan 2005. He
      survived and was walking within 2 weeks. Feb 14 he had sudden
      blindness which resolved in 24 hours. March 5th ish another saddle
      thrombosis. It took a little longer to resolve and then I started
      him on the Fragmin (I think asprine itself does nothing). april
      front leg had a clot. I wait hoping that he won't throw another
      clot -- but i know that I am doing all that I can to give him a
      chance. He's not in pain. He eats - but is losing weight but I think
      he looks damn good. (He also had a clot in Nov 04 but I had no idea
      what it was -- it was his front leg).

      Ultimately it's up to you. You will know when and if it is time.
      Many people have had very good experiences but you have to know that
      it may be weeks, months or years with Pascal. For me every moment
      that I have with Scratch is treasured.

      I hope this helped. I wrote a lot when it first happened look in the
      archives or email me if you want more info. The people on this list
      are amazing. Good luck.

      Irene and Scratchy.

      --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "e_m_sullivan"
      <e_m_sullivan@y...> wrote:
      > Pascal, my 12 year old tabby threw a clot (as I now know),
    • mae liu
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 2, 2005
        I e-mailed Elaine yesterday. Always forget to write the group address in the to: field. Elaine, don't give up yet especially Pascal is not suffering. Cats are amazing animals and they should be given a chance to recover.

        I just want to tell Irene that I started crying when I read your e-mail about Scratchy. It gives me so much hope since Placido's cardiologist didn't say anything encouraging to me. People in this group are so great and compassionate.

        mae, placido and nicky